“Fine For An Overnight Stop” 5 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Barkeyville
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1010 Dholu Road, Harrisville, PA 16038   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Harrisville
Pittsburgh, PA
“Fine For An Overnight Stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Pros: Very clean rooms. Clean common areas. This was one of the newer styled Super 8 hotels now converted to a Motel 6. Good value for those not wanting to stay right in Grove City. This area is cheaper and not as congested. Extended cable tv channels. Very quiet location with interior corridors. Arby's is right next door. Kings Family Restaurant is across the street and a large truck/travel plaza across the interstate for anything you might need.

Cons: Within reason, you have to have expectations with Motel 6. Don't expect any frills and you won't be disappointed. No pillow top mattresses or continental breakfasts here.

Bottom line: This is a clean, adequate and reasonably priced hotel to stay at on your way to the outlets or as an overnight stop on the interstate.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I'm not going to claim to expect five-star lodging for a $40 room for two. It's Motel 6. It's the kind of place you stay when a) you're on a long road trip on a low budget, b) you've reached the end of your life and are wishing for a place to swallow your misery and curl up and die, c) you've been had by a travel agency, d) Motel 6 reminds you of "home", or e) any or all of the above.

That being said, I am not one to complain about lodging... normally. Especially when my only other option would have been sleeping in a small Hyundai with another large person next to me.

This place... this PIT... was terrible. The first sign was the dirt in common places. When we arrived, there was about 2 weeks worth of dirt and dust on the stairs carpet, parts of the railing, and I saw *something* skitter along the ground under one of the vending machines. We got a smoking room, and though I've smelled stale smoke before, this place had an odor to it that would melt a garbage collector's sinuses. Two of the lampshades in our room were shredded, the blanket on the bed had a musty feel to it, and the two of us woke in the morning to find 30 to 40 small unidentified bugs in the bathroom on the floor, the sink, the shower, and the toilet.

Stay here only if you are desperate; even then, I might suggest finding a nest of fire ants and ask them if they have an extra bunk.

Room Tip: Non-smoking may be slightly better, but... the whole place was a sty.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Albany, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We stopped at this hotel after 12 hours on the highway. It was simply at the right place at the right time as it was getting dark and we were beat. We needed someplace that accepted pets (small dog) and Motel 6 almost always does. Having no desire to drive any further and try our luck with sparse exits and numerous deer, we gave it a shot.

The woman at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. From the looks of the lot, the place appeared to be less that 1/3 full, if that. So it was fairly quiet. Most of the patrons appeared to also be travelers and truckers stopping off for one evening on their way to someplace else.

The room was big and appeared clean, but had a very musty smell to it (which unfortunately is common in pet-friendly hotels). One pillowcase was lightly stained and one fitted sheet had an old cigarette burn in it (although it was a non-smoking room). They had obviously been washed and smelled clean, but had been damaged and still used. The bathroom was clean, spacious, had good water pressure and no mold. All the towels were clean.

There was coffee in the morning but no breakfast (the usual for Motel 6). There was an Arby's next door and a few other restaurants & gas stations nearby. Typical highway exit.

It was a little pricey for what we received, although we were walk-ins w/ no coupons or reservations and were not about to drive on any further that night. It wasn't terrible and had I paid $10-$15 less it would be a solid 3 on my rating scale. As is, i'd rate it a 2.5 if I could.

===== ===== =====

RATING SCALE: My ratings are generally based on value vs money. Thus, sometimes a simple hotel will receive a 4 or 5, while a fancy hotel can rank a 1 or 2 if I don't feel it was worth the cost.

Also, a hotel can do everything right and still only rank as a 4, unless there's something really exceptional about it.

5 = Hotel gets everything right, and goes above and beyond.
4 = Hotel gets everything right.
3 = Hotel is acceptable value for money spent.
2 = Hotel isn't worth the money spent.
1 = Hotel should pay ME to stay there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

Last year we had stayed here everything was worn out. When I book it through Motel 6 website I remember the address so we gave it a try.
Everything was brand new, new carpet, furniture only problem is free wifi internet does not work.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

I stayed at Super 8 Harrisville last night after checking with other hotels in the area. I figured they'd be the cheapest, since they are a well-known budget brand. But remember with franchises, you get what you pay for. I arrived at about 8:00 pm for check-in. Ruth did a very nice job, setting my wake-up call, giving me extra blankets and pillows and answering general questions. The room was very clean. No surprises there. I woke up again around 2:00a and got something to drink at the vending machines in the lobby. I spoke with Angie, the night auditor who told me in two weeks they were rebranding as a Motel 6. Truckers beware! You're about to lose everything you stay at Super 8 for! I can't find any mention of it on the Motel 6 site or by talking to corporate.

Quick note, the keys are not slide cards like everyone else uses. They have the old diamond-shaped key holder and a small prong that you put into the door. It turns green and you open it. Nowhere on the key is the room number mentioned! Very, very easy to lose keys (fortunately I didn't)!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
ann arbor, michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

We stopped at this hotel while travelling from Michigan to NYC on 80. It got late and we wanted a room just to sleep and head out in the morning. We were disappointed, since we expect better level of accomodation from Comfort Inns. It looked like an old, shabby travel motel that they tried to convert. The rooms were very small, but furniture has been updated. It wouldn't have been so bad, but they charged us $102, and that was with AAA discount. A very poor value, in my opinion. there was an ok breakfast bar in the morning. I wouldn't recommend this for anything other than a place to sleep while travelling on 80.

• Liked — location off expressway
  • Disliked — old and shabby
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Medford, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

Made an on-line reservation (with guarantee for late arrival) and confirmed it by phone the day before for 1 non-smoking room for 4 people. When we arrived we were told no rooms were available. After significant protests they indicated 2 smoking with one bed each rooms were available on two different floors. The rooms had not been cleaned so we needed to wait (this is 10 pm). The rooms were dirty and obviously very smelly.

Upon check out I realized they were charging me for two rooms. I protested that I had a confirmed reservation for 1 room for 4 people and should not be charged for the 2nd room. I further concluded that since neither room had been cleaned (at 10 pm) they really had no intention of renting them that night. The manager refused to budge and we paid for 2 rooms. They evidently saw us as desperate travelers to be taken advantage of. Since they obviously did not intend to rent those rooms that night they could have given us them for free and still been heros.

After several weeks of back and forth with national Super 8 folks (during which time the local managers of the motel refused to respond) they refunded me the cost of one of the rooms.

This was clearly a case of the inn-keeper taking advange of the traveler, who had a problem which was caused by the motel.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Motel 6 Barkeyville? Share your experiences!