“Fair enough for one night, but not much more” 3 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Barkeyville
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1010 Dholu Road, Harrisville, PA 16038   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Harrisville
Albany, NY
“Fair enough for one night, but not much more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We stopped at this hotel after 12 hours on the highway. It was simply at the right place at the right time as it was getting dark and we were beat. We needed someplace that accepted pets (small dog) and Motel 6 almost always does. Having no desire to drive any further and try our luck with sparse exits and numerous deer, we gave it a shot.

The woman at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. From the looks of the lot, the place appeared to be less that 1/3 full, if that. So it was fairly quiet. Most of the patrons appeared to also be travelers and truckers stopping off for one evening on their way to someplace else.

The room was big and appeared clean, but had a very musty smell to it (which unfortunately is common in pet-friendly hotels). One pillowcase was lightly stained and one fitted sheet had an old cigarette burn in it (although it was a non-smoking room). They had obviously been washed and smelled clean, but had been damaged and still used. The bathroom was clean, spacious, had good water pressure and no mold. All the towels were clean.

There was coffee in the morning but no breakfast (the usual for Motel 6). There was an Arby's next door and a few other restaurants & gas stations nearby. Typical highway exit.

It was a little pricey for what we received, although we were walk-ins w/ no coupons or reservations and were not about to drive on any further that night. It wasn't terrible and had I paid $10-$15 less it would be a solid 3 on my rating scale. As is, i'd rate it a 2.5 if I could.

===== ===== =====

RATING SCALE: My ratings are generally based on value vs money. Thus, sometimes a simple hotel will receive a 4 or 5, while a fancy hotel can rank a 1 or 2 if I don't feel it was worth the cost.

Also, a hotel can do everything right and still only rank as a 4, unless there's something really exceptional about it.

5 = Hotel gets everything right, and goes above and beyond.
4 = Hotel gets everything right.
3 = Hotel is acceptable value for money spent.
2 = Hotel isn't worth the money spent.
1 = Hotel should pay ME to stay there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

Last year we had stayed here everything was worn out. When I book it through Motel 6 website I remember the address so we gave it a try.
Everything was brand new, new carpet, furniture only problem is free wifi internet does not work.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

I stayed at Super 8 Harrisville last night after checking with other hotels in the area. I figured they'd be the cheapest, since they are a well-known budget brand. But remember with franchises, you get what you pay for. I arrived at about 8:00 pm for check-in. Ruth did a very nice job, setting my wake-up call, giving me extra blankets and pillows and answering general questions. The room was very clean. No surprises there. I woke up again around 2:00a and got something to drink at the vending machines in the lobby. I spoke with Angie, the night auditor who told me in two weeks they were rebranding as a Motel 6. Truckers beware! You're about to lose everything you stay at Super 8 for! I can't find any mention of it on the Motel 6 site or by talking to corporate.

Quick note, the keys are not slide cards like everyone else uses. They have the old diamond-shaped key holder and a small prong that you put into the door. It turns green and you open it. Nowhere on the key is the room number mentioned! Very, very easy to lose keys (fortunately I didn't)!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
ann arbor, michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

We stopped at this hotel while travelling from Michigan to NYC on 80. It got late and we wanted a room just to sleep and head out in the morning. We were disappointed, since we expect better level of accomodation from Comfort Inns. It looked like an old, shabby travel motel that they tried to convert. The rooms were very small, but furniture has been updated. It wouldn't have been so bad, but they charged us $102, and that was with AAA discount. A very poor value, in my opinion. there was an ok breakfast bar in the morning. I wouldn't recommend this for anything other than a place to sleep while travelling on 80.

• Liked — location off expressway
  • Disliked — old and shabby
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Medford, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

Made an on-line reservation (with guarantee for late arrival) and confirmed it by phone the day before for 1 non-smoking room for 4 people. When we arrived we were told no rooms were available. After significant protests they indicated 2 smoking with one bed each rooms were available on two different floors. The rooms had not been cleaned so we needed to wait (this is 10 pm). The rooms were dirty and obviously very smelly.

Upon check out I realized they were charging me for two rooms. I protested that I had a confirmed reservation for 1 room for 4 people and should not be charged for the 2nd room. I further concluded that since neither room had been cleaned (at 10 pm) they really had no intention of renting them that night. The manager refused to budge and we paid for 2 rooms. They evidently saw us as desperate travelers to be taken advantage of. Since they obviously did not intend to rent those rooms that night they could have given us them for free and still been heros.

After several weeks of back and forth with national Super 8 folks (during which time the local managers of the motel refused to respond) they refunded me the cost of one of the rooms.

This was clearly a case of the inn-keeper taking advange of the traveler, who had a problem which was caused by the motel.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cambridge, Ontairo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2006

My sister, mom and I went down to Grove City to do Christmas shopping at the Outlet Mall. It turns out so did almost everyone else the same weekend. When our first reservations fell through at a small independent hotel... we needed a place to stay. We were directed out to Harrisville (about 15 min. away) by another hotel and were lucky enough to find they still had a rooms available. When we asked to book a room for the next night, we were told they didn't have any rooms left, but spent the time with us to help us look up telephone numbers to other hotels in the area. While at the desk someone came in and said they didn't need their second night so we asked to take the room. We were warned it was only 1 king bed and a smoking room but we took it any ways. The next morning, the same lady was still on and offered to keep our bags locked up for us while we went shopping and get us a cot for the new room. When we returned that night from shopping, dreading all day the smoking room, we found out that she had moved us to a non smoking room with a king bed when someone else cancelled! This employee went above and beyond helping us all the while coping with a very ill husband in the hospital. The staff were all very friendly, the rooms were clean and taken care of, and the continental breakfast was good. I would definitley go back to this hotel the next time I visit the area.

• Liked — Close to major shopping destination
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed November 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Motel 6 Barkeyville? Share your experiences!