“Won't be staying here again” 1 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Harrisburg Hershey
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   950 Eisenhower Blvd., Harrisburg, PA 17111   |
Ranked #24 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Charleroi, Pennsylvania
“Won't be staying here again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is the first Red Roof I have stayed in that I have decided I will not return to again. I booked two rooms for a two night stay. On arrival after the designated checkin time the rooms still were not ready. I was asked to return in approx 45 minutes. When I returned the second time it still was another 15 minutes till it was ready. While the room appeared to have some recent updates such as carpet and flat screen tv overal it was not very clean and did not have a clean fresh smell. I suspect there had been a dog in the room the previous night as I noticed a couple fleas in the room. It is very apparant that this motel has an issue with the housekeeping staff. When I returned to the room late in the day the rooms were only partially cleaned. One room the bed had not been made, only a partial set of towels left and no refresh of the soap and shampoo. Second room the bed had been made but no fresh towels were left, the used ones were lying of the floor of the bathroom. No shampoo left. Front desk was called and brought a set of towels and supplies for one of the rooms but never returned with anything for the second room even after a second call was made. There was also alot of noise issues, There was a group of guys drinking beer and talking very loudly well after midnight. Front desk did nothing about it when reported.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Rochester, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Old style motel that has been updated in the last few years. Right next to a La Quinta, McDonalds, Captitol Diner, also a steak place, bar, bowling alley and pizza across the street.

Pros - price, pets stay for free (website says limit of 1 > 70 lb. animal but I saw multiple rooms with 2 or more animals) and there was penty of grass to walk our Jack Russell, Capitol Diner was good ($40=2 dinners, 2 drinks, 2 desserts) location was few miles from Airport and close to expressways.

Cons - pets stay free, even though I usually travel with my dog I was surprised to see so many pets, all well behaved animals and responsible pet owners but this may not be ideal for some folks, while the motel seems to be well maintained it seems this is a busy hotel and the expected wear and tear is evident.

Lastly, the website and name of this Red Roof indicate it is near Hershey. Depends on your definition of near but if you want to be in Hershey there are many closer options as this location is about 10 miles from Hershey Park.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Well , it was kinda small the apartment and no pool but other than that it was very clean , close to restaurants like , McDonald's , Diner Ect. The cleaning service was really good. Hot water . WiFi. Plasma TV's. I guess a lot of people write bad about this hotel because they expect more. i would really recommend this hotel to all people. Low price's and very comfortable. Not as close to Hershey park tho.

Room Tip: Choose room 117 , not to far or to close.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

entering to the room i was surprised how small the room and the bath room was,one of the smallest i have ever seen.on the other hand , the room was very very clean and very compact. it seems as it was planned for 1 person travveling for 1 night.when leaving the receptinist told me i could add 10$ and get a bigger room.any how it was more then ok for the money i paid.

Room Tip: add the 10$ and get a bigger room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I stayed here for three nights while visiting my son who lives nearby. It was nice to get a room on the ground level where I could park my car right outside the door. I had a king bed. The price is what sold me on this hotel this time, as I was on a very tight budget, but I would probably not stay here again.

First the positives. The check-in procedure was quick and the lady at the desk was very friendly (as was the man when I checked out). The location is convenient to many highways and right next door to both a McDonald's and Capitol Diner (which is great for breakfast!). There is a coffee pot in the room and also coffee is offered in the office each morning but there is no fresh milk so I went to the local places. There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room along with a nice flat screen tv and free wifi.

I noticed that they are working on some of the rooms and hopefully that is a nice makeover that they give the room I was in because the dark blue carpet was so nasty I wore socks any time I could. It was gummy and greasy and just the thought of bare feet touching it made me gag. I am guessing that is why the room smelled awful. I tried spraying it with perfume but that was a temporary fix at best. Also, there are chips coming off the bathtub and there was a pretty decent fuzzy patch of mold on the ceiling of the bathroom.

The air conditioner was set to 68 but it felt like the arctic. It was also really loud but I was pleasantly surprised that the room was quite insulated from sound other than the awful air system. When I turned the thermostat up a couple of degrees that helped the temp be more comfortable but the odor in the room was magnified in a very disagreeable way.

You get what you pay for so I guess that I should not be surprised at thin towels and really poor quality bed linens. I would just like to be surprised sometime in a good way.

Loved the fact that there was lots of hot water and the housekeeping staff did a good job with what they had. The bathroom was very clean and everything set up nicely.

I stay in Harrisburg at least twice a year and this was my first time going this low budget-wise. Guess it will be my last for a while. I did not sleep well at all due to smell, air system and shabby bed so hope to save up better for my next visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I had booked this Red Roof Inn hotel for a Hershey Park family trip. We had 4 different families and everyone stayed at different hotels. Another was at Red Roof Inn on Corporate; another was at the Marriott, another was at the Hershey Lodge. Staying at the Red Roof Inn where we were, it was cheaper than the Marriott and Hershey Lodge but in hindsight, the free shuttle to Hershey Park from the Lodge would've made better sense. Our room was 2 full beds and we registered as 2 adults and 2 kids. I called for more bath towels. They came up quickly. Nice! There was no refrigerator in the room and no real table or desk. Just another sofa-type of chair. It would've been nice, and there was space for, a round table just to put stuff on. Beds were more comfy than I thought, plenty of parking spaces right where our room was. The front desk woman was very helpful and courteous. The bathrooms were clean. It's not a bad stay but for a trip to Hershey Park, I would pick somewhere with shuttle service to the park next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Pine Grove, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

The room was clean and a great price. The staff was very nice and accommodating, and one of their assets is the front desk clerk named Donna Rhinehart-she couldn't have been more helpful and nice. Will continue to use this hotel and highly recommend to anyone that wants a great stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Red Roof Inn Harrisburg Hershey? Share your experiences!