“Little worn, little outdated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Harrisburg

Save Saved
You added Hilton Harrisburg to your Saves list
Hilton Harrisburg
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One North Second Street, GPS Friendly - 200 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101-1601   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
HersheyPark Package
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Little worn, little outdated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Here for a meeting. Bed was very uncomfortable. Hardly could sleep. Elevators are a joke. When hotel is crowded for meetings the waits are extremely long. Overall feels old and in need of a good refurbish. Wifi was great and free.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Concord, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We chose this hotel because of it central location and also by the fact that it housed an AAA 4 star restaurant (a rare rating), the Golden Sheaf. We were not disappointed. We arrived a few minutes before closing time, but were accommodated most graciously. The staff and food were superb.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Gaithersburg, md, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I am handicapped and the staff helped me a lot. The hotel was wonderful in accommodating my every need. The staff was friendly and courteous. The Hotel is nicely situated near the river and in the heart of Harrisburg

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Any complaints I have about this property have to do with the time I chose to stay here, vs. the hotel, per se. My favorite hotels are Hiltons in downtown locations, so this hotel has that. The room I had (King Suite) was clean and well-maintained and been recently renovated. The HVAC worked well and has a "high" fan setting to help drown out the noise from the hall (read on).

I asked the staff for a couple of favors, and both were accommodated quickly and, even though I like to tip, was told it wasn't necessary. (But I insisted as I like to reward and encourage exceptional service).

The restaurant is undergoing a renovation but there is an alternative available on-site was well as a cozy bar. And lots of nice places to eat within walking distance of the hotel.

So what could be better?

I wanted to use valet parking when I arrived but, as a result of the American Legion convention at this hotel, the valet was jammed with personal vehicles. I have the impression that part of the agreement with The American Legion is that they allow certain personal vehicles to be parked on the sidewalk and in the valet area. Since there was extensive street construction around the hotel, I ended up circling for about 15 minutes before I found how to enter the garage. It was frustrating.

Valet would have been so much easier for this frequent traveler and I would discourage the parking of personal cars, trucks and motorcycles in the front of the hotel.

I also come from a state with strict smoking laws (no smoking within 8 feet of a entrance) so find the general level of sidewalk smoke in Harrisburg frustrating. Exiting the hotel required running a gauntlet of smokers, again attributable to the convention, I'm sure.

My room, on the 14th floor, was near something the American Legion calls "Hospitality Suites" which, essentially, are guests' rooms with free alcohol. Consequently, there was a great deal of hall noise that I found disturbing. This also caused, at times, elevator waits of 10 minutes, which was frustrating. These rooms are advertised with handbills taped in the elevators and, again, detracted from the classiness of this great old hotel.

All in all a good hotel but I was glad that I didn't have my family with me. As the alcohol flowed, the language grew a bit coarser and I was embarrassed for a mom with three small children in the elevator on Thursday evening who was subject to one guest's cursing as she tried to find her room key to determine on which floor she was staying.

I think this would be a great hotel at which to stay were it not for the convention, which seemed to create an atmosphere that detracted from what an hold, historic Hilton should be.

The Executive Lounge was well-attended by cordial, attentive hotel staff and well-stocked with snacks, coffee and soda. The lounge did not require a key, which I found surprising, (and which I prefer).

A very fine hotel at which I hope to stay again...but not while there is a convention at the hotel.

Room Tip: I always ask for a high floor...but that wasn't a guarantee of a low noise level this trip given...
North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My family stayed at the Hilton Harrisburg in early July 2014. We had a king room. The room was small and had dated decor. Both the main room and bathroom were clean, but the older decor gave it a motel sort of feel. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well. They did provide a roll away bed for my young son and he slept well also. Note that it is an additional $20 for a roll away bed and I would suggest that you let them know that you would like one at the time of reservation because otherwise, they may not have one available. The hotel itself is dated also, and the pool that we visited was small, but again clean and sufficient for a short stay. They also have exercise equipment as well. They do have a restaurant in the hotel where you can have lunch or dinner. It was a little pricey as expected, but the food was decent. Overall, an average stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed in Room 1129 (nice view) from 7/3 - 7/11. The convenience to downtown Harrisburg, City Island, and West Shore locales can't be beat. However, we were underwhelmed by the room cleaning. Given our long stay, the spotty cleaning made a negative difference to an otherwise pleasant hotel stay.

Likes: Location. If you enjoy walking, it's just a block to Front Street and the river, the City Island footbridge, and lots of local dining on 2nd and 3rd Streets. We also were able to watch July 3rd City Island fireworks from our room.

Yikes! Cleaning (intermittent nature). The room was not cleaned on 7/4, so we had to ask the Front Desk staff for clean towels. The representative did seem surprised the room hadn't been cleaned. The room was cleaned thereafter, but toiletries weren't replaced (ever). On 7/8, we explained the toiletry situation and asked the Front Desk staff for a replacement shampoo and soap. We were given a bag of toiletries (see photo) and the staff reaction was friendly but more like "this should keep you satisfied" as opposed to "we'll make sure your room is cleaned and stocked." On 7/10, we got a real surprise: the two disposable coffee cups looked like they had been replaced (we used the in-room coffee maker each day to make tea). They hadn't been. Housekeeping had simply stacked the used cups and put them back as if they had been replaced. The nasty shock was that housekeeping hadn't even emptied the cups, so residue was still in the bottom cup, making the one inserted soggy. Vacuuming was generally okay - varied from day-to-day, and the sink counter-top wasn't completely cleaned each day. (We keep our toothbrushes in a cup . The cup wasn't picked up and cleaned around. Hair and some dust accumulated two days in a row. I cleaned it - no big deal - but it was clear housekeeping wasn't cleaning the entire sink counter-top.)

In general, our stay was fine. Since it was a longer stay, the housekeeping issues became a proportionally a bigger deal for us.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd Street side, floors 11 on up, should have views of the river. Room 1129 has a view...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Phillip N, Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Good Morning,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. We truly value your input and very much rely on you, our guest, to help us improve our hotel operation. I would like to truly apologize for the issues you had during your stay. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case, we failed to meet that criteria. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. Our Executive Housekeeper will be reaching out to you regarding your visit.
Phillip Neiswender
Rooms Division Manager
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The hotel was quiet, clean and modern. The front desk employee was extremely rude. The beds wee every comfortable but the comforter was too small for the bed so it was uncomfortable. The parking was reasonably priced but difficult to get in and out of.

Stayed July 2014

Been to Hilton Harrisburg? Share your experiences!