“Change is Not Always a Good Thing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Harrisburg

Save Saved
You added Hilton Harrisburg to your Saves list
Hilton Harrisburg
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One North Second Street, GPS Friendly - 200 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101-1601   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
HersheyPark Package
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
“Change is Not Always a Good Thing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have been a Executive level guest at the Harrisburg Hilton at least 4-5 times a year for the past three years, and have always been pleased. The staff members who I recognize from my many visits are wonderful. But the best I will rate the hotel now is Average.

But apparently there has been a management company change during 2013, and I presume their mandate was to cut costs. Unfortunately they whittled the amenities in the Executive Lounge to bare bones. No more local papers. The lounge is now closed for most of the day. The food is high fat, or high sugar or both.

But the biggest travesty was the ending of the jazz in the bar. Friday was mobbed since Steve Rudolph still performs on First Fridays. Saturday night, there were 5 customers in there - sitting at the bar reading their tablets. No one was ordering food. We got out of there as quickly as possible. No reason to stay. Don't tell me they saved money with this idea.

So with no business class treatment, and absolutely nothing happening on a Saturday night, you might as well stay at the Hampton - at least there you get coffee 24/7 and an apple.

Room Tip: Stay as far away from the elevators as possible unless you want to hear them all night long. Also a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Phillip N, Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
I’m sorry to hear you did not enjoy your recent stay with us.

Each day we strive to please all our guests and specifically offer those on the Executive Level upgraded accommodations and club amenities. Included among these is complimentary breakfast daily to include healthy options for breakfast such as granola bars, fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, whole wheat toast, etc. In the evening we offer complimentary hors d’ oeuvres which include two hot selections as well has raw vegetables with dip and assorted cheese & crackers. Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and snacks are available between meals.

Our local paper, The Patriot News, only prints three issues per week. We supply these papers when available along with the USA Today and Wall Street Journal and a variety of business and leisure magazines to all guests of our executive floor. Complimentary high speed internet is also available for those who wish to access news via the internet.

We have consolidated Jazz into 2 evenings per month as well as every Sunday during brunch. The crowd on this particular Friday evening has shown this was a successful strategy as it brings many enthusiasts to the same evenings instead of spreading them throughout the month. This offering along with the abundance of entertainment options in downtown Harrisburg ranging from live theatre, live bands, comedy, coral groups, symphonies, night clubs and many others, means Harrisburg always has something to enjoy.

If you have an occasion to visit Harrisburg in the future, I hope you will choose to stay with us again. We have begun a multimillion dollar renovation that began this month in the guest bathrooms, will progress later this year to our guest bedrooms and will continue to the hotel lobby and restaurant in the coming months.

Thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Rome, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Hotel had a beautiful lobby and nice looking rooms. However, step into a cold shower that never heated up. Front desk sent a maintenance man up, he told me that I needed to let the water run longer to get it hot. Apparently when the hotel is not full one needs to allow more time for the hot water to get from the basement to the 13th floor. If they had told me upon check in I would have known before sudsing up my hair. Also the sound on the television came going off. Did not bother to report that. I did make a wrong assumption that all Hilton's have a refrigerator and microwave. The room had a refrigerator but when I opened the door to the microwave found out it was a safe!!! Overall I probably will not be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Phillip N, Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Good morning! Thank you for your recent visit to our property and for taking the time to review your stay. I apologize for the chilly shower and the sound system on the TV. We begin renovations this weekend, so if you thought we had a beautiful lobby and guest rooms before you're going to really love the new look. I hope you'll visit us again on a future visit to the area. If there is anything we can do for you or if you want to share more about your time with us, please do not hesitate to call the hotel and ask for the Manager on Duty.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great staff, very nice hotel although some aspects are showing their age. Executive staff is tops and the rooms are comfortable. They have an upscale restaurant in the lobby that is a destination spot for many locals. Bar is good, attentive waiters. Great location.

It is the best hotel in downtown Harrisburg.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Phillip N, Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit to our hotel and for taking the time to review your visit! I've passed along the positive comments you made regarding our Executive Lounge team as well as the Bar staff.
We are beginning our renovations towards the end of this month! We are excited to show you the final product on your next visit to central Pennsylvania!!
Thanks!!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Our family started staying at the Harrisburg Hilton about 20 years ago. It was a sparkling new hotel with hopping service. Recently, every time we come, the hotel is more dilapidated and the service is less than ordinary. To get our car, we had to call at least 30 minutes before departure and then had to walk in the cold back and forth till the supercilious staff walked out with the keys to the car. The staff spoke loudly on walkie talkies repeating "10-4" which seems to entertain them, but their enthusiasm did not translate into good service. The bathroom was so tired and not well appointed -- felt like a 1975 Holiday Inn. I had to wipe out the tub because it had icky little stranger hairs in it. The Executive Level floor had non healthy foods in the lounge, so I couldn't find anything to eat but sugary sugary foods. The fruit was scary and not in season. Melon in January?
Some of the staff was friendly, but they were clearly hired because they live close, not because
they want a career in hospitality, but the bellhops and the gym staff were great. Anyone in a managerial position should take a lesson from the bellhops.
The hotel was not a bargain at all. When we ordered room service, we ordered a filet, but the hotel put a mandatory tip of 18% on the bill The vegetables arrived cold, but the filet was good.
The hotel food did not offer fresh fruits and vegetables. There was an abundance of water in the Executive Floor, which was convenient. All in all, it was an ongoing disappointment.

Room Tip: The Executive Level lounge served a breakfast that could be the poster breakfast for why Americans a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Phillip N, Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit to our property and for taking the time to review your experience. I apologize for failing to meet your expectations and would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further. If you have a moment, please contact the hotel and ask to speak to the Manager on Duty.
Have a great day
Mansfield, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Great people and great service, but the condition of the rooms and furnishing was disappointing. Sheets had holes worn in them. On my last visit the toilet did not flush so they gave me a key to the room next door as they have no maintenance guy overnight. The condition is disappointing given the price and the brand name. Just expect more from Hilton and room was 25% more than nearby high-end hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Phillip N, Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Good morning! Thank you for your recent visit to our hotel and for taking the time to review your visit. I apologize for the poor condition of your guest room, our housekeeping team has been informed so that we may improve our training and inspection process. Thank you for your positive comment about our great service and restaurants.
We look forward to serving you again soon!
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

From the point of trying to locate the Hilton Harrisburg to my departure on the second day, It was a terrible experience. There are two places in Harrisburg, PA with the address One Second Street; one being across from the post office, and the second being the Hilton Harrisburg. Upon arrival, I was not asked if I was an HHonors member. I had to remind the staff member; all she did was nod and type my number into the computer. I also said I cannot valet park, and must self park only. I said it to her twice, just to make sure. She acknowleged my request, gave me my "self Parking card", and I went on my way. After I checked out, I noticed that she had charged me for the Valet parking rate. My colleagues who did self parking, informed me that they had the self parking rate on their bill. The parking garage is not an easy place to get to. The garage is connected to the Hilton through a common walkway. Upon entering the Hilton, one must walk through the Ballroom area. Oh yes, one has to take two elevators to get to the car in the garage. The entrance for the garage is down a tiny alley. On my second night at the Hilton, an event was underway in the ballroom; there was the challenge of finding a parking spot in the garage. Driving up and down the levels of the garage twice, I finally found a spot on the 7th floor of the garage.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Hilton Harrisburg
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Good morning, I hope you had a wonderful weekend!
Thank you for your recent visit to the Hilton Harrisburg and for taking the time to review your stay both on TripAdvisor and via the Hilton Survey. I apologize for the poor experience while you were with us. Please expect to be contacted by a member of the Guest Assistance team regarding your Hilton Survey response. In the mean time, if there is anything that we can do for you please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly and ask for the Manager on Duty.
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night over the weekend. Front desk told us since the EL was closed so she didn't upgrade us to the Executive floor. We had two standard connecting rooms. The room was clean but showed a lot of age. The ceiling in the bathroom was about seven feet high. We had breakfast next morning in the café at the lobby level. The breakfast was free but we had to wait for about one hour for the food (were told there was only one person working in the kitchen).

Room Tip: Parking is $10 per day
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Phillip N, Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Happy New Year! Thank you for your recent visit to the Hilton Harrisburg and for taking the time to share your experience with us and with others. I apologize for the delay in your breakfast service, our kitchen staffing should not have effect on your dining experience. We begin our guest room renovations later this month, I hope you will stop in for a visit and see the result when we are finished!

Been to Hilton Harrisburg? Share your experiences!