“Overpriced, fraying, and going downhill” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Harrisburg

You added Hilton Harrisburg to your Saves list
Hilton Harrisburg
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One North Second Street, GPS Friendly - 200 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101-1601   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
HersheyPark Package
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
State College, Pennsylvania
“Overpriced, fraying, and going downhill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

In view of the cost for a night's stay ($220), I can't rate this declining property any higher than 2 or 2.5 stars. The bathroom in our room was not clean and the carpet was worn and rippled. If you are looking for a value proposition in the greater Harrisburg area, you will need to look elsewhere. Oh, and one of the three elevators in this high rise hotel was out of commission, making our rides to and from the 12th floor painful experiences.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonHarrisburg, General Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear im4nits, Thank you for your review of our hotel. We do apologize that the stay was not to your expectations as we strive to make every stay on our property a great experience. We understand how inconvenient the elevator can be when it is out of order and try to resolve the issue as soon as possible when it occurs. As for the property, we will be undergoing major changes in the upcoming months that I am sure will please you! We look forward to the launch of our renovations as each update has our guest satisfaction in mind.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

The hotel is in a great location but the hotel is beginning to age poorly. The rooms are large, carpet dark and electrical outlets buried behind furniture,
The bathroom is dated and I found used wash clothes, dried and full of hair hanging from the curtain rods.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Stayed here Oct 2011. Checked in via my little Hilton app, picked out my room but when I arrived around 3pm the room was not ready (ok considering check in is at 4pm). I got to my room which was small, there was a big hair ball in the middle of the floor (not a good first impression). I went back to the front desk and explained the situation, the gentleman who was the same guy who originally checked me in apologized. At this time the room type I requested was ready?? (ok could happen). I got to the new room which was about twice the size, the room was cleaner except for the bath room. There were hairs all over the walls, ceiling, back of bath door, in the tub/shower. I was only in town for 2 days so I dealt with it, didn't feel like finding a new hotel at last minute. The hotel is nice, they put a lot of money into the lobby and restaurant areas. The valet staff were terrific, fast and friendly. The hotel would be top notch if they put some more time and effort into cleaning the rooms. Being in this business I am probably more picky then the average person.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Easy walk to State House, State Museum, Science Center, CVS, City Island baseball stadium, Restaurant Row. Outdoor cafe with live music. Left the car in their lot for a day of sight seeing on foot.

Plenty of upscale pedestrian activity at nearby Restaurant Row fostered an air of safety even late at night, although that my have been because there was a baseball game the night I visited and the pedestrian bridge to the stadium is nearby.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Scranton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Hilton Harrisburg is a large, bustling downtown hotel. Despite its size, the staff was friendly and helpful. A maintenance issue in our bathroom (electrical outlet did not work) was fixed promptly. There are several restaurants on site, and our dinner at one of them, Raspberries, was very pleasant due to the welcoming hostess, efficient waitress, and the chef who prepared a special vegan entree for my daughter.

We were on the 13th floor ("Hilton Honors level") and had a nice river view (if you looked around the massive building across the street). Our room was fine, but the bathroom was smaller than expected, although the counter space was sufficient. The large, round knobs on the sink are difficult for someone with arthritis and need to be changed.

The hotel is located on "restaurant row" and within easy walking distance of the river and state capitol building.

However, there were a few things that irritated me, so I present the Hilton Harrisburg with the following awards:
HOTEL WITH THE MOST CONVOLUTED SELF-PARKING: This is too complicated to even explain.
MOST GEOGRAPHICALLY-CHALLENGED STAFF MEMBER: I do not have GPS in my car, so when checking out, I asked the young lady at the front desk what was the best street to take to get to I-81 North. She was stumped by my question!! Understand, I-81 is a straight shot about 5 miles north of the hotel. She had to wait for the other front desk person to finish with a customer and ask him! Unlike her, he was excellent and gave me a local street map and precise instructions.
EBENEZER SCROOGE AWARD: for price-gouging bottled water during a heat wave. When we checked into our room, there were three bottles of Dansani water sitting on the desk. A hang-tag on the bottles said, "STAY HYDRATED" with smaller print underneath. I exclaimed, "How thoughtful! It's about 90 degrees outside!" As we chug-a-lugged our water, I read the rest of the tag...which warned that if you weren't at the HHonors silver level or above, you would be charged $3.00 a bottle if they were opened.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I have stayed there many times on business. Always a welcoming staff, clean rooms and a comfortable sleep..Within walking distance of the government and business center as well as good restaurants including on property. It may be a bit on the older side but very well kept. Breakfast is not included. However, you will not go wrong staying there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dunmore, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

We come to Harrisburg every year for their annual brew fest-a great time that benefits Cystic Fibrosis. This hotel is only a block away from the festival and it's a really great hotel. The lobby is impressive and grand, the rooms are large enough and the bed/pillows were very comfortable! The bathroom was small, but functional. They do not provide complimentary breakfast, as many other hotel chains do, but they do have a number of restaurants on-site and very nearby. The price was typical for this level of hotel, in my experience. I'm looking forward to staying here next year when we come back for the brew fest!

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Hilton Harrisburg? Share your experiences!