“If you get it for less than $79, maybe” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #20 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
New York City, New York
“If you get it for less than $79, maybe”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Room was non-smoking, but must have originally been a smoking room, that was not repainted - could still smell lingering smoke. Found a different bug each day in 3 days, cricket, beetles, water bugs.... Hallway carpets are gross. The rooms are dark and dingy - I guess good if you are in a pinch - but would never stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear bokat,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret you were not satisfied with the conditions of the room you received. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Connie D
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Venice, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

It's a Holiday Inn! Reasonable standard of cleanliness and average service. Bed ok but pillows absolutely horrible. We (my family & I) all woke with headaches.
Fine for a night or two but if needing longer I'd like to hope the area has something better to offer.

Dear Lamxie,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving our property a review. I certainly apologize that this visit was disappointing due to the condition of the pillows that you were given. We take all feedback seriously and we will use your comments to improve on our efforts.

I certainly hope that the next time you visit the area, we get the chance to host you again.

Pam G
Kingsport, Tennessee, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that the night manager, Scottie, was extremely nice and apologetic. The guy at the front desk when we first got there, "Mr. Reese" acted as though he had no idea why we were upset. I couldn't believe how blunt and unconcerned he was.

In May, I booked this hotel for 3 nights for myself, my husband, and my daughter. I got a confirmation number that confirmed that I had a King bed with a sleeper sofa, nonsmoking room. When I went to check in at 11pm that night, Mr. Reese told me that all they had left was a smoking room. My daughter has asthma. I told him that I had a confirmation email showing a non smoking room. He told me that when you place the reservation online, you aren't guaranteed the room. Who ever heard of that??? I didn't use a travel agent or a 3rd party website. I went directly through Holiday Inn's website. I asked him "So when I reserve a room through your website, I'm not guaranteed to get that room?" All he could say was "I didn't take the reservation." He also said "That's all we have. We're full. We can't do anything else." No apology, no explanation...at least no explanation that made any sense. He acted as though we were a nuisance. I've never felt so unwelcomed in my life.
We got in the car and called every hotel within a 20 mile radius. Because of a concert in town, there was only one room to be had and it was a suite at the country inn right across the street. At 11:40m, we went back in. By then the night manager, Scottie had come in and I explained the situation. He apologized and he was so sincere. He offered to take 150$ off the overall price. We asked to check the room first. We went in and there was only one bed....no sleeper sofa like we had reserved....and the room was far too smoky for us to stay in. We came back out and explained to Scottie that the reservation had also included a sleeper sofa and we didn't get that either. He offered to get a cot for my daughter but there was no way she could tolerate the smoke. He looked up the reservation and asked if we were a PREFERRED member. We said no and he said "I bet that's what happened. These preferred members can basically get whatever they want."
So we made a reservation and let them authorize $150 off our card. We did this two months in advance. We get there close to midnight and the ONLY thing that matches our reservation is the bed size. EVERYTHING ELSE was wrong. To top that off, we were met with a guy at the desk who had no sympathy, didn't even try to fake that he cared, who gave us attitude. In the end, we took the suite at Country Inn. I don't think I'll ever book at another Holiday Inn express after this experience.
But, if your a PREFERRED member, then book here. It at least looked clean and they'll give you whatever you want.....even at the expense of their now former customers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Heather B,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and surpass the very high standards of service our guests expect.

However, I am disappointed to hear your troubles during your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations as well as give value to every guest. Our sincerest apologies for the poor experience and service issues you have encountered and for any negative impressions you may have had.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We truly apologize that you did not receive the level of service that we strive so hard to achieve. We value you as a guest and we hope this incident will not deter you from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Dhan M
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We chose this hotel since it was close to Hershey and had a lot of good reviews. The lady at the front desk was kind and we checked in quickly. Whenever we went to our room, we first noticed a hole in the lampshade between the beds and that a picture had been taken from the room (big holes left behind in the wall). We just thought it was a little older hotel, no big deal. Then, I pulled back the comforter. On one pillow there was a dead bug. On the other there was a lot of hair (from someone else)! It was quite obvious that these sheets had not been cleaned. I was completely grossed out. We called the neighboring hotels to see if they had a vacancy, but they were all full. After calling the front desk, they offered to move us to another room. I didn't want to stay, but it was late and we were unfamiliar with the area. We decided to move to another room, hoping it would be cleaner. After we got the keys to the new room, I went in to check the beds. Sure enough, more bugs! We went to the front desk to get a refund. The lady at the front desk asked if we wanted to see the manager and we said yes. When she came back, she said, "He said to go ahead and refund you." The manager never came out. I would be ashamed to show my face too if I ran that hotel. After a long wait for the refund to go through, we left. We had this room booked since April and were now stuck looking for a new place to stay in an unfamiliar city after dark. The folks at the Country Inn & Suites next door (they had no vacancies) helped us locate a Ramada a few miles away that had a room. It was completely bug-free and cheaper! I've stayed in many different hotels all across the country and have never had an experience as bad as this. I know now why this was the only hotel on the block that had any rooms left. So, unless you like to sleep with bugs and other people's hair, pick a different place to stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
hieharrisburggm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations. At the Holiday Inn Express it is our goal to make sure that all of our guests have a pleasant and happy stay. It is unfortunate that I was unable to speak with you that night, but I would like the opportunity to speak with you. I can be reached at 717-561-8100.

Tiffany Alvarado
General Manger
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Tiffany, Beth and Kinjal did a beautiful job getting a third party error (orbitz/kayak) straightened out so we wouldn't have to stay in a horrible smoking room. I am so thankful for their efforts. The room is generally clean and cool. Pool and training facilities are nice too.

• Stayed July 2013
Long Island City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We checked in on Sunday June 30 in the evening, we had a long car ride so we were ready to just get into our room, when we arrived inside the young girl at desk had a line, so we had to wait in line to get out room, we were in line for almost 10 minutes, (kind of ridiculous). Anyways we got checked in and went to the room, the room was very pleasant had a nice stay.However the next morning we came down to check out and the desk was unattended,so we left key there then saw the same lady from check inn in the breakfast area. was a great hotel just a tip for the staff, have more workers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
williamstown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Had a great stay at this hotel the room we had was next to the elevator didn't' hear a thing all night..great night sleep. the room was clean no smells or bugs..its only 25 minutes from Hershey Park..its worth the trip..

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East? Share your experiences!