“brad” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 50 hotels in Harrisburg
Bradford, Pennsylvania
“brad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I read other reviews, and had some concerns. Most of the reviews seemed negative. We had no choice as this was headquarters for the convention. We were pleasantly surprised with our room. Being a Priority Club we were upgraded to a larger room. There were other groups using the facility; wedding and Irish dance Competition. We were not disturbrd, even by the children. I can't comment on the restuarant, as we try to eat at local establisments. We had a lunch and banquet that was not worth what we paid for. But this was set up by the host of the convention.
Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

The staff here make me feel at home. I'm here once a month at least. Vanessa always finds room for me. Brandy will go out of her way to make sure your taken care of. Even getting me some dinner after a late arrival. You will always have my business when I'm in town. The staff is the best!! My best, Jeff Mitchell

• Stayed September 2012
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

When we first checked in we did not use the air conditioner. Later, when we did we noticed a musty odor but did not pay much attention. By the third day we noticed that whenever we spent much time in the room we were having respiratory problems - sneezing, stuffed up sinuses, etc. When we finally complained to the front desk, they sent someone up and changed the filter on the air conditioner. That helped, but did not cure the problem. No one seemed to know if there was a procedure for regular changing of the filters.

In addition, the breakfast room is woefully inadequate. We were there four nights. We were unable to have breakfast at the hotel on three of the mornings. The breakfast room was overflowing with people sitting in the rest area in the lobby and in an adjacent meeting room eating breakfast. Uncontrolled kids running everywhere, We took one look and went out to a diner. So much for the free breakfast.

We have stayed at Holiday Inn Express hotels many times. We have never before had such a bad experience. Will find somewhere else on our next visit to Harrisburg.

Room Tip: If you notice an odd odor when you first enter your room, report it immediately.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Dan M,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I am deeply sorry for the inconvenience caused you by the air conditioner and the breakfast. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Middletown, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I am a business traveler, and I mostly stay within the Hilton family or IHG family of hotels.I am Gold with both Hilton and IHG and I spent about 30-40 nights each year in a hotel room, so I definitely have my fair shares of hotel experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly.
Front Desk Experience: Staffs are very nice, can’t complaint here. Vanessa is always there, and she checks people in and out efficiently and friendly. They have a large basket of cookies at check in, make sure to grab one, they are very good!

Rooms: Ok, this is the tricky part. For the most part, the rooms are just OK. They are not better or worth than other Holiday Inn express, but definitely trail behind most Hilton’s property. Room size is on the average side, if you have a double bed room, there is not a lot of sitting room left, but a King room is a good bet. I have probably stayed here over 10 nights, in 10 different rooms. Some rooms are ok, but some room could really need some TLC. On a recent visit, the room had a list of problem, some of them included dirty/ripped carpet, missing cabinet knobs, remote did not back cover, and chair arm is extremely loose and needs to be tightened. And the biggest wonder, and I have never seen this at any other hotels, exposed wiring running from under the desk to the window AC unit, not tucked in, just on the carpet and it’s very loose, so someone could trip over it. This is a hazard, and should be addressed. The big problem I see is since this is a big hotel, and it’s a big place to maintain, but they really should spend a little more time in the rooms and checking the rooms on a consistent base and conduct quality assurance. They have nice amenities in the room, like mini-fridge and microwave, and good looking furniture, but the missing knobs on the nice furniture clearly shows that they lack attention to detail when checking the rooms, especially if the knobs are just right inside the drawers, and all they have to do is to put it back on! This hotel offers free Wifi in the rooms, the connection is rather good! The workout room needs an upgrade; most Hilton property has redone their exercise room with new Precor equipment. It has a treadmill, an elliptical and a bike.

Breakfast: Always good at Holiday Inn Express, they mostly serve the same things. The famous cinn rolls, an egg dish, a meat dish, biscuit and gravy, fruit, cereal/milk and couple other things.

Overall: Most time I visit this Holiday Inn Express, I have no problems, and it’s good. If I do run into issue, its room related. This hotel has great staff, average rooms and good breakfast. It’s a great value in the area, recommended, but if you have issues with your room, make sure to let the front desk know, so that they can correct it.

Room Tip: If you are not happy about your room, make sure to speak up so they know. If you don't say anyt...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Holbrook, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

What a treat to check-in go up to the room and find the air conditioner on and cooling the room. The check-in was great andfast. The rooms were clean and the pillows and bedding were soft, clean and cotton. In fact, the room was set for sleep and we slept well both nights that we were there. The breakfast offered was limited not only in choices but quantity. The coffee was a little to weak for my taste. The outdoor pool was CLEAN and inviting after a long hot day at Hershey Park. I feel that the Holiday Inn Express was a clean hotel that offered a peaceful night sleep for a decnt rate.

Room Tip: rooms on the 5th floor had king size beds and looked out of the front of the hotel.
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

After an 11 hour drive, we were tired and ready to rest. We easily found the hotel. Its a very convenient location. My first impression of the lobby was good, It was modern and bright. I found the person behind the desk business like and certainly not warm and friendly. There is only 1 elevator, making your wait long. Walking along the hallway I saw wear and tear and scuffs on the wall. The carpet needed a good vacuum. Beside the door of our room was a cot that remained there during our visit. The room smelled musty and smoky. There was no luggage rack in our room. I was too tired to call the front desk. I obtained a good price on Hotwire and I am thankful I did not pay the standard rate. The breakfast menu did not suit our tastes . The main meal of the day was hot biscuits, sausage and gravy, cinnamon rolls, and your assorted bagels and toast. We quickly returned to our room, grabbed our luggage and packed our vehicle and headed to Mcdonald's which was located next to the hotel. The next time we need to stay in Harrisburg I will be choosing another hotel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear cinders88,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. We are very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. We apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day.

We hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Western NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We booked this hotel with Priceline, and did not know what to expect. What we found was a great little hotel, with lots of amenities. Staff greeted us with a smile, and offered us chocolate chip cookies, nice touch! We found our room to be nicely decorated and exceptionally clean. After 5 hours of driving, a dip in the outdoor pool was wonderful !! Another nice feature of the hotel is free wifi in our room, and complimentary breakfast the next morning. All in all, we found this property to be excellent, and would consider Holiday Inn Express in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East? Share your experiences!