“Unimposing, but worth a visit” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 471 Restaurants in Harrisburg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Pennsylvania
“Unimposing, but worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

This small eatery in midtown Harrisburg doesn't look like much from the outside, but the food is excellent. The breads are wonderful and the various Italian offerings are, too. Eat-in or take out, this place is worth a visit.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Homemade Italian - delicious food, low price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Alvaro's is only open for dinner on Friday and Saturday nights. Reservations are a must, since seating is very limited. It is BYOB.

Alvaro's is basically a scratch Italian bakery, specializing in breads and cookies, and serving a limited menu of homemade Italian pasta. Tables are tightly spaced in the customer service area of the bakery.We had entrees of stuffed shells, 3 cheese lasagna, and cheese ravioli. All three were delicious, could not have been better. Sides included meatballs and eggplant parm, which also were very good. No vegetables are offered. The Italian bread provided on arrival was as good as any I've had. unfortunately, they ran out before we left, so we were not able to buy a loaf for take-home.

Nothing fancy atmosphere wise, just super Italian meals at very reasonable prices, Our dinner for 4, including desserts (homemade gelato), was $52.00.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“We love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We have been here a number of times and for many reasons. It could be to pick up cookies have some gelato or lunch. We have always found the food to be very good and reasonable priced. Cookies of Christmas is a must, it reminds me of a family friend from the Bronx that would make Christmas treats each year.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baltimore, Maryland
“Comparable to my husband's Italian Grandmother!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband and I stumbled across this place while driving around. I saw that there were some tables outside, and it looked very picturesque. So we decided to give it a try. Boy, am I glad we did! We sat outside and a menu was brought out to us. We had Italian bread and olive oil to munch on as we decided what we wanted. Everything is made in house and you can tell. Nothing tastes like it was frozen and reheated before serving. It's all fresh! Our waitress was very nice, and I believe she's the daughter of the owner/cook. Actually, the kids are the waiters, and their mother cooks in the back. It feels like you're in someone's family kitchen. We had the lasagna and ravioli and it was AMAZING. The red sauce is so good. I've been to Italy numerous times and had way too much pasta for one person. And the sauce is just like I had in Italy. It's different from American Italian tomato sauces, it is almost exactly how my husband's Italian Grandmother makes it. Amazing. We went recently with some friends, and they absolutely loved their food. We sat inside this time, and it was nice and cozy. We had the angel hair pasta tossed with seasonings and olive oil, SO GOOD. My husband ordered the gnocchi and it had their amazing red sauce with meat in it. All in all, we always have a great experience and the food is some of the BEST Italian food I have had in the US. Check it out, you won't be disappointed! Oh and did I mention they also sell GELATO?! And it's also really good.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Harrisburg, PA
“Neat neighborhood gem, food was average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Cool little neighborhood restaurant - actually pretty awesome. Small and cramped but I sort of think that was part of the charm. Matter of fact we sat down at a table with 2 strangers since it was the only avail seats - they didn't seem to care and we didn't, met two new friends and everyone in there seemed to be like that. I kept hearing how great the food is so I had the stuffed meatball - gross, I thought it was stuffed with cheese but it turns out there was a ham like thing in there too. Flavor was not that great and left a metallic flavor. Pasta was ok but bland. I sure wish we got desserts as they looked terrific. I definitely would go back as the atmosphere was so intriguing. I'd try something else, maybe the pizza which looked terrific. My dining friend also had the meatball and had worse things to say than aforementioned.

• Visited October 2013