“Solid Choice for BBQ” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Bar scene
Pleasant Gap, Pennsylvania
“Solid Choice for BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Sought out this place based on the reviews here and we were not disappointed. My wife and I like to try new restaurants when we travel, and we especially like BBQ, so this was a no-brainer to try.
-Service/Atmosphere- The building is pretty non descript and is a little out of the way, not far out of town, just off the beaten path, with plenty of parking. Inside is simple as well, very functional. Orders are taken at the counter and brought to your table by name, service was fairly quick, about five minutes for us to get our order. Overall very clean as well.
-Food- We ordered two sandwiches, the pulled pork and the brisket. Both were large portions, fair for the price. We also ordered the coleslaw, not a huge portion but well made, crisp cabbage and not soggy or drowned in sauce. Both of the sandwiches were solid, especially the brisket, which had a very pleasant smokey taste. I should say that the meat is not drenched in sauce, just a little for flavoring when served, they provide additional sauce if you want, and include both an original sweet tomato based sauce and a vinegar based carolina style sauce.
-Overall- The sandwiches are a good size, the meat is well prepared, the sauce was not one of the best I've had, but was solid (I did not care for the carolina sauce, mostly on personal preference). If you are in Harrisburg and don't mind a little navigating, I would recommend Official. We will be back.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We were in Harrisburg for a soccer tournament and found this hidden gem by doing some internet surfing. The burger was awesome, super juicy with melt in your mouth bacon. Portions were huge. We shared a pork bbq sandwich, burger and large fries between me, my husband & two growing boys. Friendly staff and clean casual atmosphere. We will definitely stop by next time we are in the area.

Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
“Great Bcue in Harrisburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Recently the Harrisburg area has had the opening of a number of very god barbecue restaurants. Having lived in Texas for a long period of time - I usually rate these bcue joints on the quality of their beef barbecue. Official barbecue has the best beef barbecue I have tasted in a long time. The side dishes of home made beans, slaw and fries are first rate. The others at my table raved about the pork barbecue too. If you are in our area, you need to try this place. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Camp Hill
“A restaurant is not a place for a TV”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I have trying to eat at this restaurant for several months. But it is in the middle of nowhere several miles from my home. One would just not pass it but the reviews were good and I like BBQ. I was disappointed. The staff just works there! The ribs were not meaty for the price. The cornbread was good but that was an extra charge. There were lots of fries. I wonder about the authenticity of this place. There was official Carolina sauce-which Carolina?? So it was expensive for what you get, out of the way, and bothersome to have the TV playing. What ever happened to music?-The Carolina Chocolate Drops would have been perfect. Not every place should be a sports bar.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Just ok...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We had seen so many glowing reviews that we were sure this would be a great spot for dinner - sadly it was disappointing. They have three types of BBQ (that I saw on the menu) pulled sandwich, ribs and brisket. Since it was our first time we pondered the menu for a few minutes trying to decide. When we stepped up to order my husband asked for ribs - no ribs, then he asked for brisket - no brisket. Um ok, sandwich it is. The young lady never mentioned it when she watched us take a menu and read it. There were about 6 people in there, other than us, and two people came in for pick up on a Friday night. Seemed odd to be out of 2/3 of your BBQ. The fries were pretty brown (which I *LOVE* but my husband said they were over cooked - more for me!) and the grilled cheese seemed more like a cheese spread that did not melt between the bread - it tasted good, but as it glopped onto my plate made me cringe a little. They have an excellent array of drinks - tried some Maine sodas that were awesome! It felt like college friends starting a restaurant - working on it, just not there yet. Maybe next time we are there we will give it second shot.

• Visited May 2014