“Very good,, but NOT a top Hbg restaurant” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Good for: Bar scene
Hershey, PA
“Very good,, but NOT a top Hbg restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Take it from a local that this place is not a top Hbg restaurant. It is a pretty decent BBQ joint for the Northeast, and since Hbg doesn't have a lot of great non-chain restaurants to begin with, it comes off as unique and with few competitors. But it doesn't come close to what you'll find in KC, Texas or Memphis, so be aware that it's all relative.

Positives include tasty meals with large helpings served by pleasant folks. The pulled pork sandwich is quite good. Plenty of parking and the suburban location means it's never that crowded. Negatives include inventory management issues (they seem to run out of the most popular dishes quite often), and atmosphere that would charitably described as non-descript. Too nice to be a hole in the wall but not nice enough to be quaint. Surrounding area has nothing to speak for it other than suburban developments and rolling hills.

If you're going to a high school football game at the new Bishop McDevitt High School, this place is less than a mile down Lyters Lane and a decent choice. But #2 in Hbg? Try Bricco, Mangia Qui, Char's at Tracy Mansion, or Cafe Fresco....all substantially better food and environment.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Miami, Florida
“It was just okay for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I visited Official BBQ because it was highly touted and ranked number 1. I was not as enthused as some have written. I found the menu to be limited, I did not like the baked beans, I guess I am just used to Southern BBQ. I was also a little put off when I asked for a to go cup and was given a food container cup.

• Visited October 2013
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Awesome Local BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

If you like BBQ, definitely give Official a try. They have a small menu, but it's a good one. As with any restaurant, the wait time depends on how busy they are. The inside is a little packed, but they also offer seating at outdoor picnic tables. I have eaten here twice, and ordered the pulled pork with coleslaw both times (It was so good the first time, I passed up trying something new)! They offer two sizes - a regular and a large. The regular was more than enough for me, and I ended up with leftovers both times. They have a selection of sauces - one being their house BBQ, another a Carolina style sauce. I preferred using my coleslaw, because it was that good! My sister tried the mashed potatoes, and my husband had the hot dog - everyone was very pleased with their meals!

• Visited September 2013
New Hampshire
“Certainly a must for BBQ lovers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Had two dinners her with a group of friends, we had baby backs, wings, burgers, brisket and several sides. Everything was great and set the bar for these items amongst our group. Owner was very informative about his passion and care he takes with the menu items.

Visited October 2013
“Very good, but limited menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We've been on a BBQ tour of Central PA recently, so decided to make a stop at Official Barbecue. The food was definitely fresh and well flavored - the menu is fairly limited though, consisting of primarily sandwiches. With that said, the prices are fairly high for that being their only offering. The sides were just okay - my daughter wasn't thrilled about her mac and cheese, and the beans were similar in flavor to most chilis.
Being from the Midwest and spoiled by Kansas City BBQ, I wasn't as crazy about Official as I was other Central PA BBQ restaurants.

• Visited September 2013