“will stay again!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 51 hotels in Harrisburg
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“will stay again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have nothing bad to say. This hotel is awesome! The room was very very clean. The bed was amazingly comfortable. The breakfast was only ok, but I think the problem was that I just wasn't hungry. I made a reservation for a plain room, but we still ended up with a huge room with a microwave and fridge. I'm not sure if maybe all rooms are that way, but we loved it. The front desk was very nice and allowed me to check in early (even after I probably drove her nuts by calling on the phone asking to check in early 2 times if there were rooms ready). She also (at my request) gave us a room facing away from the highway. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room facing away from the highway
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
DirectorofSales17110, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Harrisburg North, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your wonderful comments and look forward to having you come back again.

283 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Asheville, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This Hampton Inn & Suites opened in June 2012. It still smells new.

We had a king junior suite ($107 plus taxes), and I enjoyed the configuration and decor of this "maxi-room."

We didn't notice any problem with noise from the interstate.

Breakfast was about average. As a Hilton Diamond, I think it's about time for the Hampton Inn to upgrade its breakfast offerings.

The lobby and breakfast area were, well, bland and almost stark. An expanse of yellow tones.

A few minor things: no shower cap in rooms, toilet paper is cheap and scratchy and the budget towels are not exactly big and fluffy. But overall this is a nice new property at a good price. Hampton Inn is my favorite limited service chain, and this is a very good example.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
DirectorofSales17110, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Harrisburg North, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. Our location is perfect stopover for people traveling to and from your hometown area. It was a pleasure talking with you in the lobby that morning. Your comments are appreciated.
Cheltenham, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was a great place to stay for a quick business trip in the area; I would definitely stay here again. I requested and received a room on an upper floor on the side away from the highway, and it was very quiet with an extremely comfortable bed. I had a super-early business meeting and they had breakfast to-go bags available before the "regular" breakfast started which was nice, plus they accommodated me with a later checkout so I could come back and rest after my meeting. Room and public areas were all spotless, front desk was friendly and helpful. I had the breakfast buffet for brunch since I'd been up since the crack of dawn, and lots of options, pleasant seating area, free newspapers available. Thumbs up all around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway, unless traffic is "white noise" for you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
DirectorofSales17110, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Harrisburg North, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We strive to have a clean hotel with great service. The Staff and Management would welcome the opportunity to have you come back and stay with us again when in the area.
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

If you are looking for nice, new hotel, this is the place. We had a king studio suite on the fourth floor, not facing I-81 side. I used Hilton Honor points so I don't know what the rack rate would have been for the night. I would suggest not getting a room on the I-81 side, as the traffic noise is so loud when you are in parking lot, I would think it will carry over into your room. The room windows did have a semi-transparent shade and then heavy drapes to close ... maybe they would absorb the sound. Anyway this setup on the windows did allow us to open the drapes in the morning and still have a private feeling in our room. Kristina at the front desk checked us in quickly and efficiently. We had a large, clean and spacious room with wet bar, sofa, large bath area and separate sleeping area ... comfortable bed and a very quiet room. We arrived around 6:30pm on a Tuesday night and were tired from several days of touring historic sites in Virginia, Maryland and PA ... so we didn't feel like venturing out again to find a restaurant. Fortunately, delivery service was available in abundance and Kristina provided us with a list of food options and recommendations. I decided to check Tripadvisor ratings and we decided on ordering Mama Leone's pizza. It was delivered within 25 minutes to our room and under $15; it was hot and delicious. So we just hibernated for the evening. Breakfast was the usual Hampton offering; although it appeared that arriving after 9am left less offerings so I'm assuming many of the guests were keeping business hours and headed out early that morning. We only stayed one night as we were on the last leg of our drive home. There is a lot of construction going on in the area and there is also a Marriot hotel next to this hotel. The area is developing and expanding into a business park so the hotel may be a convenient location for business travelers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
DirectorofSales17110, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Harrisburg North, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for your comments. The Staff and Management are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Please visit us again when traveling through the area.
High Point, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

The thing that makes this hotel nice also is a detriment. It's located next to I-81 and is easy on and easy off. Since it's so close to the Interstate it could be noisy. Thankfully we learned years ago to turn the fan 'on' the air/heat all the time as a background noise.

The room we had was large and well appointed. Extremely nice. The employees were very helpful.

A little fine tuning is still required since the hotel is new. For example, I wanted sweetener for my cereal but it was located on the other end of the dining area with the coffee. I needed the exercise anyway.

Great place overall.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
DirectorofSales17110, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Harrisburg North, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your comments. We certainly appreciate feedback to assist with making everyone's stay enjoyable. We hope to have you stay with us again.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This hotel is new, spacious and beautiful!

One simple downside: 50 % of the rooms face I-81 and are very very noisy!!!!

Otherwise, this place was great. Rooms are well appointed and spacious. Breakfast was solid and staff was helpful.

If the fix the noise issue this goes from 3 to 5 stars easily

Room Tip: Ask to be on the side away from the highway. This way you are sure to get a good night's sleep!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
DirectorofSales17110, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Harrisburg North, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you for your comments. Yes, our hotel does sit right off of I-81 making it a convenient and easily accessible hotel. We truly appreciate your positive comments and would welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us again.
Tinton Falls, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Harrisburg North for one night while traveling home on Labor Day weekend. One of the reasons we chose this hotel because of its convenient location just off 81. In fact, you can see it from the highway. It wasn’t as obvious to find it from the highway (at one point it felt like we were headed into a residential area) but the hotel was still conveniently located it what appears to be an up and coming corporate plaza. The location itself is convenient for visiting Harrisburg and Hershey.

I called to let the hotel know we would be checking in quite late (1am) and it was not a problem. When we arrived I only needed to provide credit card for incidentals and was handed our room keys. It was the fastest check in I’ve ever experienced and thankfully so since we were exhausted.

Our room was located on the top (4th) floor facing the highway but we did not find the location or the highway to be particularly noisy or bothersome. Everything in the room was in perfect condition and appeared brand new. One of the nice things about the room was there was a thermostat to control the room temperature which was much nicer than having to adjust the air conditioning unit itself. The bed was comfortable as was the bedding (love that they use a duvet which is clean everyday instead of a bedspread) and there were plenty of pillows (I’m someone who sleeps with at least three and we still have plenty).

The bathroom was impeccably clean with plenty of towels, some basic toiletry items (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and bars of soap for face and body), and a hair dryer. The holder for the hair dryer also had a small like that acted as a night light. There were a few hooks to hangs things and plenty of counter space. The counter in the bathroom also had a small coffee pot (we don’t drink coffee so I didn’t pay attention to it beyond noticing it was there).

While getting ready in the morning we enjoyed that the flat screen tv had DirecTV so we had a wide variety of channels to choose from along with the onscreen guide which made it easier for us to find something for our son to watch while we got ready.

I inquired about a late check out but was told that while they weren’t able to accommodate late check outs that day, check out was at noon (which was an hour later than I had read in the in-room hotel guide).

Hot breakfast is offered in the lobby area from 6am to 10am. The hot breakfast included cheese omelets, turkey sausage, oatmeal and cook-your-own waffles. Other items included danishes, cut and whole fruit and containers of yogurt. There was a juice machine with orange, cranberry and apples juices. An employee from Hampton Inn was busily restocking and keeping the area clean through breakfast while another made sure the dining tables were cleaned between uses.

While our plans changed and we weren’t able to take advantage of the pool we did go check it out. The pool looked clean and in excellent condition. Around the pool were a number of comfortable looking cushioned chairs. The pool was located right off the lobby next to the fitness center.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would stay here again in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
DirectorofSales17110, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Harrisburg North, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful and detailed account of your stay. We truly appreciate the positive comments and certaily would welcome the opportunity to have you come back and stay with us again.

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Harrisburg North? Share your experiences!