“Not what we expected” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
“Not what we expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

To start our stay I was advised at check in that there was a $150 incidentals fee held to a credit card. The confirmation email from the company said nothing about this. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but after Christmas every dollar is budgeted. I said to the clerk that I had just pulled all the money needed for our stay from my debt card and there was no more money left. This was our wedding anniversary get away and my wife was on her way. The clerk did nothing to make it right, offered no solutions and just simply asked if I wanted to keep my reservation. So I sat in the lobby and waited for my wife with the credit card to be able to resolve this. While sitting there another employee asked the clerk why I was sitting and I overheard her saying that I was waiting for a jacuzzi room but didn't have the money. I felt like I was made to look like i was broke and my escort was on the way. Little did she know my wife has an ailment that is greatly soothed by the hot tub. Once my wife arrived and the check in completed we proceeded to the fourth floor. Exiting the elevator directly to the right is the housekeeping door. It had cobwebs on it. My wife and I just looked at each other. Getting in the room everything seemed fine. Other than having to set the time on all the clocks, clean the hairs and black particulates from the hot tub, and warm the room from the 62 degrees it was set to. Getting ready for bed I discovered that the bed sunk in the middle, was hard as a rock and the pillows flattened to almost nothing. I went down to the desk and asked for 2 extra pillows to try to keep our heads off the bed. The same clerk that checked us in advised that there is a bag in the closet that has a pillow and a blanket in it. I thanked her and reiterated that I needed 2 pillows. She said to check the bag and let her know by phone if we needed anything else. Of course, there was only one pillow. When i called down to the desk to once again ask for a pillow she advised she would see what she could do about "scrounging" up anothed one. I didnt mean to inconvience her by asking her to do her job.The only great thing about our stay was the breakfast and breakfast staff. I don't think we were overly picky about our stay but we won't be coming back.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Hebrew first
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed here after our visit to the craft show and was really looking forward to a nice stay because I book the romance package. Check-in was fine but I had to ask about the extras. Was told everything was already in the room. Thought it was strange because I needed to ask for my choice of wine. Got to the room to find they had a bottle there and it wasn't what I wanted. The room whirlpool had several hairs in it and the bed sunk in the middle. Our floor had several families with young screaming children(I know they have no control over this). When I asked the front desk about the bottle choice, they said I had to make choice at booking. This was not an option and they said I had to live with what they gave me. Well...so much for the romantic evening!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
solmarisol1, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites Harrisburg-Union Deposit, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The Country Inns & Suites and the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group will work diligently to ensure any claim is fully investigated. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention.

As per our website, it states that our ramance package includes the following per stay: 1 bottle of Champagne, and A 6 piece Chocolate dipped fruit pacakge from Edible Arrangements.
Huntingtown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This was our second or third stay at this location. I choose Country Inn and Suites, if it is available, whenever I travel. The rooms are reliably clean, comfortable, and offer great value for the price, especially if you join Carlson's travel club. For this trip, we were offered the opportunity to upgrade our double room to a jacuzzi room for a small fee. We took that offer and were very pleased with the accommodations. The room and bath were spacious and spotless. The mattress on the king-sized bed was very comfortable. The jacuzzi seats two people and is the perfect way to unwind after a busy day. This jacuzzi was easy to enter and exit, a fact that will please older guests. I also liked the grab bar next to the tub/shower in the bathroom.

The free breakfast at this chain is nothing special but they always offer a hot selection and make-your-own waffles. Coffee is available in your room or in the lobby 24/7. The lobby also offers freshly baked cookies, armchairs and books to borrow . The service overall is excellent and the housekeeping staff is efficient and thorough.

The indoor pool and hot tub are clean and generally very comfortable. We did not have the opportunity to use the pool this trip but have done so in the past.

The Country Inn & Suites at Union Deposit is located at the junction of I-83 N and Union Deposit Road, a very busy thoroughfare. Rooms on the interstate side of the building can be noisy when traffic is heavy. The path that leads from the side parking lot to the front entrance can be dangerous. It is composed of short landscape ties on gravel and can be difficult to navigate in high heels or when there is ice or snow on the ground.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side away from the interstate. Beside the two handicapped parking spaces in f...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed everything we have to offer here at the hotel. We look forward to your next stay.
Union Hall, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times in the past few years and each visit revealed that things were slowly getting worse but not any more. I'm happy to report that much has improved. The desk staff was pleasant and efficient upon my arrival. My room was very clean and the bed nice and comfortable. I had requested a room on the front side of the building so as to be away from the noise generated from the very nearby I-83 and they nicely accommodated my request. I chose to have breakfast out so I cannot comment on their offerings. The only thing that I found annoying was that I could not get the fan in the HVAC unit to shut off completely. It would constantly cycle on and off even though I had the unit turned off on the wall thermostat. I have experienced the same thing in other hotels as well and I don't understand why the system is set up like it is. Overall, though, I had a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the front side, much quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
solmarisol1, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites Harrisburg-Union Deposit, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Glad to hear that your recent stay was a much better one then your previous stays in making improvements to our hotelto make the experience welcoming and inviting for our guests. One of the improvementswe have made was adding an additional covering to go over our windows in the rooms facing the highway. This was implimented to decrease the amount of noise com off fron the interstate. Hope that the next time your travels bring you this way that you choose to stay with us again.
Salisbury, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I very rarely write reviews on anything. But I had such a great stay I had to brag about this place. The staff was friendly and efficient. The hotel was so clean and inviting. Our room was immaculate and smelled really good. Everything in it seemed new, and the bed was SO comfy with the softest sheets ever. I absolutely loved this place. It is so inviting. The cookies at the front desk were delicious, and so was the hot breakfast. They have a huge variety of food! I definitely recommend this hotel. I will continue to stay at Country Inn & Suites whenever possible.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
solmarisol1, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites Harrisburg-Union Deposit, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you very much for such a great and positive review of our hotel. Our hotel is fairly new, we have been open for four years. We look forward to the next time you come in our area and stay with us.
Bennington, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We checked in at the same time as an extended family did. I took one look at that family and asked the front desk clerk to move my room. She dug through her inventory and worked hard and got me a room on a different floor, different end of the hotel. Good thing! Those people sat in the hallway and partied until at least midnight, with children running wild and screaming. I went back to the desk clerk and thanked her profusely for moving my room.

Room itself was clean, spacious, climate control good, fridge and microwave both worked and the bed and pillows were comfortable. WiFi was hit and miss; mostly miss. I was later told that was an unusual situation. It could have been due to the fact that the hotel was pretty full and many people were signed on at the same time.

Breakfast was good with a large variety of offerings. Tables were kept clean and the offerings well stocked until the mob from the night before came down to breakfast - which is when we left.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
solmarisol1, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites Harrisburg-Union Deposit, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Glad to hear that one of our guest service agents was able to accomodate you.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

My first time at a Carlson hotel, not too shabby. Everything was clean and nice, no complaints at all. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast and internet included. Would stay again, good location as well.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive feedback on our location. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay while you were with us. The next time your travels brings you this way, you choose to stay with us again.

Been to Country Inn & Suites Harrisburg-Union Deposit? Share your experiences!