“What's worse noise or the smell of smoke in a non-smoking room??” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   990 Eisenhower Blvd, Harrisburg, PA 17111   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“What's worse noise or the smell of smoke in a non-smoking room??”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Let me start by sharing that we are Return members which is La Quinta's frequent stayer program. We joined 6 years ago because back at the time they were the only ones that allowed our dog to travel with us without breaking the bank. We've never really had any complaints with this chain overall, but it seems like our last few stays in the chain have been pretty disappointing. This particular La Quinta pretty much solidified that we won't be using this chain of the hotel. If you're thinking of staying here...read on before you make your reservations.

Our little family of 3 spent the day at Hershey Park. After a long day, we headed over to this hotel. It was about 15-20 minutes away from the park. Pretty convenient and right off the exit. We arrived around 10:30pm. We were given a room on the first floor. First appearance was nothing spectacular. In fact, the hotel appeared very dated. My 3 year old and I ventured to the room while my husband parked the car. When we entered the room, there was a moldy, musky smell and there were burn marks in the carpet. Since it was way past my child's bedtime, I quickly got my kid ready for bed. I noticed blond hair around the sink (we are all dark haired), but I just pulled out my own Clorox wipes and wiped down the counter. Once I got my tot into bed, my husband and I got ready for bed. As we were laying in bed recounting our day, we noticed a noise much like that of a fan. One minute it was noisy then it would get noisier. We tried to ignore it. We even turned the TV on. To no avail after an hour we couldn't get to sleep and the noise never stopped. We called the front desk to inquire about the noise. The girl on the other end stated she knew about the noise and that they get numerous complaints about it, but there was no explanation as to what the noise was. I requested to be moved. The clerk seemed reluctant as we had already laid in the beds. She moved us to another room still on the same floor, but behind the front desk. When we opened the door, we were greeted with the unpleasant smell of stale cigarette smoke. When I closed the door, I saw that we were indeed in a NON-smoking room. There were burn marks in the rug...Because it was late and our child was beyond tired, we just sucked it up and tried to sleep through the unpleasant smell.

Not only will we never be staying at this La Quinta, but we won't be staying at any other La Quinta in fear of having another bad experience. Stayers beware...If you're assigned a room on the first floor make sure it's on the side of the front desk...and make sure you truly are given a non-smoking room if that's what you reserved.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for...Stay away from the 1st floor near the Engineering room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The lobby was dirty as well as my shower .I wanted to turn around as soon as i walked in. I arrived so late I had no other choice. I will not go back to this one unless they clean it up. Its going to need whole remodel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

we took a weekend trip to harrisburg and needed a decent, affordable place to stay. we found that at this la quinta. great value for travelers on a budget. comfortable, clean and friendly staff. we were very happy that our two small dogs were welcome with no extra fee. the hotel is in a great location, close to restaurants and shops. my hubby is still raving about the comfortable bed and pillows. our stay was very good. if you require a comfy, no frills hotel, la quinta will be just fine for you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Parma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Check-in was fine. Half the limited selection of TV channels were unavailable. Deadbolt and hair dryer didn't work. No hot water for showering the first morning.

Breakfast was ordinary but the attendant really hustled. On departure the Night Clerk gave bad directions to the airport from an airport hotel.

Gave feedback on LQ Rewards and got a robo email. Don't ecpect it will improve if the chain doesn't care.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Don't even consider this dump! The entire place smelled of smoke. Filled with homeless individuals and pets,smelled of pet urine and all rooms reeked of smoke.Lobby full of people in their pajamas. Must be where the city houses their street people. Horrible!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Airport Hershey? Share your experiences!