“Going the extra mile” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 51 hotels in Harrisburg
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Going the extra mile”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My review of this hotel is very good but one experience was truly an example the staff going the extra mile. I had left my headlights on the night before and killed the batteryon my car. When we the explained the situation to the the very helpful front desk women she got the facility person ,Hector, to help. He got the Staybridge van and jumper cables and tried to jump start our Suburban for 20 minutes, but it would not hold a charge. So he drove me to an auto parts store to get me a battery and back to the hotel. When we realized I diddn't have tools in my car, he got his out of his truck. and we changed the battery. We were done and on our way to Hersey Pa. "The Sweetest Town in the World"

Thanks Hector

Room Tip: Two room suites are worth the extra money
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

247 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Wilmington, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Our family stayed for 3 nights on a trip to the car show in Carlisle and Hershey Park.Our rooms were spotless and beds were very comfy. Luckily the soundproofing was good as the hotel was packed. The high school girls softball teams that were there pretty much overtook the hotel at all hours making it very loud in the lobby and hallways. We didn`t have any clean towels 2 nights but they were sent up quickly after a phone call to the fron desk.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Wappingers Falls, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed here from 7/2 through 7/9. The stay bridge completely exceeded my expectations. I was expecting run of the mill hotel with a motel feel but No. This place was terrific. Everything was clean, fresh and good. The Staff was the jewel in the crown. People like Mercedes, Danivera and Nicolle were a pleasure to meet. There were not many things to ask for since the place prepared well for us..But when we did, they were overly courteous, quick and thourough. Shower and bathroom were spotless and very nice to use. Kitchenette was clean and the utensils were totally cleaned. The beds were a bit soft and mushy for my taste, but I realize this is not always possible to get firm mattresses to my liking. Breakfast area and the coffee were the best I've seen in this type of deal. Easy access to Hershey park and the attractions despite Harrisburg's somewhat maniacal roadway system and layout. Overall I will come back here. This Hotel was top notch.

Room Tip: Book in advance and tell them that you want a suite ...and if you have more than 4 guests tellthem t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Harrisburg, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of your stay with us! Hearing that we exceeded your expectations is like music to our ears! This is what we strive for....and we are so happy that we accomplished this with your stay! We will certainly pass along your compliments to the staff members that you mentioned in your review. Our "We Love Guests" service philosophy is based on the concept of treating guests as if they were a guest in our own home. These three staff members are a great example of this philosophy in action!

Thanks so much for your compliments about breakfast. We put alot of emphasis on making sure this is a great experience for our guests (both the food selection and the service). We believe in getting our guest's day off to a Fabulous start...and a great breakfast is the key!

Your comments regarding our location are appreciated. Like any large city, the roadways can be a bit challenging to navigate at first. We are fortunate to have a great location that makes it easy for our guests to get to/from the most popular Harrisburg and Hershey attractions with ease.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your detailed comments (and compliments) about your stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon!
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Clean rooms, friendly staff, great free breakfast, our group had a fantastic stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed here and it was a great experience. Room was nice and clean, staff was friendly, and breakfast was decent. I have recommended this place to family and friends visiting the harrisburg area!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Staybridge Suites. We are so happy to hear that you had a "great experience"! We love hearing that you found the room to be clean and staff friendly - these are two of our top priorities. It sounds like you were satisfied with the breakfast....but we would love for you to be "wowed" by the breakfast experience. We would appreciate additional feedback from you on how we could continue to improve in this area. Please feel free to contact us directly with your suggestions

Thank you again for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor and for recommending us to your friends and family visiting the area. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Simply stated, I hate traveling. I am a homebody, through and through. So when my job required a two week stay away from home, I was not looking forward to it at all.
My stay actuall began at the Amtrak station, where the complimentray shuttle service picked me up. Hector, the driver, was interested in my reason for visiting without being overly inquisitive. He made me feel quite at home before I even arrived. But what would my lodgings be like?
Imagine my relief when I first saw my suite. Beautifully appointed with a queen sized bed, pull out sofa and more than adequate kitchenette. At least I would be physically comfortable.
The complimentary breakfast buffet was far more than expected, with eggs, french toast or pancakes, the standard make-your-own waffle iron and always two or three breakfast meats. I would not starve.
Can't comment on the housekeeping, as I requested no service throughout my stay.
The staff, in general, were all gracious and very helpful. Of special note, Brianne, Nicole, Hector (of course) all were helpful and welcoming. My only issue revolved around a woman at the counter who assured me I would have shuttle service at the end of my stay to catch my train. I gave her plenty of notice. But, as the time arrived, I learned she had never told Hector, my trusty driver, and he had gone on an errand. Missed my train by minutes.
Angry? Sure was! But in the grand scheme, that was a blip on the radar. Staybridge offers value you for your travel dollar in pleasant, comfortable suites.
(I rated location as poor because there was nothing around the hotel save the Farm Show and train yard. Rather desolate.)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Harrisburg, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. You are right …travelling can be tough! That is why we do our very best to make our hotel as close to a “Home Away from Home” as possible. From the furnishings and amenities in the hotel to our staff….your comfort away from home is our top priority. We are so pleased to hear that Hector did such a great job providing the initial “welcome” to the hotel and the area. We are thrilled to hear that you were so happy with your suite and the complimentary breakfast buffet. We will happily pass along your compliments to Brianne, Nicole and Hector for the helpful and welcoming service that they provided to you during your stay.

We are so very sorry for the communication lapse regarding your trip back to the train station. We simply cannot apologize enough for this error and the inconvenience that it caused you. In regards to your comments about our location, we are located right next to the Farm Show complex – which is a fabulous benefit for our guests coming to attend shows/meetings at the Farm Show. We are also located just ½ mile from Harrisburg Area Community College and the Wildwood Conference Center. While we do not have a large amount of shopping/dining options within walking distance of the hotel, we are located just 2 ½ miles from Strawberry Square (which offers shopping, dining and entertainment) and the Harrisburg State Capitol Complex. There are also two separate malls with shopping/dining within 5 miles of the hotel. For our family travelers: Hersheypark is just a 20 minute drive from the hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay. We are so happy that we were able to help a “homebody” survive being away from home for two weeks. It was our pleasure to provide a pleasant and comfortable place for you to stay while traveling for work. We look forward to you staying with us again the next time you are in the area.
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stayed here because of the good reviews. Wow, I should have taken the negative reviews more seriously because the customer service is not existent!
I reserved a 1 BR suite with my kids because I am a light sleeper. I checked in, went to my room and there was only 1 bed for 4 people! I went back to the desk and there was a different rep. I told her it was not the room I reserved (which I paid extra for). She said, "oh that's because we are out of them." I twisted up my face in disbelief. I guess they thought they could just give me any ol' room without explanation and I would be okay with it. And it was a manager that initially checked me in. That is so wrong!
Another lady at the desk offered me an upgrade when I told her we couldn't stay in that room.
Okay, great, now I had a 2 BR suite. Perfect. Or so I thought.
About an hour later another family walked into our room. They thought it was vacant. They went to the desk and explained there was another family in there.
Fast forward to 12:15 am. A very large man walked into my room with a key. I woke up to a strange man in my room. He said, "oh sorry, wrong room."
I called the desk and they said, "oh that was because we didn't change your old room in the computer and we thought it was vacant. He proceeded to changed it in the computer. No apology. It shouldn't have happened twice, and I am a woman alone with her kids and shouldn't have to deal with strange men walking into my room in the middle of the night.
So the next morning I went to breakfast and when I returned to my room the key wouldn't work. I left my kids at the door and went to the desk. They gave me a new key. Went back up to the room and again, it didn't work. Waited in line again and explained the key still didn't work. She called maintenance and asked them to escort me to MY OLD ROOM NUMBER! OMG they still didn't get it straight after they let 2 other people in my room and supposedly fixed it in the computer. They had 3 opportunities to fix it and didn't! Apparently other people can get in my room but I can't.! As a result, my son was late for his workshop.
In addition to that, the night before I went out get groceries and fast food. I returned to my room and the key didn't work. I went downstairs to get a new key while my kids waited upstairs with all of the groceries and food. I stood in line for 30 MINUTES. Nobody was behind the desk. I called the hotel and all of the numbers on the business cards on the desk. They are understaffed and when the girl returned she was out of breath running around finding towels. WOW! That's a long time to stand around waiting while my kids are guarding the groceries!
I tried talking to the manager the next morning and she had a "no harm no foul" attitude. "its all fixed now".
Also, the hotel allows pets (I didn't know that when I booked) and there were fleas! The room was not clean either. There were black things all over the sheets. I called the hotel's main customer service and I still didn't get a response.
NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Harrisburg, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear kaykels,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Harrisburg.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Staybridge Suites Harrisburg? Share your experiences!