“Nice Hotel, walls too thin” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Nice Hotel, walls too thin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

Stayed here for one night after a day at Hershey Park. This hotel is very close to Hershey Park, about 15 min max. The hotel itself is very nice. The rooms were clean, very nice little kitchen area and nice bathroom as well. There are also plenty of places to eat around the hotel. The only drawback is that the walls are paper thin. I was up half the night because the people in the room next to us were so loud. I could even hear their conversation. Not to mention they kept on slamming draws or I don't know what. Plus I could hear the T.V. too.

If it wasn't for the thin walls, I would have given this place a five.

Stayed August 2008
BCarey, General Manager at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Hello! wow! it's been 5 years since you reviewed us on TripAdvisor, have you had a chance to return? we would love to welcome you back! Summer is still a busy time for us be since we opened we have learned a few tricks to work around the noise challenge you had. Hope to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

I always find something to complain about in hotels, but I couldn't here. The hotel was clean, including the room, the rates were reasonable and the staff was super friendly. You really have to understand, I'm never happy in a hotel but I was this time. Very kid friendly, also. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
BCarey, General Manager at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Hope your travel has gone well since you stayed with us... it's been almost 5 years! Time to visit! Thank you!
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

This hotel is bright and cheery, not your usual dark and dreary coloring. Very clean. Staff really nice and friendly. We had a one a one bedroom suite and the living room had a lot of room even when we opened the couch bed up. Continental breakfast just fine (fruit was not good) had bagels, bread, cereal, yogurt, muffins, and Poptarts. Pool very, very small. Hot tub a weird color water.

Drive to Hershey Park about 20 minutes, not bad...ride home had to take crazy detour...ask front desk how to handle the detour.

We would definitely stay there again!!!

• Liked — Clean and bright
  • Disliked — pretty desolate at night
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hello! Did you realize it's been 5 years!? We just celebrated our birthday! We hope to welcome you back to Central PA! thank you!
Oceanside, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

Nice property about 15 minutes west of Hershey Park. Our room had a new, retro chic 1950s look with full kitchen, queen bed and pull out sofa. Clean appearance and smell. Complimentary breakfast in the morning was Ok - lots of carbs and breads.
Not a bad place to stay.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hello! Can you believe it's been 5 years since you reviewed us on TripAdvisor!? We are still here, have an amazing staff and hope to welcome you back to our hotel! keep us in mind if you return to HersheyPark! Wishing you safe travels!
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

We were traveling from Washington, DC and were in Harrisburg because we were taking our son and his friend (5 year olds) to Hershey Park. We arrived at the Towne Place on Thursday and were staying for two nights. I had used my Marriott Rewards points for the room, but when we arrived we realized the studio room was probably too small for our needs for two days with two preschool boys. It was a nice room, but small. We contacted the front desk and the manager on duty (Chris I think was his name) went out of his way to find us a two bedroom suite that would work better. I did have to pay extra for each room, which I would have expected to do, but I know it was a lot less than the room rate would have been if I was just checking in. First impressions of the hotel were very good. The staff was friendly, it is very clean. Large parking lot near a Mall and restaurants on a quiet street. The rooms were very nice. This is a fairly new hotel and you can tell. It is modern and clean. The indoor pool was good and it had a hot tub. They also had a nice selection of snacks and other items you can buy around the clock. The hotel is located about 15 minutes from Hershey Park and that was an easy drive. The 2nd night, after we had been at the Park all day, we were too tired to go out so we ordered from the nearby Ruby Tuesday restaurant as their menu was in the room. The charge for the take out went directly on our bill and the food was delivered very quickly to the lobby area. That was a nice convenience. There are only a few small areas I would like to have seen differently and these are MINOR -- more trashcans in the rooms, alarm clocks that have CD players, or one CD player in the room, better directions to the hotel on their website. We just printed off the directions and realized when we were going to the hotel that they kinda drop you on a street not near the hotel. We knew it was around the Mall so we got ourselves there and found it then. The streets in that area are so new that they were not recognized by GPS. Lastly, they really should upgrade their breakfast. They have a nice clean eating area, but the food offerings are weak. There were no hot items at all. If they would have had a station with pancakes and bacon it would have been perfect. Like I said all minor problems. The bottom line is that we really enjoyed our stay here and I would recommend you stay here as well. If you can, try to get a room on the top floor (4) as I can see where the lower rooms might be noisy. If you are looking for quiet during non sleeping hours this isn't the place for you. This hotel is 15 mins from Hershey Park, is made for small groups, etc... It will have families and it will have children. We found the noise during sleeping hours and in the a.m. to be very low and not a problem at all. Great hotel for the price!

• Liked — Modern, new, clean rooms, nice staff, great location.
  • Disliked — Breakfast could have been better with more offerings and hot items.
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
We're still here! Have you been back? Thank you for the amazing review! We just turned 5!
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

My children and I stayed at this hotel for one night after a day at Hersheypark. The hotel is only a fifteen minute drive from the park. It is located next to the Harrisburg Mall which is very nice. The hotel is new and has a modern decor. We stayed in a studio which was small but adequate for the three of us. The kitchenette was nice - clean and new. The pool is small but again, adequate. The breakfast buffet is continental - we went out for a bigger breakfast.
Overall a nice place for the price.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
TPS Harrisburg Hershey just turned 5! Have you been back? We're still here! Come and see us again!
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

I was really looking forward to staying in a new hotel. We stayed for one week during the 4th of July holiday. I wasn't disappointed by the newness. The decor is pretty and modern...its an extended stay hotel so you have a full kitchen with stainless steel appliances! The hotel smelled new and clean also the staff was friendly and helpful. The location is great and convenient to everything. I felt very safe going to my room at night and there was plenty of parking (a problem I have encountered at other hotels). There is a coin operated laundry room...which is convenient to familys and those staying there a long time like us. The pool area was clean and provided plenty of clean towels. There was free computers with internet access in the lobby..loved that....also free coffee in the room and lobby. The hotel is located conveniently near plenty of places to eat...I suggest the italian restraunt across the street...I think its "Tuscanos" The food was great!! You are right across from the Harrisburg Mall...a very nice mall!

Now the negatives which may be minor to some but I still want others to be aware of.:

1- The walls are very thin! And there were lots of people with little children staying there so if you want to sleep in late it won't happen here!

2- There were a lot of problems with my reservation which was for 7 days and 6 nights...however their computer kept checking me out each day...so when we returned after a long day sight seeing I would have to go back down and spend about 15 minutes explaing to them that I was locked out of my room and no I did not check out! That was a REAL PAIN!!! But the staff was apologized and said since its a new hotel they still have problems to work out...BUT I personally don't understand since Marriott has been around for ages and the reservation was through them whats that got to do with the individual hotel!!

3-You can tell that the construction crew was rushing to finish this hotel because of the lack of attention to detail/finish work. For example...poor/incomplete caulking around the tub, Carpet not secured properly around wall, poor paint/trim work...but thats really just me being nit picky i guess. And really had no effect on my stay.

4- Elevator was extremely slow!

5- Poor housekeeping -I was there for a week and housekeeping skipped my room one day completely and never changed my sheets the entire time I was there! Also, everyday housekeeping only straightened up, made the bed and emptied the trash...they never cleaned the counters, mirror or tub!

My stay was ok...I probally won't stay there again just so that I can try out the other hotels in the area to see if they are better. But I would recommend it!

• Liked — Location and New Construction
  • Disliked — Noisey hotel, poor housekeeping and billing problems and problems with my reservations and
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
We celebrated our 5 year birthday this year! If you haven't been back since we opened it's time to come back! HersheyPark is open and ready!

Been to TownePlace Suites by Marriott Harrisburg Hershey? Share your experiences!