I travel to the Harrisburg area frequently for business, and I now have stayed at the Hampton Inn about five times over the last two months. I also have stayed at the Wingate Inn in Mechanicsburg, and I prefer the Hampton. Overall, I am satisfied with this hotel and likely will continue to stay here in the future. I was a little hesitant to stay here initially based on some of the other reviews (and limited amount of recent feedback), so I wanted to add my comments in the hope that they will help others determine if this hotel is a good choice for them.
• Staff: Everyone I have interacted with has been professional, and several staff members have gone out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Check-in and check-out are always very efficient.
• Breakfast/beverage area: The breakfast/lobby area is nicely appointed, and the food selection is pretty good. I don’t like to eat first thing in the morning, so I just have a glass of juice and take something (breakfast bag, yogurt, bagel, or muffin) to eat later. They also have one hot item each day (which they change), donuts, breads (and toaster), choice of boxed cereals, instant oatmeal, and fruit salad, apples, oranges, along with coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. They also make cookies in the evening, and they have some beverages and plates/utensils available 24/7. There is a computer and TV in this area as well.
• Beds and some room updates: The hotel has comfortable beds with white linens. The rooms have an updated look with newer, geometric print carpets, built-in closets and desks and matching furniture pieces (nightstands and a credenza-like piece that holds the TV (at least 27”) and has a couple of drawers along with a mini-refrigerator under it) in a warm wood tone, and light-blocking window coverings that look like roman shades. There also is a single serving coffee/tea maker on the desk.
• Cleanliness: I don’t search every inch of hotel rooms looking for problems, but the rooms generally seem to be pretty clean and well-maintained. Bathroom cleanliness and bed linens that are not clean are my primary hotel pet peeves, and I have not had a problem with either at this hotel.
• Location: This hotel is in a suburban location with good access to the highway (about 0.5 miles from I-83 within a couple of miles of I-81), and there are several shops and restaurants nearby.
• Free wireless internet in rooms: It is not the fastest connection, but it usually works fine.
Neutral or negatives:
• Room renovations/overall room quality: I understand the rooms were renovated recently, but this clearly is an older building, and the renovations only went so far. The ceilings still have the “popcorn” effect, and some have unsightly stains. The rooms have somewhat noisy individual heat/AC units. Some of the doors are difficult to open.
• Room size and storage space: The rooms are fine for solo traveler, but they might be somewhat crowded for more people or have limited space for storing clothing. The king bed rooms, in particular, have a very small built in closet. The nightstands have three small drawers, and the credenza unit has two small/medium drawers.
• Bathrooms: The bathrooms are about what I expect from a decent Hampton Inn. Tub, vanity, floors, and towels are about average, but there are none of the upgraded features (e.g., granite vanities). I have not had any problem with the hair dryers in any of the rooms.
• Fitness room: I like having fitness equipment available when I travel, and the Hampton has a small fitness room that contains some cardio machines (two treadmills, an elliptical trainer, and (I think) a bike). The room has a kind of weird smell, though. The Hampton also has an agreement with a gym nearby (less than a mile away) where guests can use the gym’s facilities for $5/visit.
• Hotel is not completely smoke-free: I always reserve a non-smoking room. On one visit, my non-smoking room smelled badly of smoke. I was given another room immediately, and the front desk staff apologized. On a few other occasions (not always), I have smelled a fainter smoke odor in the first floor corridor where there are smoking rooms.
Please send me a private message if you have questions.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.