“First REAL disappointment in a Crowne Plaza” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #32 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“First REAL disappointment in a Crowne Plaza”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I'm a Platinum IHG member and frequent all brands of the chain and have come to expect the Crowne Plaza group to be a little bit higher level quality. At first glance - this hotel would fit the bill - however upon closer examination one finds its merely 'window dressing'

First off - check in was luke-warm. I try to be very perky as I usually get the same energy in response, however the two people that checked me in showed NO emotion, NO energy...it was just really kinda like..."ehhh".

Okay - they won't ruin my day...so up to the room I go.

OLD elevator that smelled like smoke and must.

Hallway...also musty. And you can start to see the wear and tear on the carpet and walls.

Upon arrival to my room, the door just looked old and beat up. Scratches at the bottom, layers and layers of paint. Once inside - NICE and roomy. very well laid out. However - again...upon closer examination, the carpet looks VERY old and worn. The refrigerator looks beat to death and wouldn't fully close. It also didn't smell too good inside. A/C unit looked like something out of the 50's. Bed was SUPER comfy. However, the tv/cable was in and out - and more 'out' than 'in'.

Time to check the very important room...the bathroom...

EEEWWWW!!!! The wrong sized toilet seat on the toilet...REALLY?!? When I called down...they can't do anything until tomorrow...REALLY?!?!? (How about send someone to your nearest Target or Walmart and get the right size!) - they did get it fixed the following morning.

I then began looking CLOSER at the bathroom and was just grossed out. CAKED UP dust, mold, loose fixtures...and of course...layers and layers of paint. I have a few pictures.

I really think there are some better hotels in the area at the price point I was at.

Oh...Wi-fi...HA!!! Nonexistent. I had to go to the lobby to get any kind of connection.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Toni R, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear WIndy City,
I thank you for taking time to post your comments. You feedback is very valuable in helping us provide better service, every day. Our goal is to provide excellent guest service to all of our guests and take it very seriously when we fail. I would like to apologize for your disappointing stay at our Crowne Plaza.

I have used your valuable feedback to address each and every issue with our team. The team leaders have gone back to their departments to use your comments to help improve upon service to our guests.
If you would happen to be in our area in the future, please give me a call so that I can take care of you and show that we do strive to give our guests the impeccable service you all deserve. I can be reached at the hotel at (717) 991-5689.
Toni Rieber
Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

At check in, I asked for a room on a high floor and far away from the elevator. Both requests were accommodated, and cheerfully so. I found the room to be a nice size, the bed to be comfortable, and the bathroom to be an acceptable size. The hotel is one of two (the Hilton being the other) that are immersed in Harrisburg's small downtown area, so if it's important to you to be able to walk around for work or leisure, you'll want to pick one of these two.

Now, for the caveats. When the bathroom door swung open, it stopped mere inches from the toilet. So you'll have to live with closing the door when performing toilet-specific functions, like it or not.

Here's another one: through NO fault of the hotel, I parked in the parking garage across the street, figuring it'd be cheaper and I wouldn't have to wait for a valet to return my car as I would if I'd parked in the Crowne Plaza's garage. Unfortunately, the garage was totally closed on Saturday at 11 am when I wanted to leave. I had to call some emergency number, after asking a stranger for the Harrisburg area code because it wasn't listed on the sign. Then the guy who answered had to send someone to let me out. To be honest, that kind of made Harrisburg look like a hick town; such things would never happen in real cities. The person who showed up came in about 10 minutes, so no big issue, but kind of odd and a little pathetic. Again, this was NO fault of the hotel whatsoever, but I thought you'd want to know to be careful if/when choosing the garage instead of valeting your car with the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Toni R, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Flying Toast,
Thank you for choosing out hotel for your travels. We appreciate your feedback and and use it to help us to better provide a higher level of guest servce to all of our guests,
I apologize for your disappointment in our bathrooms and will pass this information along to our Engineer.
Please contact me personally if you come to our area in the future, so that I can assure your parking experience goes smoothly!
Enjoy your summer,
Silvis, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza this week on our way out to the east coast. It was ok, but not great. It is an older building that has received some updating (great beds, new decor, lovely lobby), but probably needs to be gutted and completely re-done. I felt like it was kind of like "putting lipstick on a pig," as the saying goes! The bathroom -and the toilet -was minuscule! It was the size of a small closet, and I felt like Buddy the Elf on the tiny toilet every time I went to the bathroom!

That being said, the manager at the restaurant downstairs was awesome! He was very kind and accommodating to us and our handicapped daughter- he moved tables and even gave her a complimentary breakfast! The other staff was great as well- very kind and attentive!

All in all, it's a fine hotel for an overnight stay, but I wouldn't stay any length of time here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Heather C,
Much appreciation comes your way for taking time to post your comments. I am excited to share your positive comments with our staff and especially, Sharath our Restaurant Manager. Our staff takes pride in providing excellent service to our guests and LOVE when guest feedback, tell them, they have succeeded.
I apologize for your disappointment in our bathrooms and would love to tell you this is an issue we can fix. I can put this comment in your profile and assure you if you travel this way in the future that we will be assigned to a different room in hopes that you will have a more positive experience.
ENjoy your summer!
La Mirada, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

The service staff needs to use door wedges so that they do not use the security bar to let the door hit and make lots of noise early in the morning.

The front desk staff is outstanding and will go the extra mile to take care of the guest. The bar staff is up on all the current sports things that are going on locally.

Great location if you are having to visit D&H Offices

Room Tip: Make sure and stay on the none main street side
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Toni R, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to share your most recent experiences with us We value our guests’ feedback, and appreciate your constructive observations regarding your experiences. Our team is committed to providing each guest with excellent service, and although we did not exceed your expectations, I am confident we will utilize your remarks for the betterment of the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

I appreciate and am eager to share your positive comments about the staff and the service they provided. They love to hear when they've gone above and beyond our guests expectations and it encourages them to raise the bar even higher in their service standards.

We certainly hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back during future visits to the Harrisburg, Hershey Region.
Indio, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The clock in my room didn't work, nor did the blow dryer. I had to ask for more toilet paper and I was short on towels; there was no room service menu in the room (and this was true of multiple rooms, I found out). On the day of checkout (a Wednesday), I had to wait about 20 minutes for my car from the valet parking. Did not realize before we booked that all they had was valet parking. The bathroom was really tiny and the door hit the toilet when you opened it.

But - the location was convenient for our visit, the bed was comfortable, room service and the restaurant were both OK (although the breakfast buffet did not include toast or English muffins, and we had to ask for the blueberry muffins they had out the day before). But the people who worked here seemed genuine and wanted to help.

Probably will not stay here again, though, because of the little annoyances...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking a moment to share your most recent experiences with us . We value our guests’ feedback, and appreciate your constructive observations regarding your experiences. Our team is committed to providing each guest with excellent accommodations, and although we did not exceed your expectations, I am confident we will utilize your remarks for the betterment of the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

We are diligently working with the appropriate professionals to address the issues you have mentioned. I am excited to share your positive comments about the friendliness of our staff with them at our next meeting. It encourages them to continue to provide our guests with outstanding guest service.

We thank you for staying with us while in area and we certainly hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back during future visits to the Harrisburg, Hershey Region.
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Had to go to Harrisburg for a conference for 3 days and selected this hotel to be in the downtown area. Very clean, very reasonable and extremely accommodating. The staff was wonderful and did everything to help with ground transportation to a late checkout. The staff are bilingual which is a plus. Had dinner in the hotel restaurant and was really impressed with the diversity and quality in dishes. Breakfast buffet is very good. A lot of variety and the price is good. But get there before 9 as they begin to tear down around then. The indoor pool is just that... indoor and no access to outside for sunning. Their gym is
Crown Plaza is one of only two larger chain hotels in the downtown area and I would not hesitate to return or to recommend this property to anyone. The parking fees are in line with the city average for overnight $18. If you go to Harrisburg for business or pleasure, this hotel is strategically located to great restaurants and easy access to the business district.

Room Tip: get a room not facing the front of the hotel on South 2nd St. Street gets noisy very early and f yo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. Our team takes pride in providing all of our guests with outstanding service and are encouraged by the positive feedback your comments provide. We appreciate constructive feedback, as well, as it helps them to be better able to improve the service we provide.
Thank you for choosing our Crowne Plaza hotel while in the Harrisburg area. We hope to be your hotel of choice, should your travels bring you to our area in the future.
Enjoy your summer,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed for a weekend, the hotel location is excellent. The hotel is clean,has a gym and a nice pool.The hotel is just minutes from the two important city attractions: State capital and city Island. Inaddition, the hotel is also 20 min from Hershey.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to provide us with your comments on your experience while staying with us. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to continue to encourage our staff to provide the excellent service our guests deserve.
We are pleased to have been your hotel of choice while in our area and will look forward to your return.

Best Regards,