“Happy Harmony” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Happy Harmony”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2014

Having been to this restaurant many times in the past , we were apprehensive about returning there with it having bad reviews under the new management. We were happily surprised with a great reasonably priced extensive menu as well as many micro brewery selections. Even the restrooms were updated. If there was one complaint it would be the lack of knowledge of some entrees by the wait staff, although they readily asked someone more knowing.

• Visited December 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Bad management/owners Pass on Harmony Inn.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2014

I hate it when reviews are unfair with restaurants, so I will make this as plain and unemotional as possible trying to not sound like a jerk. A few months back we had very poor service and poor treatment from staff at Harmony Inn. An hour wait turned into 2, promises on when food would come and not met, and we had to leave for a show. We paid for our drinks and left, and sent a letter in the mail to them, not a nasty letter, but a "hey we had a problem" letter. Our address and phone number was on it. Waited 1 month and no call or reply. Then I sent the same note via e-mail to the Harmony Inn. I've waited another month, no call or reply. Those are the unemotional facts. Now for my opinion. If you screw up, and don't have the decency to at least say your sorry or to find out why the customer is stating the problems they had, then I don't believe people should patronize the establishment. It's a shame too, since we used to like the old Harmony Inn, but apparently new management has a "take it or leave it" attitude.

I didn't want to blast them on social media and review sites because that wouldn't have been entirely fair to them. But with the silence that comes from the Harmony Inn after 2 months I now need to share this with others. Shame on them. My suggestion is to drive a few miles away for much better service and meal, where at least somebody has an interest in what you think and not just your money.

Visited September 2014
Butler, Pennsylvania
“Needs polishing...Food sub par, service okay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2014

I have always been a huge fan of the Harmony Inn. I was also very excited to have dinner under the new ownership to see what changes had been made.
My family and I went for an early dinner around 4:30. We got the last table before they started to put people on a wait and were seated by the side door in the bar. People continually packed in around us after that and you could barely move (as I got elbowed by waiting customers, accidentally of course, while eating... it was just very packed and hard to enjoy my meal.) But being busy is NOT a bad thing! I think that is great for the new owners...but I was rather uncomfortable.
Our server seemed rushed. He only seemed to have one draft list in his section, as he kept asking other diners if he could take their list for new guests. We ordered pretzels for an appetizer. Very quick item... but they came out with our meals. My steak which I ordered rare, was medium well. I ordered another beer for dessert and they had just changed the keg so it took some time, but the second beer I ordered (same as the one I had ordered first) had a very metallic taste... something was not right. The server did suggest another beer for me, which was appropriate.
But overall I did not particularly enjoy my experience. The staff I observed needed to smile more (at the front door and behind the bar). The menu is large and on that note, I think a bit too large.
It was very busy which is of no fault of the restaurant, but I felt rushed and crowded. I did not observe any managers on the floor. The kitchen's timing was bit off.
It is a newer establishment and it was a busy weekend, so I understand it takes time to fine tune, but they have been open for a number of months now. I would go back for nostalgic reasons, but I would not go out of my way. Nothing stood out besides the ambiance. So overall, things still need a bit more polishing.

• Visited November 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Big Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

A friend recommended this resturarant to me. Since I liked the menu, I decided to have a group (20 people) meet there. I called and confirmed the reservation with the hostess, who said the manager would give me a call that night. He didn't call until around 10 the following day and told me that not only could he not accomodate us on the date that we scheduled, but no dates in December were available either. I was very upset. Not sure if I'll try it now, even though the fondue sounded really good!

Visited November 2014
Pennsylvania
“Wasn't a huge fan”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014

We met up with a group of family for dinner on a Friday night. This was my first visit here, so I wasn't sure what to expect. They had a lot of interesting beers at the bar, which made the guys happy. The mixed drinks came out well also, no complaints there.

We were seated in the upstairs level, and it was a little cramped for space. The building looked to be an old house that was converted into a restaurant, which was a neat idea. Our table technically fit 6 people and we had 7, but we made it work. Our server was hit and miss, but he did seem to have several tables so maybe they were a bit understaffed that night.

The food was underwhelming for me. The menu is heavily German-based and little hard to understand. We tried the pretzel with beer cheese and some kind of mustard for an appetizer and it was just ok. Once our meals came out, 3 of the 7 of us didn't like the food at all. The rest thought it was ok, but nothing special.

It was a nice place to visit the bar and grab a drink, but the food wasn't all that great. I did think it was fairly reasonable as far as prices for food and drinks. Besides the long drive to get there and difficult parking, I wouldn't return unless I was just passing by and wanted only to drink at a bar.

• Visited November 2014