“Buffet bar was 90% empty” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 112 Restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Buffet bar was 90% empty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Stopped in around 9:30 on Sunday morning for a quick breakfast. The food bar was empty - no pancakes, no waffles, no gravy, no scrambled eggs, no bacon, no chicken fried steak, no chicken tenders, no French toast...I asked a person - who turned out to be a manager if she would refill the chicken tenders. She nodded but they were not replenished until 20 minutes later, after I had a biscuit and a piece of cake for breakfast and was so annoyed I was leaving.
Other customers were also waiting at the buffet, all of us being ignored by the "manager." No apologies, no apparent sense of urgency. The bar looked like no one watched it and refilled as needed, but rather waited until it was empty and then started to prepare food to replenish. Servers were obviously upset as well. One of them pointed out the number for corporate which I called on Monday. They were apologetic.
A total waste of money and time. Actually left hungry. We've had negative experiences here before but one always hopes ...so we tried it one LAST time. I am so annoyed I did not take photos, I would not have needed to write a review and could have just posted the photos.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Excellent food, service and value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

A friend and I went to Ryan's Family Steakhouse In Hanover, Pa., for lunch on May 14 for the first time. It was recommended by another friend. We were very pleased with everything about Ryan's and appreciate the senior discount they offer. We had a very friendly waitress who checked with us several times to be sure everything was to our satisfaction and to give us beverage refills. Another reviewer here said there was no longer silverware on the table, but when we sat down, there was silverware on our table. We found the restaurant to be very clean when we were there, both in the seating areas and in the buffet/serving area. The fried chicken was some of the best I've had in a long time. The chicken and dumplings and the pot roast were equally good. The buffet has a very good selection of hot vegetables and potatoes. My friend went with salad which looked very fresh. We both went back for seconds. We both decided to get dessert and liked that the cake and pie slices were small, not so large you can't finish them after a meal. We really enjoyed our lunch at Ryan's and have decided to go there for lunch on a regular basis. Next time we may try the grilled-to-order steaks. Would I recommend Ryan's in Hanover? Absolutely.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
York, Pennsylvania
“Mixed emotions about this place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

It's a long drive for us to go to Ryans so we do it maybe once a year. Used to be a great place to go after church in the autumn. Nice drive. Yesterday we took friends from church and treated them. Ryans was nice enough to send me a buy one get one coupon for the buffet. That was nice. When we got there my first impression was, "this place has changed and not for the better". The floors were dirty starting right inside the door. No longer is your silverware on the table. You have to collect it for yourself, but nobody told us this. Nice selection of food, but the salad bar area wasn't cleaned of spills and just looked unkempt. Some things like the sour creme where the taco fixings were was never replaced and remained empty. They had a nice selection of desserts and I got a tiny piece of pecan pie that was really good. Husband didn't like the chocolate pudding at all. The mac and cheese was slimy and the cheese didn't string from the serving spoon as much as it slimmed. The fried potatoes were greasy but tasted good. The chicken Alfredo had a tasty sauce but I only ate the pasta because the chicken just didn't appeal. The rolls the waitress brought to the table were outstanding and her service was good with clearing plates and keeping water glasses filled. They did have steaks to order and other things that none of us tried. I doubt that you will leave hungry. When we left I felt somewhat embarrassed having brought friends to a place that I didn't feel was as clean as I'd have liked it to be and remembered it to be. Perhaps the management will read this and ramp up the cleaning. I hope so, because I'd like to come back, but only if things are spruced up.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Oxford, Pennsylvania
“Not good Food at Ryan's go to lu hibachi buffet”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This used to be a great place to eat but it changed Management and they keep getting a new one and the food is still bad. Not sure what has happened. We no longer go there and now go to lu hibachi buffet and it is the best food, service, and Price.

Visited March 2013
Dover, Pennsylvania
“Budget friendly restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Wonderful food-always good and consistent. Not over seasoned. Steak cooked to your desire-hibachi stir fry available-carved ham and beef-ribs-salad bar-bakery-fresh fruit bar with prepared potato & macaroni & broccoli type salads, soups-your choice of beverage. Quick seating. Value priced for your budget. Senior citizen discount. Tables, floor and buffet area clean. Staff is prompt with your beverage and refills. Thursday night is Family night from 5-8pm. Two kids eat for 99 cents for 11 years and younger with a purchase of adult dinner.

• Visited August 2013