“Aunt Vita's Kitchen” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Claymont, Delaware
“Aunt Vita's Kitchen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This, I believe, is my first review. I was in Greensburg this weekend and thanks to Tripadvisor, I heard about and was able to try LaVita's. We arrived there very early on Saturday around 3:45 which was too early for dinner or a late lunch as she didn't open until 6:00 pm. We were told to come back like around 6. So we left to kill some time but she took down the number in our party and since I was leery about not being able to get a table because of the small dining room, we decided to rearrive just a little after 6. Just like the other reviewers, the place is really small; and if you don't mind that and trust that your dining experience will be worth it, then this restaurant is a must visit. Although the room size was very small, I was impressed with the display of Italian pics on the wall which I found looked like they were professionally hung. Very surprising for such a small restaurant. There was one family just leaving when we arrived, apparently some regulars who she didn't feel she could turn away as she hadn't opened yet. After we were seated she told us everything was cook to order, that she could cook just about anything on the menu but didn't have any lasagna. She also told us that we could if we wanted get our food prepared homestyle. While looking at the menus, she offered us salad if we were going to have dinner as it comes with it. We said yes and then she told us that it comes with a balsamic vinaigrette and asked was that okay. I'm not a balsamic person. I don't dislike it but it's just not my fave at all. When the salad arrived heaped up in a bowl my first thought was way too much salad for just us 3. BUT once we tasted it, we (me included) discovered this salad was out of this world. The dressing made by La Vita was absolutely delicious and with a few chicken strips could have been a very satisfying meal all by itself. We ordered the chicken picatta as was advised by another reviewer and overall, went home stuffed, smiling and very happy. By the way, there was no salad left over. There was another family dining there by the time we left. Again, other regulars who were having pizza. Because the dining room was so small it was easy to chat with the other family who were very friendly. Because of reading the other reviews, I warned my dining partners that the service may not be that great but to think of it, as we were told, like dining at your not so nice Aunt's house. So we went there with that mindset. When we had arrived she asked how we heard of her and I said from Tripadvisor, and when we were on our way out the door she asked if we enjoyed our food and was satisfied. Told her yes and she asked me for a good review which I told her I was definitely willing to give. The food was delicious and LaVita was very pleasant and nice. She isn't a warm and fuzzy grandmother stuffing you with cookies, but I found her to be very pleasant and easy to talk to. If I'm in that area again, I will defintely go back to LaVita's. From hence forth, I will rename her Aunt Vita.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

dc area
“Like grandma's kitchen - do not miss La Vita's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I am distantly related to Rosann, the owner of LaVita's.

I am a salesperson and am dragged regularly by my foodie co-workers to fancy schmancy this and that all over the country. So, when my Mom told me about this place, and that she'd recently been there with her second cousin, Jim, who is a regular I insisted she make a reservation for our visit to the Pittsburgh area last weekend. The reservation took a little negotiation at the last minute, even for family, so stick with it! After dinner long family histories were recited at a dizzying clip, lot's of "you remember her she married my cousin they're divorced now", and hugs and kisses ended the night. But for the majority of the evening we were exactly like the rest of the reviewers below -- bemused by the setting, amused by the service and amazed by the food that didn't stop coming out of the kitchen for 2 hours. No special treatment.

Former pizza shop. 13 room house owned by the family behind it. 100 funny stories about how it all came to be.

BYOB indeed. The 2nd cousin Jim was back again with a table of 20 friends, magnums of homemade red wine on their table, so wine was poured many times and the laughter was loud. Even if you don't know the people beside you, make some friends. My husband even visited Rose and her sons in the kitchen, and helped a little by bringing out water glasses and extra napkins.

The food!! We had what the big group had : fried zucchini, calamari, and salad (agree with all raves - this was what reminded me the most of my Grandma's kitchen). Rosann asked if we wanted beans and greens and we took 3 cups to share with our 6 person group. This was followed by eggplant parm, red sauce spaghetti, white sauce with spinach on linguine and chicken piccatta. My favorites of the evening were the zucchini, beans and greens and pasta with white sauce. The chicken piccata is absolutely fabulous. We took home boxes of leftovers. Oh -- as a special favor Rose fried dough for dessert....really making me miss my sweet Italian Gram.

You will never meet a harder working, kinder-hearted restaurant owner. It would not be half as much fun at La Vita's if Rose were demure and fancy. There should be a Saturday Night Live skit written based on La Vita!

xoxoxox to the Veenis family from Lou, Laurie, Danny, Ben, Liz and Paul. See you on our next visit to Pittsburgh!!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

If you want to go somewhere for the service/experience this isnt the place. The owner/server is not friendly and appears to be quite rude, but if you are looking for awesome, authentic Italian food, you must try it! This is just a small place, you'd never know that it was a restaurant by the looks of it outside. There are only a handful of tables, so call ahead. They have a menu but it seems like you need to call ahead with your order and reservation for the night. They offer family sized portions and BYOB at a very reasonable price. Their house salad is great as well as the chicken piccata!

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ohio
“Good food with great prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Yesterday we passed through Greensburg and thanks to Tripadvisor we found La Vita's. We never would have found it without the review or the address. It's a small remade pizza place. We caught the owner dealing with some emergencies with phone outages and missing menus, but she didn't miss a beat. She rattled off the long list of things she could make us, making it hard for me to pick. Everyone there seemed to know each other but were friendly and anxious to make suggestions as to what we might like. I loved that.
Our salads were excellent. I had the house dressing, a balsamic vinegrette, and my husband went with bottled blue cheese. The greens were fresh, mixed with tomatoes, carrots and red peppers. My husband got spaghetti and I ordered eggplant parm. Serving sizes were huge and as good as I've ever had, everything homemade. I'm not sure we'll ever be in Greensburg again, but you can bet if we are, we'll go back.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Like eating at your mother's/grandmother's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Call ahead to make reservations and select your food.
They were booked on our first few attempts.
Nothing fancy - just good home made meals.
Salad was excellent - fresh, crisp, and nice variety of veggies.
Owner was very accomodating with our menu choices.
Just like eating in your mother/grandmother's kitchen.
BYOB
Overall very nice experience and plan to go back.

• Visited June 2012