“Had a wonderful stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Captain's Watch Inn

The Captain's Watch Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greensboro
The Captain's Watch Inn
You added The Captain's Watch Inn to your Saves list
106 Water St, PO Box 164, Greensboro, PA 15338   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Greensboro B&B and Inns
USA
“Had a wonderful stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

We stayed at the Inn for her birthday last fall. The weekend provided perfect weather so we were able to really enjoy this B&B's full charm. Memorable feature: eating breakfasts on the porch overlooking the sprawling river. Beautiful! The structure is a magnificent old home. Fans of new, ultra-modern spaces with every modern convenience should look elsewhere.

We went in early September, so I imagine this scenic river view only gets better with the autumnal color change. Nicely located in the middle of nowhere yet Frank Lloyd Wright's Kentuck Knob is less than one hour away and Morgantown is under 30 minutes.

The host was a genial and helpful chap, full of information about local places to visit, places to dine and historical sites. When we came back from a long day's events, we headed to our room. Outside the door we found a mini bottle of champagne with a few small cookies and chocolate. A small gift for her birthday that was appreciated and a memorable, kind touch that separated this place from the ordinary.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
algonac
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Recently my husband and I celebrated out 40th wedding anniversary at the "The Captains Watch Inn." Not only was the stay enjoyable, and relaxing but informative. We live in Michigan and Pennsylvania has long been a favorite state for us to visit. Relaxing on the wrap around porch watching the river go by seemed to take us back in time and the owner "Captain," Bill, gave us lots of historical information not only of Greensboro, but the surrounding area, and Pennsylvania. My husband is a history teacher and he was appreciative of the wealth of information the owner shared.I loved the room, the decor was top notch as well as the service. It was a perfect weekend I will never forget!

Chappaqua, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

My family and I stumbled upon the captain's 3 years ago on our way to my parent's house in Ohio, and it has become a yearly must-stop for us. The "Captain", Bill, is a warm, funny man who made us feel like the Inn was our own home. Needless to say, my kids love that, and always request to stay in the wing that has a loft bed in it.
My wife and I prefer a bedroom right on the river. You can't beat lying in a big, beautiful 4 poster bed, reading a book, while the gentle breeze blows in from the huge windows facing the sleepy river.
Dinner is fresh, hot, and you get to choose from one of several meals by request. Steak, pasta, fish, etc. Always good. The porch is so beautiful for dining at night, by candle light, and the Captain is charming and as nice as can be. He actually played the bag pipes for us once!
You have a choice of breakfasts. The Captain is a really good cook, and I always choose the Eggs McBenedict. That one is off the menu, so be sure to ask for it!
Anyway, long story short, Sitting on that porch watching the river go by, listening to the radio with a cold beer, is my idea of getting away from it all. Then of course, it's on to my parent's...but that's another story! LOL.
We highly recommend the Captain's Watch. It is the place to forget about the city, and the fast life.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Bennington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We chose for our anniversay getaway this quiet resort to rekindle the romance we seemed to have lost since we had children. What a great place! Old masculine Victorian but not shabby. Unusual and interesting antiques, a fireplace in every room and MOST important to me, a full bath in every guest room. This is not the case in many B & Bs. Great trails to walk, a park with a swimming pool, a bike trail, and a beautiful river to canoe or kayak. We even got to see Frank Lloyd Wright"s 'Falling Water.' Magnificent!
Our Innkeeper (The Captain himself !) was always cheerful and helpful. He even brought a split of champaine, a heart shaped box of chocolates and a personal note to our room to celebrate our anniversary. We have decided that this will be "Our Place" to celebrate our anniversary from now on!

Room Tip: Both rooms in the
Bridgeville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I have stayed at the Captain's Watch Inn several times recently while working nearby on an out of town assignment. The owner Bill has been flexible with me because of my work schedule and is very interested in accommodating his guests. If he is ever unavailable in the morning to prepare the breakfast he has a very kind local woman "Marrianne" come by in his place to prepare the meal which I have always been very pleased with.

Because I am down there mostly for business as opposed to pleasure (although I did find time to visit Friendship Hill National Park which is right across the River) I have not traveled to most of the nearby attractions such as Falling Water, Kentuck Knob, Fort Necessity, Ohio Pyle, etc.... while staying at the Captain's Watch but because I have previously been to most of them I know that this would be a good location to stay while visiting them.

On my most recent trip down there while sitting on the wrap around porch enjoying my breakfast and chatting with Bill about the local area, I saw my first Bald Eagle "in the wild". We both acknowledged it at the same time as it flew across the river within about 100 feet of the porch to behind some nearby trees. About 20 minutes later we saw it again as it flew back across to the other side. ---- That made my day !!

Room Tip: My room was very quiet even when guests were staying above me - A/C was good - Shower was hot and ha...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Initially, let me say that with the utmost respect to some of the other reviewers, I find it difficult to comprehend that we are reviewing the same B&B, yes, that being the Captain’s Watch Inn. This is also the very first time that I have EVER given ANY establishment a poor review, but I just could not in good conscience waste my time any money on this place without comment. In my describing the train wreck that is the Captain’s Watch to my family following my recent stay, I used the following analogy: this B&B is like giving a beautiful new car to an uncaring teenager who proceeds to trash it. It is, honestly, quite sad to watch someone take something that could be quite nice (i.e., the charming B&B building itself) and destroy it, seemingly trying to make it as underwhelming an experience as possible. The exterior of the building, and the structure itself, is actually very nice, especially the wraparound porch. However, the décor was atrocious. The sheer number of cheap, faux antiques and cheezy, eerily creepy pictures was impressive; quite the collection. That said, the Captain’s Watch merits one out of five stars for one reason alone: the HORRENDOUS staff and breakfast.

As a caveat, and judging from the other reviews, I am assuming (and hoping, for the sake of the business) that the inconsiderate woman who “hosted” our stay was not the owner of this fine establishment. In any event, this individual showed up for the very first time at 8:00 on Saturday evening and brought with her two young children, one of whom was admittedly very sweet and FAR, FAR nicer to us the following morning than the very rude host. The children were given leave to run amok throughout the B&B, and they were incredibly loud (the walls to the rooms are, surprisingly, paper-thin). At 9:00 p.m., at a time when my girlfriend and I were enjoying an intimate moment in our room, the host decides to get in touch with us for the first time by banging on the door and barking at us, in a very rude voice, the time in which it would be convenient for her to prepare the “meal” the following morning (more on that later; I use the term meal VERY loosely). At every other B&B I’ve been to, which number quite a few, the host is invariably very welcoming and gives guests a window in which to have breakfast. Prior to the Captain’s Watch, I’ve never had anyone say, “I’m making breakfast at 8:00 a.m., take it or leave it.” Immediately following this mood-killing experience, which alone was not too bad, the sweet little girl was locked inside of a closet by her young companion, in a room down the hall from us. Thereupon, the child began to scream and bang on the door for minutes. She screamed like a banshee and, surprisingly, did not manage to break the door off its hinges. Mind you, we could hear this entire sideshow as if the girl were in our own room. It literally sounded like someone was torturing her. We both felt very bad for her, but were both rather indisposed at the moment. The girl had to wait for another guest, not her caretaker, to finally let her out. Following a, thankfully, uneventful evening, we were awoken early in the morning by the sound of a screen door repeatedly slamming, loudly, directly below our window (we were forced to leave the window open, as it was a hot evening and there was no air conditioner). Eventually, we round up our things and go downstairs for breakfast at 8:05, five minutes after the appointed time, set by our far-less-than-courteous host. Upon encountering the host, she rudely says to my girlfriend, “Can I help you?” She must get confused quite easily, as there was no one in the ghost town of Greensboro that weekend, and we came for breakfast at the exact time that she had set. As for the breakfast itself, I can honestly say, that it was not only, hands-down, the worst slop I’ve ever had at a B&B (the food is normally very good at ANY other B&B), but it was the overall worst breakfast that I’ve had in my life. The host had set out three aluminum warming trays; the food in each was cold as ice and absolutely horrible. One contained a bounty of three very dry pieces of French toast. The next contained two plentiful ounces of undercooked, runny scrambled eggs. The final contained a disgusting mystery meat product, vaguely resembling cold bacon. I truly felt embarrassed for the host for preparing this nightmare and presenting it to guests with a straight face, but she clearly lacked the capacity to feel embarrassed for herself. I seriously would have paid an extra $20, on top of the $100+ that I had already wasted on the B&B experience, to have forgone the breakfast nightmare entirely. We left the Captain’s Watch that morning as early as physically possible, even though we had not initially planned to hit the road anywhere near so early. This was the very first time that I actually felt relieved to leave a B&B as early as possible. In a nutshell, the Captain’s Watch is a colossal waste of money, and I am just thankful that we did not contract any foodborne illnesses from the nightmare breakfast. Enough said.

Blacksburg, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

If there had been more comments on TripAdvisors I think we would have passed this place up.
The Captain’s Watch is located in Greensboro, PA, a very small town. We walked up and down the hilly streets. There doesn’t seem to be very many businesses open any more. The book listed on the Captain’s Watch was not open while we were there. There is a restaurant in town, however, it closed at 6pm on Sunday. You have to travel to the previous town or go in to Morgantown, WV if you want more of a selection. We brought food with us so this wasn’t an issue for us.
Here’s my impression of the Captain’s Watch
The positives:
The porch- we spent most of our time at the table or on the rattan furniture.
The three cheese omelet
The owner was friendly and helped us with our day trip by providing a magazine, directions, and provided us with ice.
The property was right next to the river. We watched tugs with coal go up and down the river.
There was a fireplace in our room which would be very nice when the weather was chilly.
Towel warmer
The town walking trail
The day trip to see Fallingwaters and Kentuck Knob, both Frank Lloyd Wright houses about an hour from the B&B.
Bikes and canoes available for use
Things that need improvement:
Lighting in the room. We had one lamp so we had to take off the shade to try and get as much light as possible
The bathroom configuration was weird. The placement of the toilet was too close to the door making it a very narrow passage into the rest of the room- definitely not handicap accessible.
Our AC was so loud that we ended up just turning it on fan to make a little noise and move some air around. I eventually opened the windows to get more air.
The carpeting in our room was in need of a shampoo, wallpaper is coming loose from the wall behind the door, and there was an outlet that didn’t have a plate.
The rooms in the house seemed to be a bit smaller and much darker. I noticed that you couldn’t even open the windows since they didn’t have screens.
There were things lying about outside and inside for our entire stay giving it an unprofessional look.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Captain's Watch Inn? Share your experiences!