“Very nice hotel - lots of things for Kids to do” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Grantville
Imlay City, Michigan
“Very nice hotel - lots of things for Kids to do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel is very nice, and it's close to Hershey Park. There are lots of things for kids to do, such as indoor mini-golf, a basketball court, and a pool. Clearly this hotel is geared to families. We did not have any kids with us, but we still enjoyed our stay here. We originally booked the hotel for one night, but it was such a pleasant stay that we extended it for another night. You should be aware that it is an "extended stay" hotel, so don't expect that same daily maid service you get at other hotels.

Worried about the noise from a family friendly hotel? We found the room to be very quite and peaceful. We had a suite that had a separate bedroom, which likely helped keep the room quite.

The front desk people was great, friendly, and very helpful. I would definitely recommend you consider this hotel - especially if you have children.

Room Tip: The suite facing the parking lot was a good location for us.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GMPA547, Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out an online comment with such positive feedback about your stay with us! I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

We are looking forward to providing you the same pleasant accommodations and service the next time you are in town, thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Larchmont, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

After being checked in by unprofessional staff in t-shirts and being a shown a list of things the hotel does not do or provide (e.g., full maid service on weekends), our room was not ready when we checked in well after check-in time. We waited in the lobby and purposely put ourselves in front of the manager's office. When someone came out of the manager office (dressed in a t-shirt and shorts) overheard our conversation, he asked the front desk if the room was ready. We still had to wait and this 'manager' never said a word to us. The room was clean but rules were posted everywhere. This hotel seemed to have a philosophy that the guest was the enemy who could only do wrong. No this, no that, be advised, etc... and if you break these rules we'll evict you. Even the toilet in the room had an awful large sign glued to it warning of what not to flush down. Good grief....had the hotel turned the messaging upside down the entire experience would have been better. For example, instead of saying "If you make noise after 11:00 pm, we'll evict you." they could have said, "For the comfort of our guests, please keep noise to a mininum after 11:00 pm." Pool was clean and the kids enjoyed the slide. Breakfast was lame but enough to get us started.

Major room complaint was the towels. Again, assuming the worst of guests, towels were rationed. They took our 'dirty' towels, but didn't replace them until after 4:00 pm in the afternoon. Apparently, they don't have enough towels to stock the hotel rooms properly without morning laundry. This was done across the board in all rooms, not just ours. They gave only a precise number of towels and threatened to charge if one was missing (another rule!).

Stay if you must, but if rooms are available elsewhere go there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GMPA547, Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a comment regarding your recent stay at MainStay Suites

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations. We take customer service very seriously as you can read the other positive reviews on this site concerning that area and am sorry you felt otherwise. Being near Hershey Park and the Hollywood Casino we have a variety of different visitors staying with us, to ensure all our guests get a good night sleep we have a Good Neighbor Policy. It reads 'For the comfort and safety of all our guests, our hotel maintains a Good Neighbor Policy. We take pride in the hotel and believe all our guests should enjoy a quiet and relaxing environment. The purpose of this document is to help everyone be Good Neighbor'. It also states guests with legitimate noise complaints after 11PM will be given 2 warning. We apologize if this message got misconstrued.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Grantville.
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Our family of 5 stayed overnight last week, July 2013. We were pleasantly surprised how nice this hotel was and the amenities it offered. We didn't have time to take advantage of the pool or mini golf, but everyone enjoyed the free breakfast choices.

Our room was comfortable, clean and accommodating to have the kitchen area. We were only a 10-minute drive to Hershey Park which was great. When we come back to the Hershey area, we will stay here again. The price was very reasonable too for a suite.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMPA547, General Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a comment with such positive feedback about your stay here at the MainStay Suites Grantville/Hershey! I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Great price, great hotel! Front desk staff was very, very young, however, they were so accommodating. I highly recommend this hotel. It was 10 min from Hershey Park. It was worth it. The price was surprising for everything you get in the room- stove, refrigerator, sink. Kids loved the pool & slide! Great value!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your positive comment on your recent stay here, we really do appreciate it! Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.

Wyckoff, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I cannot review the property because I haven't stayed there yet, and now have no intention of doing so. My husband was called to work tomorrow evening. I attempted to change my reservation online, but the deadline to do so was 48 hours, not 24 hours. I called the hotel directly to explain my situation, stating that if I cannot have a refund of the money (which is understandable), I would like to change the date of my stay to another night. The man who answered the phone (possibly Adam?) asked me to hold on. Within five seconds, no exaggeration as I was so caught off-guard at how quickly he was back on the line, he told me there is nothing that can be done, that's the policy, sorry. I asked if I can stay another night and he said they don't do that there. That was all. I called Choice Hotels 877 number and explained what happened, hoping that they could assist me with getting another reservation (not my money back). She was very nice and said she understands how things come up and that she'd call the hotel directly to help me. After being on hold, she returned to tell me that the hotel refused to help me out and that they have chosen to follow their rules and will not accommodate an alternative. She transferred me to Customer Relations, who explained to me how the company operates (see below). Greta, the woman in Customer Relations, was very apologetic on the behalf of MainStay Suites and sounded noticeably uncomfortable about how this was handled. She added 1,000 choice privileges points to my account as an apology since she said there was no way for her to cancel the reservation (she tried).

I have stayed at MANY Choice Hotels properties. I've never had a problem. We are good customers with season passes to Hersheypark. We opted to give MainStay Suites a try over our usual Comfort Inn at the Park or Econo Lodge (it's pet-friendly). It turns out that each hotel is franchised and therefore Choice Hotels cannot interfere with the owner's decision at each property. I had no idea this was the case. It is something for all to consider when selecting a hotel, as this sort of arrangement leaves you with little assistance should you have a last-minute situation arise as I have.

There are MANY hotels in the Hershey area, please consider all options carefully before choosing this one. If this is how my situation was handled on the phone in under 30 seconds, I can only imagine how anything that arises during your stay is handled.

GMPA547, Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment about your stay at the MainStay Suites Grantville/Hershey.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. We do have policies and guidelines that we must follow for being a Choice Property and one of those is the cancellation. I do see that you were able to make it for that stay and that you have another reservation to return later on this month and I hope we will be able to meet all of your needs.
Coteau-du-Lac, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and two small children. I found that the rooms were a decent size and very clean. We loved having a full kitchen in our room and the kids thought that the activity room and pool were amazing! They had a lot of fun playing mini-putt and sliding down the waterslide. We also loved the free-popcorn offered in the lobby each evening! The staff that we encountered were all friendly.

I did find it a bit odd that I had to sign a waiver upon checking-in that listed a bunch of somewhat strict rules - for example, you are not allowed to bring breakfast food from the continental breakfast area to your room...didn't like this as my children don't normally sit quietly at a table and normally I like to bring breakfast back to our room where they aren't going to disrupt others. Aside from that, our stay was enjoyable. It was close enough to all the area attractions (although you definitely need a car to get around). I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone travelling in this area!

Room Tip: Head to the grocery store - these rooms have a fully-functional kitchen so you can save on eating ou...
GMPA547, Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
We here at the MainStay Suites Grantville/Hershey would like to thank you for taking the time to complete an online comment regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. Being that there are so many families that stay here during the summer months we do have a noise policy to ensure all of our guests have an enjoyable stay. Again thanks and we hope to see you again soon!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived the check in line was long. That was no big deal. The guy who checked us in had a very blah attitude. He could careless about what he was saying. He talked so fast and just rambled information such as the wifi password, check out time and breakfast times. I asked him to repeat things two times to be able to understand him. After we checked in we went outside to get our things and there was the guy, who just checked us in, smoking a cigarette right in front of the hotel. That's not very professional.
Our room was small for five people. It would of been fine if the the pull out couch didn't hit the tv stand or if the desk chairs fit under the table. It was very tight. To much furniture for that size room.
The tv in the room did not work.
The rug looked like it was cleaned in a while.
The bedding was faded.
The bathroom was clean as was the little closet area.
The kitchen area was okay. The floor was dirty. The fridge was nice. We are a family of five and there was only four of every thing; plates, mugs and utensils.
All three of my children have asthma and animal allergies. After making my reservation online I called the front desk to make sure we did not have a room used for a guest with an animal in the past. I was told there are only two rooms for pets and we were not in one of them. My oldest child had a sneezing reaction to the room and her breathing wasn't right. At check out I asked the guy if it was possible someone with a pet stayed in our room? He insisted there was no way that could happen. I tried to explain that people could sneak pets in and he continued to insist that it wasn't possible. The reaction my daughter had was to a pet. I know my child and what sets her allergies off. At one point there has been a pet in room 222.
There was lots of noise above us during the night.
There was a garbage overflowing near the elevator. I have a picture of it.
Breakfast was crowded but it was good. There was a dining room open plus the lobby area. The dishes and cups are all styro foam. It is really sad this material is still in use. It is not biodegradable. We would rather pay more to stay at a hotel that does not use this material. For a few dollars more per room this hotel company could help the environment.
We will not be staying at this hotel again. We will not be recommending this hotel to anyone. We will share our experience with anyone.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to MainStay Suites? Share your experiences!