“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Grantville
Connecticut
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We originally checked into the nearby Comfort Suites for 2 nights and it was an awful experience. Luckily, i called this Mainstay Suites down the road and it was available on our 2nd night, so we checked out early from Comfort Suites. This hotel is virtually brand new, about 3 years old, and the staff was extremely friendly. The room was spacious and very clean, and very modern. The breakfast was great, and plenty of seating available. As an extra bonus, they have a free mini-golf course upstairs, which my 7 year old really enjoyed. If you're there to go to Hersheypark, like we were, this place should be your first option.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Park Ridge, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My sister and I brought our families (each consisting of 3 people) for a stay in August. We had two rooms between us and we stayed for one night. We are already planning on staying at the Mainstay Suites two nights next year because we really enjoyed our stay, which, of course, is all part of the vacation experience, I called a few times even before we arrived and everyone on the phone was very friendly and accommodating - a good sign for things to come. When we arrived, we immediately felt comfortable and welcomed. It really felt like a home away from home. The rooms were clean, spacious, well thought out and modern (especially the kitchen area, which had a large refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher). We both have sons, so we took full advantage of their heated indoor pool with the water slide, the indoor miniature golf course, the indoor basketball court and the arcade (NOTE: they have golf clubs/balls and basketballs there to sign out). The boys had a great time and even asked if we could live there. The gym is small, but efficient. We all enjoyed the complimentary breakfast, which had a nice variety of items to choose from. In terms of location, we only had to take one straight road and one right turn to get to Hershey Drive/Park (very easy and quick). We also didn't have to go far to get something good to eat for lunch/dinner for right next door (almost connected to their parking lot) there is a really good/reasonable Italian restaurant called Fabios. They will deliver to your room or you could walk over there (which took us about 2 minutes). The staff at the Mainstay was very nice and never made me feel like I was bothering them when I had a question or request. I did my homework when it came to picking out a place to stay in Hershey and it really paid off...I/we highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want the most quiet rooms, ask to be on the 3rd floor, which is away from the dining/pool are...
Middletown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

There were a few problems here and there. We were at the pool one night and one of the kids found throwup on the side of the pool, right away we alerted the front desk and they came in and threw a towel over the throwup, thats a nice way to clean up. They also give yo a few things to do around the hotel. They have the pool with the waterslide, the mini golf course, basketball hoop, and a business center. Also they were about 5 mile away from Hershey. We really only had to take one road to get to Hershey park. Overall I think this is an ok hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our family of seven stayed in two rooms at the MainStay Suites on the last day of our road trip, while on the way home. We had a great experience; the hotel is clean and well-kept, the rooms are spacious, and the staff at the front desk was welcoming and helpful. The rooms had comfortable beds and couches, with clean bedding. The bathrooms were fresh and clean and housekeeping delivered extra towels promptly when we requested them. The kitchen facilities were a big help to us, especially the stovetop and large refrigerator. The complimentary breakfast had plenty of food and a nice variety. And the best part was the recreational facility at the hotel, which all guests are free to use -- there's a nice pool with a terrific two-story water slide, and there's a room overlooking the pool with a basketball net and miniature golf course. (The front desk has basketballs and golf equipment for guests to borrow.)

Overall, our family ended our vacation with a bang by having lots of fun at this hotel. Highly recommend!

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Last year, my son and I stayed for one night while attending an event in Hershey (Aug. 2011). The suite was nice and clean. The beds were comfortable, and we enjoyed it with no complaints. So, my mother and I booked the same hotel for two nights (for the same reason: attending an event at Hershey Arena), and we had pretty much the same experience. The suite was clean and comfortable. The bed and pillows were soft (how I prefer). It was quiet for the sleeping hours. There are a kitchenette and small sitting area -- all the comforts of home while away. We had an issue with our a/c on the first night, but after informing the front desk, the room was cool when we returned later that afternoon, and it continued cooling the room afterwards. True, they do not make the beds, but this is an extended stay hotel (not a regular hotel). I don't make my own bed at home, so that was no problem for me. When I stay in hotels, I really don't want strangers in the room anyway. The price was quite reasonable (comparable to regular hotels and less than most Hershey hotels) and the location is good -- not near the interstate traffic noise and only 7 miles from the chaos of the Hershey Park and city areas. We didn't use the pool or entertainment areas, so I can't comment in that regard. The breakfast is what I would call a "continental plus" (your typical continental breakfast with waffles, boiled eggs, and bacon as the plus). It sufficed for one morning, but we went out the next. All in all, I had two good experiences with this hotel, and I will book here again next August for the same event in Hershey.

Room Tip: Because I knew that I would definitely not be changing my plans for this trip, I pre-paid the room f...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

My mother in law booked us rooms at this hotel so we could all go to Hershey Park together. At first, it looked good... nice entry, pool with a slide, miniature golf, basketball court, video games, internet, continental breakfast... seemed great! We stayed in Room 202.
The place is a little dingy... but sheets were clean. The matresses were terrible... like sleeping on rocks. Our AC was good during the day but at night, we had to put it down to 60 and the energy saver made it hard to sleep bc it would get warm before it would kick back on. Some kids upstairs were running on the third floor until midnight. Showers need new curtains and showerheads. Went to the pool, felt used like at a YMCA, a girl pulled some hair that got caught on her toe and told us it was better than last month when they came and found a tampon in the pool. I was done after that. The game room and miniature golf course was fine, but make sure you go downstairs to get clubs and basketball since they're not in the room itself. The continental breakfast was not out of this world or anything... just had Capn Crunch and the kids had waffles. Kevin, the night guy was very helpful and so was the dark haired guy during the day but the blonde was kind of a tool, couldn't be bothered.
All in all, the place looked more promising than it was able to deliver. Won't be coming back again.

• Stayed July 2012
Staten Island, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

A friend and I took our daughters for a two night trip. When we got to our room it was flooded between the bed and bathroom. They said there was nothing they could do until the next day and they couldnt offer us a room. Everytime someone had to use the bathroom they got soaked (needless to say no one was able to wear socks). We were extremely disappointed. We stayed August 2010.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel. One that cares about their guests and will do whatever to help.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to MainStay Suites? Share your experiences!