“Heritage country home experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Osceola Mill House Bed and Breakfast

You added Osceola Mill House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Osceola Mill House Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   313 Osceola Mill Road, Gordonville, PA 17529-9713   |
Special Offer
Stay 1, 2nd 50% Off*
Ranked #2 of 5 Gordonville B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Heritage country home experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We were looking for a heritage home experience that was exemplary of the surrounding county & we weren't disappointed. Ron & Pat were perfect hosts & we felt at home for our short stay. Perfect as a base while exploring Lancaster County, but you will need a car to get here. A lovely place to relax - quiet & peaceful, & while all modern amenities are available, don't expect super fast Internet if it is critical. Excellent breakfast!!
Informative hosts who have a wonderful empathy & relationship with their Amish neighbors.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Staying in the Amish country of Pennsylvania is the best way to slow down the hurry-up of life. Experiencing the joy of The Osceola Mill House B&B is the best way to do this.
Next to the word "host" in the English dictionary, should be the names of Patricia and Ronald, owners of this awesome retreat. From the moment we were met in the "gathering room, we felt at home. Their warmth and genuine desire to make our experience delightful never ended and still vibrates in our memory.
We chose the BLUE ROOM. It's a delightful room facing the small bridge in the front of the house. The private bathroom has a modern shower and another window to take in the lovely sights and sounds of the area. Although the sink is the smallest I have seen, somehow, it worked fine! Mornings, we awoke to the sounds of the clip, clop of many horse and carriages taking Amish people back and forth.
We chose not to go with the maddening crowds in the nearby towns. Instead, we took routes to see covered bridges, Amish at work, kids riding their scooters in bare feet and the rolling farms of Amish people. There's a peacefulness in doing this that can't be denied.
At the suggestion of Ron, we enjoyed an authentic dinner in an actual Amish couple's nearby home. Mo and Sadie were the perfect way to enjoy a unique experience. Although not allowed to have electricity, they have fans and a refrigerator powered by propane. Mo was always asking if we were comfortable. When we were, he would ask Sadie to turn the fans down!SAdie made a home cooked meal of grain-fed beef, fresh vegetables from her garden, home cooked bread and home canned beets. Dessert was brownies with her own canned peaches and ice-cream. The "donation" was suggested at $15.00 to $20.00 per person and well worth it. Sadie entertained us playing her harmonica and sang a song of praise before the meal. She also took us on a tour of her modest home, her garden and sewing room where I purchased one of her lovely pillow shams. We would never have known about this had Ron not suggested we go!
The breakfasts at Osceola Mill House were delicious: freshly made egg casserole with fresh blueberries with yogurt, home made scones and bacon. The first morning, we dined with a family of 5 from Norway. The next day, we were the only guests and enjoyed waffles while chatting with Ron.
I took a tour of the whole house. Every room is awesome. The next time, we will stay in The Fireside Room on the third floor.
I would recommend this B&B as one of the nicest we have been to.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask the hosts about enjoying a meal with an Amish family!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

A beautiful, luxurious home away from home! We added a night to our stay, we liked it so much. The proprietors are two of the loveliest and most interesting people with great advice on sightseeing, shopping, dining, etc. and even better stories! And the breakfasts must be eaten to be believed. From baked apple french toast to maple baked eggs, not to mention dessert, we couldn't have asked for anything better! We look forward to returning soon!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Warwick, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

Great place for a relaxing weekend. I went one random weekend with my husband in September 2010, and here I am over a year later reviewing because I remember it so well. The hosts, Ron and Pat, were great. We happened to be there on a weekend when there we not many people staying and the one morning when it was just the two of us we had a special breakfast that they can only serve a very few people. I don't remember what they called it, but I do remember it was amazingly good!

There are not many other houses around, and it was very calming to sit in our room and listen to the buggys going by in the morning. I highly recommend this B&B.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

My fiancee, future in-laws, and I all stayed at this B&B for one night during Labor Day weekend. We made the plans pretty last minute (3-4 days), so we didn't have the time to energy to do as much researching as we usually do, and so we weren't expecting much out of the accommodations. Our expectations were beyond exceeded when we arrived at the B&B.

We had already spent the first half of the day exploring Lancaster County, and of course, stumbled upon the more touristy and contrived parts of the area. When our GPS took us to Osceola Mill, we were so pleased to finally have seen something more "real" - an old historic stone house on a winding side road with lots of Amish farms. It was so tranquil and quiet.

Then we pulled into the driveway and were greeted by a handful of beautiful kittens! They were so friendly, and I really wanted to take one home (and you can if you want to). Inside, the house was even more beautiful, with the earthy and quaint gathering room and living room, filled with old relics of Ron and Pat (the innkeepers) as well as books about the Amish and Mennonites. They were both so incredibly friendly and resourceful and genuinely care about making the most out of your stay in Lancaster County.

My fiancee and I stayed in the Green Room, while the in-laws stayed in the Corn Crib. We shared a bathroom which was out in the hall, and the set up worked great for us. Both rooms were incredibly clean, thoughtfully decorated, and had the most gorgeous quilt covers (which you can buy if you really love!). The rooms I think are the only ones without their own bathrooms, but for our situation, ended up being great value. The B&B was full when we stayed, so we didn't see any of the other rooms, but I'm sure they are just as gorgeous (if not even more so) than the ones we stayed in.

The next day, the breakfast was like a big family table. We were served a vegetable egg bake, homemade scones, and fresh peaches. For dessert, there was also a delicious pumpkin roll from a local Amish bakery. We were stuffed and well fueled for the round of golf we played right after!

It was almost sad to leave the B&B, because even though it was only one night, we felt that we had made great friends with Ron & Pat, who just might be the cutest couple on the planet as well as two of the nicest people we have ever met. I would highly recommend this B&B as the top place to stay in Amish Country...you won't regret it, and it will make your stay extra special.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at Osceola Mill for a quick weekend away from the city. The hosts were exceptionally warm and hospitable, and the breakfast was filling and delicious (they also provided a third dessert course, which was a pleasant surprise). Ron and Pat had a lot of great stories, and had great advice for what to do/see. We stayed in the Fireside room, and really enjoyed it. The room was clean, and had it's own industrial strength air conditioner that kept it nice and cool. If you're planning on staying during the winter time, there's a beautiful fireplace in the room. And, a really fantastic claw foot bathtub (unique to our room I think) in the bathroom. We didn't use the TV once, but there is one in the room.

One thing that really set this B and B apart from others we saw around Lancaster was the location. It's really far removed from the towns and tourist traps, and you're surrounded by pristine farmland. The whole time we were there, we could probably count the number of cars that I noticed going by on two hands; Amish buggies were much more frequent travelers... We often heard them clip-clopping by from our room. It was a great opportunity to enjoy the sights and sounds of the country, especially at night: there was almost zero light pollution: no street lights, and all the houses surrounding the property for many blocks are Amish and produce minimal artificial light. We did see some fabulous fireflies at night too!

Our hosts arranged for us to have dinner with a local Amish dairy farming family at their home. A few other couples from other B and B's arrived as well: they all had to drive, we only had to walk a few blocks to get to her farm house. It was an unforgettable experience. We ate one of the most amazing dinners I've ever had and learned first hand about Amish life. I bought a cookbook from our hostess containing all of her family recipes! After dinner, the girls of the family sang for us in three-part harmony. It was very moving and beautiful!

In short, the reason I picked this place was because on google maps satellite view, it looked the farthest out in the farmland and removed from the city . . . it did not disappoint. My husband and I had a great time just walking from the property through the Amish farming neighborhoods, seeing the farm animals and folks going about their evening.

There are also a number of kittens that populate the area that were abandoned by others and quasi-adopted (although they are not allowed in the house itself, so no need to worry about allergens). One or two would often come jump on our laps on the outside porch seat; the hosts will allow you to take one home if you want (they get them fixed the Humane Society), and you'll be sorely tempted if you like kittens (and who doesn't?).

I would recommend this to B and B to anyone. I guess if you wanted to be close to the city lights it might not be the place for you, but then I don't know why you'd vacation in Lancaster County anyway. We'll definitely be back someday.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

I stayed for two relaxing nights, despite weeklong rain. Ron & Pat were perfect hosts. The breakfasts were a welcome treat, including yogurt and home canned preserves. I was looking for Amish leather shops for my business, and Ron was most helpful in finding them, as well as dinner. When my Jeep's engine light came on, he recommended a dealer to go to. All in all a pleasant stay. My only regret is that I didn't go on a weekend. If I had, Ron could have arranged dinner at an Amish home. I'd gladly stay there again.
Karen Boston, MA

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to Osceola Mill House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!