“Worst Restaurant in Years” 1 of 5 stars

610-459-2400
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Terrain at Styer's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 57 Restaurants in Glen Mills
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Rt. 322
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Worst Restaurant in Years”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was excited to try this restaurant. It is lovely inside, but that is where it ends. The $28 entree I had (trout) tasted like styrofoam. It was over a tiny bit of unseasoned greens and the carrot puree in the description was a little smear on the side. The red cabbage side was hard and I did not even attempt it, it was so unappetizing. There was no starch . My husband's pork was tiny, also, similarly priced and tough. It is a good thing that the bread was good, because we were all hungry. A cup of coffee was $4.00 and no one offered a refill. Undaunted ( and still hungry) we ordered three very expensive desserts for the four of us. The Apple crisp was OK, but not crisp. The burbon bread pudding was good, but I could not taste burbon. The chocolate peanut butter pudding was said to be " warm", but it was cold. I will say that they adjusted the bill , but it could not have been enough. It is a noble idea, but this was the worst restaurant I have been to in many a year, and we travel all over the world. Really bad.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Several visits and this place continues to rock it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I've been here several times over the past few years and this place just continues to wow me. Last evenings birthday dinner was fantastic from the first sip of our BYOB Pinot Gris, through our amazingly creative Artisans Cheese Plate to our amazing Bourbon Bread Pudding and Crisp Apple Cobbler at the end. Our dinner entrees were fresh Bass over potatoes and romesco for my partner and Sirloin with roasted brussels sprouts and a demi glace for me. Outstanding does not even come close to describing these meals.
The menu always changes and always includes fresh ingredients served in the most creative ways. Service was STELLAR from Chris and all the staff were attentive without being intrusive. The atmosphere is so simply understated and romantic especially as the sun goes does.
I must highly recommend Terrain at Styers once again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Detroit, Michigan
“Dinner in the garden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

After a day touring Winterthur and Longwood Gardens, we were treated to a birthday dinner in the charming garden store/restaurant. The restaurant is a lovely combination of locally-sourced delicious food and charming garden-boutique ambiance. It is bring-your-own-bottle(s), so come prepared if you want wine with your meal. Make sure you reserve time to browse the store either before or after you eat!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
“Farm to Table Rustic Charm and Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Who would think that dining in a greenhouse could be so wonderful. You have to walk through the gift shop at the nursery to get to the small restaurant at the back. It is so charming with lots of fresh greenery, a stone wall, and casual tables. Happily the tables are far enough apart that you don't feel crammed in like so many restaurants do. This place is just so charming and for a couple wanting a romantic evening out it would definitely fit the bill. There aren't many places that are quiet in the Brandywine Valley any more. Water is served in mason jars. Delicious hot bread is brought baked in a clay pot. The menu varies and is small because everything really is fresh and they source as much locally as possible. My husband had the Berkshire pork tenderloin with goat cheese gnocchi and pronounced it excellent. One word of warning; it came medium rare. While my husband loved it had I ordered it I would have sent it back to be cooked more because I'm of the generation where pork was supposed to be cooked well done. We learned from our waiter that Berkshire is a type of pig, not the area in Massachussetts. I started with the mushroom truffle soup (excellent) and had the artisinal cheese plate. It came with about four different types of cheese, bread, and several types of pickles and preserves. This was just enough for me as a meal but don't think it is of a size to be shared, even if you are sharing an appetizer. Our friend had the scallops and said they were fabulous.

Service by Chris was friendly and attentive without being intrusive. This is a BYO wine so although the entrees are a bit on the high side you'll save by not ordering over priced wines.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thornton, Pennsylvania
“The FOOD is very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

If you can take sitting in uncomfortable wooded seats in a somewhat drafty building, the food is GREAT. They serve fresh healthy eclectic food. You can smell the fresh herbs on you plate before it arrives at your table. My husband is not a fan of this restaurant only because he cannot take the uncomfortable seating, so take out may be the way we go in the future.

Visited December 2012