“A Magical Experience” 5 of 5 stars

610-459-2400
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Terrain at Styer's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 57 Restaurants in Glen Mills
Cross street: Rt. 322
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A Magical Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Terrain @ Styers is a magical place. Every single detail has a creative touch, its full of delight, and is my favorite spot in the world (not exaggerating). The Garden Cafe's atmosphere is tranquil and such an enjoyable experience that I tell everyone new to the area to go to as soon as they possibly can. The food is delectable, the wait-staff friendly, and everything on the menu is locally grown. The place just makes my heart happy.

• Visited November 2012

Bulverde, Texas
“ALWAYS AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Of course we went to Terrain at Styler's Cafe while visiting friends in Media! Where else can you sit inside a marvelous greenhouse and eat magnificant culinary delights while being waited on by friendly and professional staff! From the walk through the wonderful shopping area that is perfection in merchandising and design to sitting amongst the beautiful plants in the greenhouse awaiting your clay pot of fresh baked bread this place is such an experience. I had the Pumpkin Caramel Latte and it was so very marvelous that I had another. The Mushroom Skillet is so incredible............it is truly a culinary masterpiece. Our server was so very gracious and kind. We started with the Cream of Mushroom Soup and found it to be over the top incredible. I was so enjoying my second Latte that I did not partake in the Bread Pudding for dessert, but did note that it looked most wonderful.

• Visited November 2012
Greenville, Delaware
“Really special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

After urging from friends to "try it, it's really special", my husband and I had lunch at Styer's yesterday. We absolutely loved it! Rustic fall decor and lush green plants fill the barn-like space. High glass ceiling and walls give an open-air (but still cozy) ambiance. Food was superb. We had a scallop and quinoa dish, harvest salad, mushroom soup. All outstanding including hot, fresh baked bread and special flavor-of-the-day coffee. Only downside - it's pricy. Can't wait to go back and I most definitely recommend it. Five stars all the way!

• Visited October 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Saved By The Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My girlfriend wanted me to see Styer's because we are both such fans of Anthropologie. (As a marketing professional, I have always been impressed with their merchandising and in-store design.) Since Terrain a spin-off, she thought it would be fun. The restaurant--indeed the entire facility--is very cool and well done. It was a bit chilly inside, but I didn't mind that and my lady had a sweater.

The server was exceptionally attentive although we did struggle a bit with a minor language barrier--English was not her first language. We both had soup and both were ok. For dinner, my girlfriend ordered the organic chicken; I opted for the Braised Beef Ribs. Her dinner was pretty good, hence the average rating, above. Mine however--no delicate way to put this--sucked.

I used to be in the restaurant business, cook as a passionate hobby, but do not consider myself a "foodie" to the extent of "snobbish superiority" regarding all things edible. I do however love great food, well-presented, but not pretentious. My dinner tonight might have been considered well presented but was undoubtedly pretentious and was not great, nor even good, for that matter.

The plate--which was actually a piece of wood, kind of cool, but I'm not sure how they wash them--came out with two large "angostinos" aka shrimp, who were lying on the plate, heads intact, dead and with lifeless black eyes staring up at me. Some people like that sort of thing--I don't.

The short ribs were indeed short, about 1/4 of the size that I expect when I order this dish at a restaurant, which is frequently. They were served on top of a bare mouthful of interesting but thin potato substance--too thin for mashed, not entirely without flavor, but again, barely a mouthful. There was also a ramekin of "creamed kale" which I did not like from the first taste and what my girlfriend--who is very forgiving of these kinds of things--described as a "science experiment gone bad." The kale item was cloyingly sweet with an aroma best described as a woman's perfume, and not a very good one at that.

When the dish was served I immediately grabbed the closest bus boy and asked him to please return the shrimp the kitchen and bring them back "cleaned." (For the record, I'm a former Marine, not a squeamish person in the least, but I simply don't wish to see dead shrimp on my plate. It's weird, at least as far as I'm concerned.)

The shrimp came back beheaded, but still in the shell. The short ribs were undeniably tender, but largely devoid of flavor. The shrimp were also flavorless, after I removed the tiny tails from the shell myself.

When asked how our dinner was, my girlfriend spoke up before I could and told them it wasn't good. Management responded with a free dessert, tea and even presented her with a gift bag of assorted artisan teas. In short, the team cared about our experience and tried to save what otherwise would have been a disastrous dinner.

The final straw is that my dinner was the most expensive thing on the menu--$39 for about 4 oz of rib meat, a teaspoon full of potatoes, a ramekin of mystery kale, and two dead shrimp. In my opinion it would have been overpriced at $25, but $39 is tantamount to highway robbery.

Like I said, the manager and to a lesser extent the server saved the night. We've decided to give them another try on another night to see if there's improvement. Like I said, the place is very unique and the decor is intriguing. As a final FYI, it is a BYOB--we knew that so we brought wine, but several diners close to our table were caught off guard by that fact.

Would I recommend it to a friend? Perhaps. Just don't order the short ribs.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Suburban Philadelphia
“Great ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

It's like being in this lovely oasis. The menu while interesting was not that we'll executed. Service is iffy and although the surrounding are lovely, you might have better luck getting your man to eat at a Tea Room than here again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere