“Fabulous Food!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Mars, Pennsylvania
“Fabulous Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Let me preempt this review by saying that I really don't like the atmosphere in this restaurant. I went for a pumpkin beer tasting/dinner pairing dinner last fall and then again this past weekend to celebrate our anniversary. The wallpaper has to go and turn the lighting down! Otherwise, I highly recommend this place. We ate inside, but in the back room with the view out onto the outdoor seating area, so it was much better than the front room. The outdoor seating looks lovely, but it was raining when we were there. From there . . . the food and service were impeccable! I have the herb mahi mahi along with the strawberry spinach salad (both delicious) and my hubby had the wilted romaine salad and lamb chops (he said they were both good! Our waitress, Shannon, was on the move the entire time we were there, but NEVER left us hanging. I highly recommend this restaurant!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Well, at least they are consistent...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We have been here frequently, as we live close by and the food is above average, but their service is slooooow and the waitstaff always acts as though it is their first day on the job.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent food and great ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

There is a wide and varied menu plus an additional menu of chef specialties and changes frequently. Prices are also varied. You leave there feeling full, happy, and pampered.

Visited April 2012
“A superb dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We visited The Pines Tavern for the first time last night and had once of the best meals ever. The Bloody Mary cocktail that I had that was made with bacon-flavored vodka and had bleu-cheese stuffed jumbo olives was divine. We both had the baked jumbo lump crab cakes over smoked gouda grits as an entree. The crap cakes were the best I've ever had - - a generous amount of sweet succulent crab meat -- no fillers. The smoked gouda grits, cajun portabella mushrooms, and smoked bacon ya-ya sauce were perfect accompaniments (caution here for those who don't like a little spiciness). The atmosphere was lovely - - understated elegance. Our waitress was very friendly but was seemingly busy with other tables because she was a little slow in delivering, at times. The hostess seemed disjointed and not highly accommodating or friendly, but this didn't bother us very much. Overall, we had a lovely dining experience and will definitely go back.

• Visited May 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best restaurant in pittsburgh area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012 via mobile

Im sure this is out of the way for many but is worth the trip. Between the specials and the regular menu (which does change from time to time) I find myself wishing I could have at least 10 different things every time I step in the door. The portion sizes are big so usually next days lunch or dinner comes home with me! Hesitated to write this because I don't want them to get too busy!