“Only for the ice cream” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 17 Restaurants in Gap
Cuisines: American, Hamburgers, Ice Cream
Chicago, Illinois
“Only for the ice cream”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Their food is OK for a chain restaurant. I prefer family restaurants.

Their ice cream is good, and probably the best in the area. (It is a small area...)

Visited July 2012

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Bad Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stopped for lunch today while traveling home from Lancaster. From the time we sat down until we left, 50 minutes. The girl that gave us our seats, took our drink order; a cup of coffee and a Sprite. Five minutes later, the waitress that had our table brought the beverages without a straw and without creamer. The coffee in the cup was only warm at best and after waiting another 5 minutes without seeing our waitress, I drank the black coffee and poured another from the thermal pot and that too was only warm. My wife started drinking her Sprite without the straw. We waited another 10 minutes and finally asked a very nice waiter if he could bring us a straw and some creamer since our waitress apparently forgot about us. He came back very quickly with a bowl of creamer and a straw. 5 minutes later our waitress showed up with 2 straws in her hand and was surprised when I told her that we asked someone else to bring us creamer and a straw. She asked if we needed anything else and we said we just want our food! Another 10 minutes later, she showed up with our food which was obviously sitting somewhere for the last 10 to 15 minutes since the sandwiches and the fries were only warm. After finishing our meal, she asked if we wanted and dessert, we said, "No, we only want our check". When it came, we left her a 10% tip (And I don't feel she deserved that much) and headed to the register to pay. We will never visit Friendly's again if this is the way they treat there customers.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Northeast
“Fine for ice cream and such, but . . .”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My spouse and I were overruled the other evening by the majority in our group in our "phone planning." They wanted to go to Friendly's; we didn't. I could see going there for ice cream, but I just never care that much for their meals, and we were going out for a light supper.

I ordered the half turkey club sandwich and small salad that went with it. That tasted fine. My spouse got the Reuben Melt and ate very little of it, as it was rather dry and blah. (That meal was a waste of money, for sure.) It re-inforced to us why we do not eat out at Friendly's.

The service was good. No complaints there. Our waiter was friendly (no pun intended) and engaged in a little chat-chat with us as we placed our orders and then as he delidered them.

Friendly's is a restaurant chain, and so I would expect that the food thing is nothing over which the local franchise has control. So, our disappointment is not this particular restaurant's fault. They are responsible for the service, and that was not at all a problem.

Do I like the meals at Friendly's? Still a NO. Do I like the ice cream? Still a YES.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, South Carolina
“OK restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I had the filet, medium well. Sadly it was mostly well. He had the NY strip. Was suppose to be 20 oz. I know cooking shrinks it but it was lucky to be 12 oz. Salad was good. Bill was $35.30. Waitress looked at the $50.00 bill I gave her and she asked if I wanted change! What a $15.00 tip for a &35,00 meal!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere