“Great Value With Friendly And Helpful Staff -- Pet Friendly Too!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Frackville
Hartford, Connecticut
“Great Value With Friendly And Helpful Staff -- Pet Friendly Too!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I had already booked my stay when I saw these reviews, and I was nervous. I was pleasantly surprised and relieved when I open the door to my room. The hotel is located off the main road/Route 61, at first glance it looks like a long driveway to the hotel but it is a street with one street that crosses it. I only mention this because even though the cross street has stop signs there is a tendency to speed down the road toward the hotel because you think it's a driveway, not expecting cross traffic. The location is quiet but close to gas stations, local and chain restaurants (like Subway), and Rite Aid. Check in took a little longer than expected, but the person was new and the conversation was pleasant so I didn't mind. The room was a little smaller than I expected, but still a good size. It had two full beds, a table and two chairs, a flat screen, microwave, refrigerator, safe, nightstand, and four drawers under the t.v. for your clothes. This was more than I expected, I have stayed at more expensive hotels with less amenities in the room. The hotel also provides breakfast, another thing I didn't get at the more expensive hotel. They provided muffins, bagels, coffee, tea, orange, and apple juice. Every time I went into the office for anything--travel brochures, ice, breakfast--the people were always very friendly and helpful, always starting up a conversation. There is no hiding that the hotel is older, I could tell that by the bed spreads and wall paper border. The room was generally in good repair/condition. There was some dust on the air conditioner/heating unit and on the light fixture/vent in the bathroom, and the shower rod was loose--but I experienced nothing that was in any of the other reviews. The room was clean, neat, and had no funny smells or bed bugs. My bed was a little uncomfortable, but I haven't found a hotel bed that wasn't. There is an awkward step up and into the tub, which can make the shower slight claustrophobic because your so close to the ceiling. The concrete walkway in places needed repair but it was clean and free of litter, as was the parking lot. Everything considered I would stay here again, a little dust didn't ruin my stay. The staff is friendly--to both people and animals, the room was comfortable and had nice amenities, and the location was great. It is hard to find all this, and pet friendly, for this value. I wouldn't pass this hidden gem up!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bethesda, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed here overnight on a trip northwards: arrived about 9pm and left about 8am. The place is OK for this kind of stay, but no more. The room wasn't particularly clean or comfortable, and smelled a little (like someone had smoked in the non-smoking room). The Indian guy behind the front desk was friendly enough, though, and brightened up into animated conversation when we told him we are planning a trip to India. The "breakfast buffet" consists of some pre-packaged pastries, a few bagels, jam, and a toaster -- plus coffee and orange juice. Oh, and the WiFi worked well.

Room Tip: No elevator, so if you have heavy bags, try the ground floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
antigonish
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

My wife and myself stayed a night there nov.2010.We thought it was good and the desk clerk mentioned that if we eat at a the near by restaurant which i think was called the Dutch kitchen and show them our key number we would get a 10-15% discount on the meal.5The whole experience was good and we would go there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Ended up here only because we had no reservation and needed a pet-friendly hotel at midnight. We were horrified at the general condition of the room - hairs on sheets in made bed, blood stains on other sheets, sagging and stained ceiling tiles, roll-away cot mattress old and stained, etc. At the same time, it was truly a non-smoking room, and our neighboring guests were quiet so we stayed.

Family member who slept ( or didn't sleep as it turned out due to broken spring in cot) on roll-away cot woke with typical pattern of bites on stomach; other family member woke with a few possible bites.

Despite fact that we did not absolutely verify presence of bed bugs, would steer clear. The room was definitely not worth the risk and we found citation on bed bug reporting website for this very motel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Frackville hotels

Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

My girlfriend and I were looking for a clean cheap place to stay in Frackville so we could see where her grandma grew up. First checked out another nearby but it didnt pass the girlfriend test so we decided on the Econolodge motel. She agreed to pay me the $9 difference :-). Paid ~$55 for room 217 for the night w AAA discount. Though we checked in late, the guy behind the desk was nice and gave us directions around town to a local convenience store and to her grandma's old house for the next day. It's a motel--not the Marriot. The place is a bit on the older side. Room was clean. The AC was running when we got in so it was cool and didn't smell stale or bad. Had cable and free WiFi. Towels and linens were clean. Had hairdryer and small fridge. No-frills budget travel motel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

It had all the shortcomings of a budge hotel. We had to shlep our bags up a metal staircase and along an outdoor corridor, the bathroom was tiny, there was no real lobby, and breakfast consisted of stale packaged donuts. The front desk clerk was grumpy and had an attidtude. That said, everything else was great. The room was clean, and had only a slight smell of Indian spices. The beds seemed to be new and were comfortable, the linnel was clean a crisp, the towels were fluffy and soft. WE were enroute to Florida, and just wanted a clean, quiet and inexpensive place to sleep. Although there are cheaper hotels in the area, given the complaints that others have had, this place was a great deal, and we would stay there again.,

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Deer Park
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

We had no hotel reservations when we arrived in Frackville. We found the Econolodge on our Garmin. Outside looked older but clean and had all these award banners hanging outside.
As soon as we entered the small office we knew we might have a problem. There was no air running so it was hot and had a horrible odor.
We asked to see the room first. At first blush it was okay but a walk-thru showed us the bathroom was so small that the bathtub was partially hidden by a wall. You had to look around the wall to see the end of the tub. Of course this wall was pretty grungy. The air conditioner was running and the ceiling above the A/C had dust balls hanging from it!
No thanks - we went elsewhere. It had a AAA Platinum Award in the office but we would give it a "Lead" Rating.

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!