“Mouse in my room” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia / Fort Washington

You added Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia / Fort Washington to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia / Fort Washington
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   530 Pennsylvania Avenue, Fort Washington, PA 19034 (Formerly Cherry Tree Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Holiday Shopping Package
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fort Washington
Fort Washington, United States
“Mouse in my room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I was on the 5th floor and while working at the desk just after 9pm, a mouse came running out of the bathroom towards the beds. The front desk staff helped me find a room at another Hilton and were very responsive and apologetic. However, I was really surprised, as an HHonors member, to not receive a personal call from the management team of this property. Perhaps they don't care or are too busy.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Bret J, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia / Fort Washington, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize that I was unavailable this past week. While having a hotel next to a woodland area is beautiful, at times we do receive some uninvited guests. Luckily for us Hilton has a strong pest control program that we are part of. We have had a team of experts at our hotel this week ensuring that no other guests share your experience. Once again I apologize for my limited availability last week and for the problem you experienced. I am thankful we were quick and responsive to your needs and able to resolve your issue quickly.

Thank you for your understanding and caring enough to share your concerns with me,
Bret

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
West Chester, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I made a reservation for a business visitor for 1/21/14. I called and cancelled the reservation on 1/20/14 a whole day prior to what the cancellation policy states. There was a major snow storm coming and our out-of-town visitor cancelled her flight. Our corporate card was charged for the reservation. No cancellation number was given to me at the time of cancellation. In fact. I was told the reservation number would serve as the cancellation number. I called the hotel and was told that without the cancellation number I could not get a credit. That same visitor is coming again in a couple of weeks and I assumed for the sake of customer service I would be offered an in-house credit for the hotel's error. I was willing to work with the hotel. They are not willing to work with their customers. I travel extensively between NYC and Washington, DC and have stayed in many Hilton Garden Inns. From the time I began staying in Hilton Garden Inns, the service and quality has steadily declined, so the response I received did not surprise me. My company will no longer use any Hilton Garden Inns going forward for our meetings or guests. They have lost a good customer over refusing to refunding one night of lodging - not a good business practice. Obviously customer service is not their top priority.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Bret J, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia / Fort Washington, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you. I am glad we were able to connect and for allowing me to make things right. I appreciate your time and understanding and hopefully if your travels bring you to Fort Washington we will be able to meet face to face.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stay here three of four times a year when we visit the Fort Washington area to visit family. The hotel location is convenient. We have always found it clean. Beds are comfortable,. The desk staff goes out of their way to insure our needs are met. We love to have the pool and hot tub available, in room refrigerator so we can breakfast in our room, and the convenience of guest internet,. .

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Bret J, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia / Fort Washington, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and for your business.

Staines, Middlesex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently on business and it had some great points which I hadn’t anticipated. It clearly knows its market, but certainly plays to strengths it has on offer. It doesn’t try to be something it isn’t.

The room was clean, spacious and comfy. It has a fridge which was useful, a microwave and good coffee machine.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. It had a great little gym and pool, business centre, bar, lounge and restaurant areas. All informal and really nice.

In the morning it had coffee available in the lobby to take out and on returning from the office I noticed cookies for collection on the way in – nice touch!

The food was good and the beers and wines were nice. I must admit, this hotel offered me more than I had expected. For the price, I expected the equivalent of a UK Travelodge – comfy and clean, but basic. I didn’t find this was the case at all.

Breakfast selection was nice with cereals, bagels, porridge (oatmeal) and hot breakfasts to order. There was no wifi limit for appliances –which is becoming increasingly popular in hotels and is not useful when travelling on business, so this was great! They also offer same day dry cleaning which was really helpful.

The downsides I found where that the heater was awful and if you were cold at night could not turn it on – it was so loud! Also, the microwave meals in the pantry were not great. I know they will never be perfect, but there has to be better microwave meals on offer than that. I couldn’t bring myself to eat them.

For the price, a great hotel that I would definitely return to.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Bret J, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia / Fort Washington, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for caring enough to write a review. I am pleased you enjoyed the staff, service and amenities of the hotel. I apologize that your heater was not functioning properly. Each in room has an individual heater/Air conditioner and we will be receiving a large shipment of new units in early March, that will replace the last of our outdated models. I think you are absolutely right about the microwavable dinners we offer in the gift shop. We have plenty of space in the freezer and based on your recommendation we are going to expand our offerings. I appreciate your business and hope you stay with us again in the future.
La Palma, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I stayed here during a cold and snowy evening while on a business trip. Upon entering you can see it is your typical Hilton Garden Inn experience. Check-in was fast and efficient and I was immediately offered my two complementary water bottles for being a HHonors Diamond member. Everything in the room was clean and up to Hilton standards. Anyone who has stayed in a Garden Inn before pretty much knows exactly what to expect, and this property did not disappoint.

One negative about this hotel is it's not near much of anything. If it's a cold night (as it was when I stayed) and you don't have a car you're pretty much stuck with eating at the hotel restaurant or ordering delivery. The hotel restaurant looked adequate but definitely not gourmet cuisine by any means. Fortunately I was traveling with a colleague who had a car so it wasn't an issue with me, but something to keep in mind if you prefer a little nicer dining experience.

One other small thing I will point out is with the heat running in the room (temperatures were around zero and a little below that night), it was rather dry in there. As soon as I laid down on the bed I felt my hair standing on end and I could see the static electricity arcing between the sheet and comforter all night long. On top of that I woke up with a nose bleed and a very sore throat from the dryness. It isn't uncommon for hotel rooms to be dry, but this one could certainly use a humidifier in its heating system! I ended up buying a small travel humidifier and setting it up in my room for the second night and it helped tremendously.

Breakfast isn't free unless you're at least HHonors Gold, but there is plenty to choose from. As with all Garden Inns there is a small selection of cold goods (fruit, pastries, and yogurt) and a selection of cooked to order items such as pancakes and french toast. Once again, nothing spectacular but perfectly adequate if you don't want to go looking for a place to eat outside.

I would stay here again because it's convenient for where I do business when I travel to the area. It is nothing exceptional but it delivers everything you would expect from a mid-range Hilton property.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am excited to share that we have purchased a shuttle for the hotel, which is due to arrive in the next few weeks. The humidifiers are a great idea. Thank you for caring enough to share and help us get better.
Guttenberg, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I have been staying at this hotel since February 2011.
From that time, the manager Katie C. and her staff were absolutely wonderful, the place was kept immaculate and the pool area was kept clean.

Forward to February 22, 2014.
Desk staff was rude. Didn't welcome me as a Hilton Honors member. Only asked for my ID and credit card. I explained I have been a guest for many years, and my profile reflects many things that make our stay comfortable. I had informed her I messaged the AGM, Bryan a couple weeks back. (By the way, the AGM never replied to my email.) She said that they were not only under new management in-house, but new corporate management, so anything that has occurred in the past no longer exists.
I was in room 426 this time (every other time, I've been put on the 6th floor).
The room seemed ok until:
Light over vanity closest to door wasn't working, then it was working, then it wasn't working.
The seal around the base of the toilet had become crusted with mold and mildew and was now leaking onto the floor.
The shower head was covered in gunk.
There was a long hair attached to the towel rack in the shower.
The towels were all worn and stringy (not to mention, they only put 2 bath towels).

Morning of February 23, 2014.
You know when you get up, you go to the bathroom and you always notice the final bill by the door? Well, nothing there this morning.
Went downstairs and inquired about my bill.
Was informed that they no longer put bills under the door, because they want to save paper. So how do you know what your bill is? You have to go down and ask for a bill. When you do, they ask if you want it printed out or emailed to you.
Now, as we all know, hotels are good at putting extra charges on bills, and any expert will tell you to check the bill before you leave a hotel.
What if there's a long line at the front desk and you have to catch a plane? Do you just not get a bill and expect it to be correct when you look at it later?
Shouldn't the desk ask you when you check-in how you want your bill? Maybe you want the piece of paper or you want to check your email prior to leaving?
Apparently, that's how the new rules work.

Also, when I invoked the Satisfaction Guarantee (because there was hair, non-working lights and an oozing toilet), I was told they can write it up and then the manager will review the notes and decide if it's good enough. Huh? I'm not satisfied.
Finally, after writing in all these notes, today's rude front desk manager said I was good to go and that the charges were off. When I asked for a new bill, she said it would only have my name at the top. I said I wanted to see a $0 balance. Again, she said it would only print my name, and again I wanted it with the $0 balance. Upon giving it to me the way I wanted it, she informed me that the manager will review the notes and he has the right to recharge me if he wants.
I'm now going to wait to see that there are no charges to my credit card. If there are, having a printed bill with a $0 balance and a copy of the hotel's Satisfaction Guarantee, any credit card company will side with me.

Unfortunately, this has ended a great relationship with a great hotel at a great location.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Bret J, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia / Fort Washington, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize that your stay was not up to our usual standards. While I am disappointed to lose you as a guest in the future, I hope that you will accept my sincere apology. The 100% satisfaction guarantee is available to any guest at any time and I am pleased we were able to provide you with a full refund before you left property. I am excited to share with everyone that Hilton has in fact gone paperless and while change can be difficult we are pleased with the overwhelming positive response to this change. However we always have the ability to print an additional copy of the bill for any of our guests should the email copy not be enough. Again I am sorry we failed to live up to our promise, and while we cannot give you back the night you lost, at least we were able to refund your money.
Sayville and Manhattan, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

The staff at the Ft Washington Hilton Garden are the most friendly and personable of any hotels we have stayed at over the years. The accommodations are excellent. Location is extremely convenient with access to the PA Turnpike and Septa rail all within minutes of the front door.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is easy to be fun and friendly when you work with great people. I hope to see you again next time you are in the area.
Bret Jones

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia / Fort Washington? Share your experiences!