“A Decent Value with some issues” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Fogelsville
Radnor, PA
“A Decent Value with some issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

When I read some of the reviews and the things people nitpick about, I had to laugh. I mean a toilet that flushes too loud? Believe it or not, that toilet was the loudest I have ever heard. Forty three years of hearing flushes and I cringed every time I had to pull the handle. Was it enough to change my thoughts of the room? Nah, it was just an interesting aside. On to the more unbiased.

The Sins of a Hotel Stay:

What can make a break a stay for me come down to a few things. Cleanliness, comfort of bed and properly working A/C or heat. The A-town Hawthorne passes all the above. Room was clean but yes, dated and a little in need of an update. Hanging closet doorknob.. jacuzzi which worked but had half its buttons missing, no hot water from kitchenette sink, one overhead light with no switch I could find. These would be deal breakers and get a one star review from a $150+ room. In context of value, they were not a big deal to us. The bed was comfortable enough. It was probably a pillow top thrown onto an older mattress but it was firm enough without lumps. The linens and pillows were top notch. I wanted to steal one of those pillows.

The room and hotel itself were very quiet and I slept like a baby. The room was large, almost to the point of cavernous. The trek to the bathroom had me wanting to hail a taxi. That beats a tiny room though.

The owners/staff were all very nice and accomodated my request for extra pillows and were very prompt with a reply when I could not figure out why the Jacuzzi would not turn on. I wasn't hitting a button that was recessed in the tub. Handle room problems and give me a couple of extra pillows and I am a happy camper.

This is NOT a s-hole (pardon my blunt vernacular) but it is far from a luxurious room. The TV had pretty terrible picture quality and my phone could not get anything to work from the WiFI even though it said I was connected. Again, no big deal as I wasn't on the trip for business. This may be something I would have sought a solution for had I needed access.

The room was waiting for us at 68 degrees when we arrived and the A/C worked flawlessly and quietly. So overall, I had an enjoyable stay. Based on the price to value ratio, $110 for a big room with a jacuzzi, I will give it a solid 3.5. I'll rate it four stars to be fair to what seems like a willing ownership. They should probably invest some money into the hotel in the near future but then again, with due respect, this is Allentown, not NYC or Philly.

We did not make the breakfast because we had a brunch planned with some friends later on. Coffee machine in kitchen/lobby area makes on demand fresh hot coffee all day/night.

PS: I'd give a perfect 5 star rating on cleanliness but there was a phone number written in pencil on the bathroom wall. Very gauche and should not have been missed by housekeeping.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We were in Pennsylvania for a weekend of theme park fun! First stop was Hershey and then we drove to Hawthorn Suites for the night and the following day was Dorney. I think its in a pretty good location since it was close to a few restaurants/fast food places. We ended up eating at Long John Silvers since there are none in NYC. The people at the front desk are very nice. Our room was very spacious and clean, had all of the necessities and even a little kitchenette area. I think the only con to this hotel is that the decor is outdated, but I can live with that. Also they serve complimentary breakfast and had a good selection to choose from.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed here for our Fourth of July weekend for our family trip to Hershey and Dorney Park. I agree with the other reviews on Trip Advisor - with the exception of the "outdated" appearance. We were prepared for a 1980's throwback, but were pleasantly surprised with the updated furnishings ie: flatscreen tv. (However, there is still floral wallpaper trim all around the room, and a very dated microwave.)

Perks
+ Close proximity to Dorney Park - about a 10 minute drive
+ Price - we paid about $105 for a room with 2 Queen beds!
+ Friendly and accommodating staff
+ Nearby restaurants and convenience stores
+ Continental breakfast

Would definitely stay and recommend to friends, family and vacationers on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
East Berlin, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We arrived at the hotel at 9:pm and was treated very well by the customer service rep. Our room had a king bed and a sofa and other chairs. Also had a microwave, refrig and a sink by the frig. Location is good and no road noise. Will definitely stay here again if in the area. Comp breakfast included scrambled eggs,potato,sausage,pancakes,french toast,muffins , cereal , juices and coffee. Hotel will also supply dinnerware on request.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

This is my second time staying at this hotel. I liked it the first time and it was my pleasure to return again. The room was nice and clean. It is near Allentown, as Route 100 is the border between Allentown and Fogelsville. Route 100 is around the corner from the hotel. The hotel is in a small and very quiet shopping center. The neighborhood is a small village and is a safe and quiet neighborhood. If you want to see rural areas, they are only a two minute drive from the very small downtown Fogelsville area. The free breakfast was good. The business center had a computer with free Internet access and printing. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

We only stayed overnight, but it was a place we would stay longer if we had a need. Clean, comfortable, and well located. Numerous places to eat nearby. The only negative was how loud the toilet was when flushed. I know, that's picky.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Hartford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

We stayed at the Hawthorn so we could attend a wedding in the area on Saturday afternoon/evening. When I made the reseravtion, I requested and we were given two rooms near each other. We gave advance notice and were allowed to check in early (noon) to get ready. Our room was large, clean and comfortable with a kitchenette (kitchen items were available at the front desk but we did not use them). Good water pressure and hot water, good cable and internet. There was a nice counter outside the bathroom with a make up mirror and access to the "kitchen" sink so if someone was in the bathroom, you could still get ready. The bathroom fan was noisy and always came on with the light, no separate switch There was a good closet will a full length mirror but no stand for the suitcase. We used the coffee table. The hotel is far enough away from the highway that it is pretty quiet but is a very short walk to restaurants and shops. Breakfast was very good and included hot foods like scrambled eggs and sausage in addition to the normal contimental items. The coffee machine was awesome and available all day. It made individual cups to taste including chocolate, mocha and decaf. We were very happy with the property and the service and would definitely stay here again since we have family in the area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Allentown - Fogelsville? Share your experiences!