“So good I bought a house there.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Boyds, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
“So good I bought a house there.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

After looking around for many years my wife and I decided to visit Penn National. At first it seemed rather remote but upon further research we found a wonderful community and beautiful setting. Since I'm a golfer I played both courses and fell in love with each one for it's own attributes. Founders is a tough tree lined old style course while Iron Forge is an open links style course. Both are well maintained and golf trips will enjoy staying at the Inn and having the option of breakfast in the morning. Now, not only do I have an annual fall classic at Penn National, but the guys stay in our new house that we built in the community. Ahhhhh...

Visited October 2013

East Meadow, NY
3 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Golf Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My group of eight guys just completed our golf trip (4.5 rounds) for the 9th year (August 6 - August 8) at Penn National. I echo everything that AlanBeautifulPlace wrote below on May 4 so no need to repeat. I will add the following:
- Both courses were in immaculate condition from tee to green.

- The greens on Iron Forge are bent grass (so said the starter). We found it very difficult to get the speed right. It seemed that in order to get a true roll, it was necessary to putt the ball firmly otherwise it would fall prey to the grain and subtle breaks.

- The greens on Founders were poana (I think I was told that) which is what I am used to on Long Island.

- Every staff member is incredibly nice!

Visited August 2013
5 attraction reviews
“Beautiful golf course”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

While neither I nor my husband play golf, many of our neighbors are golfers. They love playing on both courses (Founders and Iron Forge). Each year several tournaments are played here, and golfers come from surrounding states to use the facility. Beautiful and well maintained greens.

21 attraction reviews
“A round on Monday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We live very close to Penn National and take it for granted. It is an excellent course, two courses actually. The original course, The Founders, is a good challenge to even the best golfer, and Iron Forge is set like an European course with tall grass rough, but who hits a ball there? Both courses are an excellent challenge.

33 attraction reviews
“Two diverse, well-kept golf courses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Penn National is a self supporting golf club, open to the public, and kept in superb shape. The old course (Founders) is tree lined, with good greens, and excellent fairways. It is a true test of a golfers talents. The Iron Forge Course is a links-type layout with few trees and beautiful views of the rolling countryside in the rural Fayetteville/Mont Alto area. Each course has unique holes and a few with water. Reduced green fees can be obtained by planning your golf outing properly. It is worth the trip to experience these courses.