“A perfect location for a Christmas Wedding!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757

Save Saved
You added The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757 to your Saves list
The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   15 West Main Street, P.O. Box 300, Fairfield, PA 17320   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Fairfield B&B and Inns
Fairfield, Pennsylvania
“A perfect location for a Christmas Wedding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Our story began at The Fairfield Inn on May 8, 2013. That is where my husband proposed to me. The experience at dinner that night was so incredible we decided to have our wedding ceremony there. We communicated with John about a month before our wedding date. He asked questions and made several suggestions for us to consider regarding the ceremony and dinner. He emailed the dinner options so that we could get a rough estimate of how much and what kind of food our guests wanted so they wouldn’t have to wait long to be served.

We met with John the week before our wedding to make the final preparations. The Fairfield Inn was decorated for Christmas, and with the snow outside, it looked like a winter wonderland! John asked if there was anything we wanted to change or add any of our own decorating ideas. John emailed us the day before the wedding to see if we wanted to have the fireplace lit for the ceremony and if we wanted to upgrade to a suite for no extra charge.

The day of the ceremony we arrived at 1:30 (the ceremony was at 5:00). All the chairs were set up for the ceremony. John and the staff wanted to know if everything was to our liking. After the ceremony, chairs were put back and the tables were arranged for dinner. During this thirty-minute time period, guests were invited to the parlor where hot chocolate was available. Guests were also able to take a walking tour of the Inn. The food was excellent and portions were sufficient. During the meal, John gave a brief history of The Fairfield Inn.

We spent the night in the Patrick Henry room. The room was beautiful and clean. Breakfast the next morning was delicious. The combination of The Fairfield Inn and its history, the snow, and Christmas made our wedding magical!! We have received only positive comments from our family and friends about our ceremony. Thank you to John and his staff for making our wedding experience a truly positive one.

Room Tip: Each room has its own uniqueness and charm.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
John G K, Owner at The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
I really enjoyed having your group here, and the bride was lovely. I hope to see you here again soon.

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Its under new management! From the moment we called to book till we checked out we had a blast. We went there and there thinking we would get a small bnb and we got all this history as well. We happen to be there and no one else was staying. But it was much better than the ski lodges. Its 5 min from the slopes and the staff is great. The manager introduced himself at breakfast the next morning :) we will be back for sure !!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
John G K, Owner at The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind words. We try to treat everyone well.
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The historic Fairfield Inn lived up to its billing as historic. If you have ever wished to spend a night in an antique store, this is an opportunity waiting for you. The inn is located near Gettysburg and the Liberty Mountain Resort, but there is little to do in the small town of Fairfield. We were the only over-night guests on the night we stayed so there was little noise from other rooms.

Although the room is an antique creation, the bathroom is modern with a jacuzzi style tub. A small ladder is needed to climb into the four-poster bed, but we slept soundly once under the covers. The staff was helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the home cooked breakfast of eggs, beacon, waffles, OJ and coffee.

A pleasant bed and breakfast experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chantilly, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Fairfield Inn during Columbus Day weekend 2013. The stay was uncomfortable. When we arrived and attempted to check in, we could not find any staff. We had to ask dining staff and tavern staff to find someone to check us in. We also ordered a cheese platter and a bottle of wine to be in our room upon arrival. When we got in our room there was neither. We received a knock on the door 2.5 hours later with the cheese plate but not the bottle of wine. It is unclear if that was an honest mistake. We had a coffee maker in the room, but no coffee, no filters, or stirrers. We also found a white towel with a large red stain. Although it may not be blood, it was alarming. The inn posts a nice brunch; however, when we went down to brunch it was empty and there were no sign of staff. The only staff member that we did see was the house keeper throughout the stay. It was not all it was published to be.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
JGKramb, Owner at The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for bringing your problems to my attention. I strive to provide an excellent experience for all my customers, and clearly I fell short with you.
With regard to your not being able to find staff, I'm not sure at what time you checked in to the Inn. However, if it was during a busy dinner time, then you probably did have to wait a few minutes to be checked in. We always have the room key and receipt ready to go, however as a Bed and Breakfast, we don't maintain a full time front desk.
The situation with the dirty linen and no coffee is unacceptable. I personally these items, and how these errors happened baffles me. I wish you had identified these problems to me during your stay so that I could have taken immediate corrective action. I list my home phone number in the in-room information sheet for just such occasions.
I do hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Thanks again for being our guest.
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

We loved the charm and history of this early - American home and inn and the local surroundings. One is transported. This place is about comfort and not pretension (so don't expect to be spoiled in a modern day sense) but you'll be spoiled by the things we sometimes forget to appreciate: kind, accomplished owners and helpful staff, relaxing meals, fun conversation, imaginative settings and genuine links to the past. This place provides lodging to spark your adventures elsewhere in Adam's County. Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2013
Bethesda, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have frequented this establishment many times over the past 12 years and always thought that in the right hands this place could be really great and each and every time I've walked away underwhelmed to say the least. My fiancé and I stayed there recently in the Grumble Jones room and it was awful. I'm not referring to the slanted floors or any of the other quirks that an old home will have. It was dirty. The bathroom was gross. There was hair on the floor and on the toilet seat. The towels were dingy looking and the bathmat was all frayed on the ends. We got one bar of soap for the two of us and no replacement bar the next day. I pulled back the comforter and the sheets were so wrinkled I could not be sure that they had been changed. The place was so dusty I couldn't believe it. We have stayed in many B and B's that are in old buildings but never one so lacking in attention to detail. The worst part of the trip was the bat that flew out of the closet in our room. We were in bed sleeping and all of a sudden over our head there it was. I jumped out of bed and opened the door and I could hear it hitting the walls. When I opened the closet door in the room there was an obvious whole in the wall and bat guano on the walls.!!I didn't recognize any staff from the previous ownership and the ones that I did have interaction with appeared clueless when asked a question about anything to do with the Inn. It's a shame that a building with such great history and potential has yet to live up to that potential. When you are charging the rates that they are I expect to get what I pay for
The breakfast was served to us in the morning by a gentleman who introduced himself as the chef. He was dressed in street clothes and looked as though he himself could use to a eat a sandwich or two. He leaned over to take my plate and I swear I smelled alcohol l and it was 8:45 am!!! Fairfield Inn you could be great but improvements must be made. We have been there many times but I would hesitate to go back again unless improvements are made.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
JGKramb, Owner at The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
I was very saddened to learn of your experience. My goal is to provide each of my guests with a wonderful experience, and clearly I fell short of that goal for your visit.
I checked the closet for the bat guano and could find none, however the wall was dirty from something dripping down it. I have since cleaned that.
As far as the dirt and hair, it is totally unacceptable that you found that, and I apologize. The person who was cleaning rooms at the time of your visit no longer works here, and I now clean and re-stock the rooms myself.
I find that ironing the sheets just creates different wrinkles. I asked for feedback on our facebook page, and was almost universally told not to bother with it. I now smooth the sheets out as best as practicably.
I have an information sheet about the Inn in each room, and my home telephone number is listed on it. Your review was the first time that I knew that you had these difficulties with your stay.
I hope you will give me another chance in the future.
Tinton Falls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I loved the Fairfield Inn! Me and my husband stayed in the lovely Patrick Henry room for two nights while we visited Gettysburg. We take a Halloween vacation every October so we try to pick a good haunted spot and Gettysburg did not disappoint us. The Fairfield Inn was exactly what we were looking for. I felt I was transported back in time. I also had a ghostly experience that added something really special to the trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757? Share your experiences!