“Want to love this place” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757

Save Saved
You added The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757 to your Saves list
The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   15 West Main Street, P.O. Box 300, Fairfield, PA 17320   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Fairfield B&B and Inns
Bethesda, Maryland
“Want to love this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have frequented this establishment many times over the past 12 years and always thought that in the right hands this place could be really great and each and every time I've walked away underwhelmed to say the least. My fiancé and I stayed there recently in the Grumble Jones room and it was awful. I'm not referring to the slanted floors or any of the other quirks that an old home will have. It was dirty. The bathroom was gross. There was hair on the floor and on the toilet seat. The towels were dingy looking and the bathmat was all frayed on the ends. We got one bar of soap for the two of us and no replacement bar the next day. I pulled back the comforter and the sheets were so wrinkled I could not be sure that they had been changed. The place was so dusty I couldn't believe it. We have stayed in many B and B's that are in old buildings but never one so lacking in attention to detail. The worst part of the trip was the bat that flew out of the closet in our room. We were in bed sleeping and all of a sudden over our head there it was. I jumped out of bed and opened the door and I could hear it hitting the walls. When I opened the closet door in the room there was an obvious whole in the wall and bat guano on the walls.!!I didn't recognize any staff from the previous ownership and the ones that I did have interaction with appeared clueless when asked a question about anything to do with the Inn. It's a shame that a building with such great history and potential has yet to live up to that potential. When you are charging the rates that they are I expect to get what I pay for
The breakfast was served to us in the morning by a gentleman who introduced himself as the chef. He was dressed in street clothes and looked as though he himself could use to a eat a sandwich or two. He leaned over to take my plate and I swear I smelled alcohol l and it was 8:45 am!!! Fairfield Inn you could be great but improvements must be made. We have been there many times but I would hesitate to go back again unless improvements are made.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
JGKramb, Owner at The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
I was very saddened to learn of your experience. My goal is to provide each of my guests with a wonderful experience, and clearly I fell short of that goal for your visit.
I checked the closet for the bat guano and could find none, however the wall was dirty from something dripping down it. I have since cleaned that.
As far as the dirt and hair, it is totally unacceptable that you found that, and I apologize. The person who was cleaning rooms at the time of your visit no longer works here, and I now clean and re-stock the rooms myself.
I find that ironing the sheets just creates different wrinkles. I asked for feedback on our facebook page, and was almost universally told not to bother with it. I now smooth the sheets out as best as practicably.
I have an information sheet about the Inn in each room, and my home telephone number is listed on it. Your review was the first time that I knew that you had these difficulties with your stay.
I hope you will give me another chance in the future.

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Tinton Falls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I loved the Fairfield Inn! Me and my husband stayed in the lovely Patrick Henry room for two nights while we visited Gettysburg. We take a Halloween vacation every October so we try to pick a good haunted spot and Gettysburg did not disappoint us. The Fairfield Inn was exactly what we were looking for. I felt I was transported back in time. I also had a ghostly experience that added something really special to the trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to the Fairfield Inn for a weekend getaway to celebrate his 30 th birthday. After driving two hours in the pouring down rain, we were very disappointed to discover the room had no heat. The Inn Keepers solution was to give us extra blankets for our two night stay. Obviously we were nit looking to bundle up like Eskimos for the next 48 hours, so we had to turn around and drive all the way back home. The Inn keeper was not the least bit apologetic and was actually a tad arrogant about the whole thing. Lots of other people have had good things to say about this Inn and I don't discount their reviews, but my experience was not good at all.

• Stayed October 2013
John G K, Owner at The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
I remember this couple well. They were understandably not happy with the lack of heat. It was early in the cool season, and the workman came the following week for system maintenance. I did apologize to them for the inconvenience, refunded all their money, and wished them a safe journey.
The couple did seem to enjoy their meal in the restaurant.
Bennington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We just came back from a wonderful trip to Pennsylvania. We stayed at the historic 1757 Fairfield Inn and were delighted and pleased at our stay. The owner John is very friendly and a terrific innkeeper. He gave us several tips on where to eat in Fairfield and Gettysburg and we were not disappointed! The room was charming and historic! Any minor problems we encountered while at the inn were immediately fixed with graciousness and humor. We loved the historical aspect of the Inn with a very modern and clean bathroom.

We enjoyed breakfast at the Inn each morning and enjoyed our server and chef Terry. We stayed a week and by the 2nd day he had our beverage choices ready as soon as we were seated. Breakfast was delicious and something different everyday. It was more than enough to get us through our morning activities . One day we had an apple dish in a ramekin as one of the breakfast sides and it was the perfect fall breakfast treat.

We had dinner at the Inn one night and it was just perfect. My husband had their signature dish of chicken and biscuits, I had the Yankee pot roast. One of the side dishes was punkin fritters, they were melt in your mouth heavenly delicious. It was all scrumptious!

If you are traveling through this area and looking for a Bed and Breakfast this is the place to stay. I was nervous at first as we had booked this vacation a year in advance and the Inn had changed owners during that year. All my fears vanished by the first night there. We will plan to use this Inn again on future trips. We love this area of Pennsylvania and are sure to return! If you are not looking for a Bed and Breakfast just go to the Inn for dinner in the Tavern or restaurant. You are sure to be pleased, We were!!

Room Tip: We were in the Grumble Jones room it had a smaller bathroom than the other rooms, we peeked when the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Grover, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My mother and I stayed in the Threee Colonels room and it was fabulous!! The floor tilted and had old time furnishings that added to the charm of the place. The Assistant Inn Keeper Annette was so friendly and very helpful and was a great server for our breakfast each morning. John, the owner was fabulous too. One night my mom needed a sandwich and of course she waited until the chef had already gone home. I asked John about where to get a sandwich and he told me there was a place about a block away, then he said " never mind, will a ham and cheese sandwich be ok"? I told him sure.....he made her a ham and swiss cheese sandwich on wheat toast with mustard.I asked him "How much"? He said " I wouldn't know what to charge for a sandwich" lol It was very good, I had a bite. lol We both just loved it there and the next time we go up that way, we will be staying there.

Room Tip: Due to the place being so old, there are a few leaks in the walls and under the doors due to floors...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our family visited this bed and breakfast. The location is very nice in that it's just close enough to Gettysburg for visiting, but you don't have to experience all the crowds and noise in the evening. Our family had two rooms in the Inn which was plenty of room for our group. The owners leave you a key so that you can come and go as you please, it makes for a nice home-away-from home. The rooms were beautiful and of course the claw foot tubs are the only way to bathe! The breakfast and service of the staff was excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Durham, ME
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I used the Fairfied Inn as a headquarters for exploring Gettysburg. We had the 3 Colonels room on the top floor. It was a beautifully appointed room. Nice living room/parlor area with a great old chess set/table in the center of the room. Bedroom was just fine and the bathroom was huge with a claw foot tub. All the floors were slightly off kilter, which added to the colonial charm of the place.

John, the new owner, was very gracious and sat down with us at dinner to answer a few history questions about the area. The entire staff was terrific, warm, and friendly.

John told us before we arrived that the Inn had yet to procure its liquor license. I have to say, bringing a bottle of wine you like to dinner (and paying only $10 for it...) was a pleasurable experience. Would have spent 3X more if we bought it by the glass. Food was really top notch. The dimly lit, historic Inn/restaurant was comfortable, uncrowded, and the service was excellent.

It was an easy (and pretty )10-minute drive to Gettysburg. We were so glad that we opted for an inn in the country instead of staying in Gettysburg. If you want to relax and soak up history at the same time, the Historic Fairfield Inn 1757 is for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757? Share your experiences!