“Fairfield Inn still excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757

Save Saved
You added The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757 to your Saves list
The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   15 West Main Street, P.O. Box 300, Fairfield, PA 17320   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Fairfield B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Fairfield Inn still excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Despite the potential for a drop off after the new owners took over, I was relieved to feel just as welcome & as comfortable as in previous years. The welcome was friendly & accommodating & this continued with the staff who prepared & served breakfast on three days for us. The room (JEB Stuart) was comfortable but the street noise was noticeable at night when going to bed. The quality of rest fixed that easily though. We attended a music festival at the Granite Hill Campgrounds so it was only a 4 min car ride away. To visit Gettysburg, it is only 8 miles and the road is not heavily used.
All in all, the Inn lived up to our expectations!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper the Stuart room may be noisy for you. Not an issue for us though.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Annapolis, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and I have traveled extensively throughout the country in our 33+ years of marriage. We love B&B's and love history. We were very excited about our pending stay at the Fairfield inn during the Gettysburg Bluegrass festival May of 2013.
Possibly we expected too much. We spent two nights in the Grumble Jones room.
First let me state the positive aspects of our stay. The food was good. The employees were very nice and helpful. Their service was good. That was about it.

The cleanliness of the front parlor on the first floor was lacking with the soiled furniture. It was the same with the soiled uncomfortable furniture in our room. The bed creaked incessantly with any move my wife or I made. The room was small and cramped. This made sleeping very difficult.
The stairs leading to the second floor were quite slanted, but their slant was nothing compared to the unbelievable slant to the floors in our room!
I was in the Merchant Marine and could only compare the slant from the outer wall to the door to be that of a ship listing 4 to 5 degrees. Walking from the door to the opposite side of the room was literally like walking uphill. This was worse when after sitting down we would get up, and would experience a dizzying effect when moving about the room.
This also made getting in an our of bed much more difficult.
There were no amenities other then some packaged cookies in the hall and no refrigerator in the room to keep cold water.
Breakfast was served at 8:30m sharp until 10. However there is no coffee out before then. If you get up earlier you must walk down the street to a restaurant to buy coffee. Additionally the cook is not flexible at all. Everyone's plate comes exactly the same, no exceptions, (according to the waitress). This included some sort of sugary syrup on top of the fruit cup and jam already on the waffles one morning and the french toast the next. Personally I like to put my own toppings on my food.
The total cost for the lodging and breakfast was $333.00 for two night, tax included. I believe the base cost for this tiny room was $150.00 per night. $90.00 per night might have been fair and reasonable. My wife and I felt that $150 per night was quite excessive for these accommodations. We both agree at these prices we wouldn't stay here again.
We are not picky at all and this first bad review we've given to any lodging establishment.

Room Tip: I don't know if there is a room without such slanted floors. I would ask the innkeeper when I ca...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
John G K, Owner at The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
I'm sorry that the reviewer was disappointed in his stay at the Historic Fairfield Inn.
The building itself is over 226 years old, and, yes, none of the floors are level. That is part of the charm of the facility.
As far as breakfast goes, yes, we offer a set breakfast every morning, and the offering changes each day.
The reviewer mentioned nothing to us regarding his dissatisfaction while he was here at the Inn, so I did not have any knowledge of it until he wrote this review. I would have happily made accommodation for him had I known he had a problem.
I trust that people who read his review will read the comments of May 12th and May 21st, or any of the others in the past year
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We needed a place to hold a graduation dinner for my daughter and her boy friend and both families on Mother's Day. It had to be near Emmitsburg, MD and major highways. The Historic Fairfield Inn is about 10 minutes from both Emmitsburg and Gettysburg, PA so it was very convenient for us. We had a private room, the food was excellent, and the staff was wonderful. Everyone in our party was very happy with the entire experience, which included a tour of the Inn, which dates back to 1757. My wife and I had stayed at the Inn last year on one of our trips to take our daughter back to college and enjoyed that stay as well.

Room Tip: Rooms are named after persons in history, they are all very nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I've stayed in many Historic Inns and do not consider myself to be in any way an overly picky traveler, especially with regard to properties of this age, but its only fair to warn the potential visitor that ones expectations, if at all fanciful, should be tempered.

I had visited the Inn a few times previously and was well aware of its Historic pedigree, though I had never stayed overnight on my visits. This time some friends and I occupied the balance of the Inn, so I was fortunate enough to see and walk around in most every room the Fairfield has to offer. I generally like a place where you can drop pennies through holes in the ancient 3rd floor hardwood and have them plink down to the bar on the ground floor, and I don't mind a place that looks to be 250 years old as long as it is that old, so I didn't mind the fact that if there is a level surface at the Inn, my investigations failed to reveal it.

Structural issues cannot really be changed in property this old without massive renovation, but somebody could have definitely done better on the bedding, not only did it look dingy, but the four I sat on and laid in ranged from mildly uncomfortable to ridiculous. This didn't really detract much from my enjoyment of the 3rd floor, but I've also slept on rocks hiking the Appalachian Trail, so my tolerances may not exactly be representative.

All of which is really meant to say, that the Fairfield Inn is in fact a very cool place, but people should temper their expectations accordingly if luxury is important. Also, the Inn has recently changed ownership and while nothing can or should be done about the architectural quirks of such an old building, l do hope that the bedding will be upgraded, thus eliminating a major and very fixable issue at the property.

Room Tip: If you have the coin, take both rooms on the 3rd Floor and enjoy the balcony in an essentially detat...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
John G K, Owner at The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Good news! There is a new owner, and he is I.

I have replaced all the linens with high quality, comfy ones.
All the pillows are new.

The floors still slant. That's part of the charm of the place.

I hope the reviewer gives it another try.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend knows how much I love Gettysburg and historical places so she purchased me a gift certificate for the Fairfield inn for Christmas. We used it to stay a weekend in April of 2012 in the three colonels suite. It was one of the most expensive rooms but offered a sitting room and balcony which was both nice to use. The whole suite was beautiful from the old fashioned furniture to the claw foot tub. Made you feel like you we're stepping back in time. The rest of the inn was just as beautiful. We arrived early in the day and was greeted by June, one of the owners and she gave us a tour of the building. Each room was amazing and had an interesting historical story about them. This inn has seen it all from being a civil war hospital,a stop on the Underground Railroad, and even a resting place for ghost.
Our first night we ate at the inn and used the dinner for two package they offer when you register and it was well worth it. We ordered the lamb and the duck which were delicious along with all of the appetizers. The package we bought was well worth the cost of the food and saved us a lot of money. We stayed there for hours enjoying our meal and drinking wine in front of the old tavern's fireplace while we chatted with our server Cindy who was an amazing host. All of the staff was so nice and caring to us the whole time we stayed there.
This weekend was special for me because I proposed to my beautiful fiancé Chrissy in Gettysburg during the weekend. It was a weekend I will never forget and want to thank the Fairfield Inn for giving me a wonderful memory.

• Stayed April 2012
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Lovely old hotel - full of character. Our room was large, clean and comfortable.We found the food somewhat uninspiring and the bar closed at 9pm. As there was nowhere else to go in the village, it spoilt our evening.

The countryside in this part of America is very attractive with a lot of history and will appeal to the Brits as much as the Americans. Gettysburg about 8 miles down the road is well worth a visit.

Room Tip: We looked in most of the rooms and they were all nice with lots of character.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Baden, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This inn was built in 1757 and has been in continuous service since. The current owners have had the property for ten years and it is truly a delight to visit. We went to visit Gettysburg on a Tuesday and stayed Tuesday night (the inn is 8 miles west of Gettysburg, PA). They have six rooms and we had booked the least expensive, but since only three couples were staying on that Tuesday, we were upgraded to a larger room at no extra cost. The inn has been beautifully preserved and restored. Our room was roomy, had period furnishings, and a large, updated bathroom including a shower and claw footed tub. We saw other rooms -- all very nice and some quite spacious (two rooms and bath). The inn hosts a local performer named Professor Kerrigan who does an evening dinner theater (Tues - Sat) that includes a tasty and complete meal (several choices), and a 2 1/2 hour show which includes illusions -- many from the Civil War era and a Civil War seance simulation. The cost was $39.95 per person, inclusive. Breakfast is included in the cost of the room. There is also a dining option (exclusive of the theater) in the inn. I would highly recommend both the accomodations and the dinner theater experience. The innkeeper will make dinner theater reservations upon request and more information for the theater is available at www.civilwartheater.com The Fairfield Inn website is: www.thefairfieldinn.com

Room Tip: We had the Patrick Henry Room -- a queensize bed, large bath, TV, and AC. The cost was approximatel...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757? Share your experiences!