“Why such bad reviews?” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Exton
Des Moines, Iowa
“Why such bad reviews?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After reading the reviews on here, I'm surprised. My boyfriend stayed here for a month while working nearby. They have excellent muffins/ breakfast free of charge in the mornings (the restaurant next door has no breakfast), close to a lot of things (Walmart, target, giant), lots of restaurants to eat at within 5 minutes, easy interstate access, and nice updated bathrooms. Now there were a few negatives -
There were a few washers out but there are also like 6 washers in there and I had no wait to use it, the fabric sheet machine ate my money, but the front desk clerk was nice and gave me back my money. It smelt of smoke on the other end of the floor even though the rooms are non smoking? Overall I think it was a good stay and worth the money.

Stayed April 2015
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Exton, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am glad to read that you were pleased with our grab-and-go breakfast and that our staff provided you with great service. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
State College, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2015

I am NOT happy with the way things were taken care of over the phone. None of the staff followed the instructions on what I needed them to do in charging us for our room! My husband was there for a business conference "non profit" and the family was staying in the room next to him, that was being paid out of pocket, CHARGED the wrong card and refused to fix it
The room smelled so bad my daughter had to sleep in my room! It was dirty and broken handles, and no soap! The window was open in the room and it took 40 minutes to heat it up!! I asked for coffee in the morning and there was NONE! They charged me a pet fee after I already paid for the room and I asked if there was an extra fee and got NO answer! And when I asked why they charged my card a second time they stared at me like I had 3 heads!! I don't mind paying for anything, I was originally suppose to stay at the Marriott but my reservation had gotten misplaced and the rooms will filled, so I eneded up in this niightmare?
Not even an apology???

Room Tip: READ THE REVIEWS! There are nicer rooms a street over
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Exton, responded to this review, January 27, 2015
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. It upsets me to hear that your room did not exceed your expectations. I am concerned to hear about the issue with your credit card and the information you were given regarding a pet fee. If you can provide me with some more information I can look into the situation and rectify it to your specifications. As well, I am sorry that your daughter's room had an unpleasant odor. I am so very sorry for your experience. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and I will train them to make sure your experience is not repeated. I will also be working specifically with my housekeeping staff to ensure that we are properly cleaning, stocking, and inspecting our rooms. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I hope that you will contact me directly, at ext@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2014

I stayed here for 2 weeks as my apartment was prepared for me. The experience was eh ok. This place lacks any kind of security.
Sometimes the main door downstairs is locked, others times its opened all night. There are no cameras on the premises so if anything happens to your car or you outside of the building the police will have to play the guessing game. The front desk staff were always welcoming. The "breakfast in a bag" is actually a grab and go of chewy bars and muffins. If you are a non smoker stay away from the 3rd floor. I am a smoker and I couldn't even handle the room and moved to a new floor. Not only are the rooms under ventilated but the entire floor smells like an ashtray, once again this s coming from a smoker, just to put things into perspective. Overall it was an average stay. If I had to do it again I would probably stay next door at the Wyndham where there is at least a bar and restaurant inside the hotel.

Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Exton, responded to this review, December 26, 2014
Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. I am pleased to read your remarks about my staff; however, I am very sorry that our lack of security was upsetting. I will share your concerns with our security team to ensure that we are better monitoring our parking lot and common areas. As well, I am sorry to read that there was a smoke odor during your stay. I will work with my housekeeping staff to better deodorize our smoking rooms so that your experience is not repeated. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at ext@extendedstay.com. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay America. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Lauderdale, Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

The first time I've stayed at this chain so not sure what is normal for bunch and what ain't.(Yes, I said ain't because if twerk and twitter can become words so can ain't)

The good: It has a full-size fridge and allows pets. That's about it.

The Bad (It's a long list so pull up a chair.):
Staff is hit or miss here. Some are okay but others ooze incompetence.

The actual price was a lot higher ($335/wk) than what was quoted to me by my company ($265/wk) Don't know what happened. Maybe getting charged normal vs. corporate rate.

The trash room, located near lobby, was near overflowing and you could smell it over the entire floor. It was taken care a couple of days later by made a bad first impression.

The fridge made a very loud grinding noise. Desk clerk suggested I set fridge to warmer setting.

They only clean room once a week. One week, I woke up late (I work late shift till 2:00 am) at 10:00 and room didn't get serviced was told by desk clerk that it'd be another week before they get to me. Another clerk had them clean it the next day thou.

TV is annoying. Timer shuts it off every 3 hours and limited channels. Cable news, Showtime, and sports mainly. No Disney, Nick, USA, A&E, or History.

A/C and heater was pre-set to a certain temp and couldn't adjust it or the fan speed. When I asked desk clerk to have some one check it out, she said I just didn't know how to use it. (Let's see... 8 buttons... 2 to adjust temp... Off/Cool/Heat, wonder what that does... Hi/Lo/Auto Hmm, never seen that before...)

Internet is slow. 90's dial-up slow. You can forget about YouTube much less Netflicks. You can purchase a upgrade however.

Laundry room has 6 washers and 8 dryers (2 dryers busted) and cost $2.00 apiece.

I had a FedEx package delivered to me. When I went to pick it up, the lady behind counter said they didn't have it. When I told her FedEx tracking showed it being sign for, she told me it was wrong and FedEx made a mistake. This went on for awhile. She even said I shouldn't be upset because I or FedEx must be mistaken. The package was later found at the front desk.

Road construction at front of hotel makes entering a pain at best or severe safety hazard on bad days. Also some days you'll be without water or internet or whatever.

For the price, is a okay deal, but better deals out there.

Room Tip: Get a room away from lobby to avoid smell from trash room.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Exton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2014

I was not thrilled to have to stay here but this is what priceline gave me. I was a little worried after reading the reviews. I looked up Extended Stay online and was actually quite surprised. I learned that this is a very basic property, no bells, no whistles and that is what you get. I guess they go for the the travelers that are staying a longer time so thats why its so basic. It was nice that there was a kitchen and fridge. I had leftovers from dinner and a soda that I kept in the fridge so that was good. I planned to hear the leftovers up in the microwave but they give you coffee and muffins in the morning... they had fruit but nothing I wanted. I think some of the other reviewers compare this to other hotels that give you all the bells and whistles so they aren't prepared for what they walk into.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Exton, responded to this review, October 13, 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I am happy to read that your room and your fully-equipped kitchen was to your liking. We are also pleased to read that you enjoyed our grab-and-go breakfast. Thank you for your kind comments. I look forward to your next visit with us.
Millersburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We stayed at Extended Stay America In Exton, PA on Pottstown Pike. The room reeked of smoke and the hotel had a no smoking policy. The room was disgusting. I think they only cleaned the beds and that was suspect. Lots of noise kids running the halls. The toilet seat was disgusting. Paint coming off it you could not sit on it. I will NEVER stay there again and I would not recommend it for the price. DUMP!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Felt like home !! Special kudos to Brian!!good housekeeping! Good maintenance , I would suggest to put more couches in the lobby so that can accommodate more guests to be seated !! Had a wonderful experience with Brian and his team. Would highly recommend this hotel for families. Very safe

• Stayed February 2014

Been to Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Exton? Share your experiences!