“Pleasantly Satisfied” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Essington
York, Pennsylvania
“Pleasantly Satisfied”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I'm not one to write reviews on hotels, but this past weekend (March 21-23, 2014), my wife and I needed a simple place to stay while attending a church conference in Chester, PA. We were only 90 minutes from home, but yet didn't want to drive back and forth all weekend. While not wanting to spend a lot of money on a hotel and only needing a basic hotel and after reading the reviews online we decided to take a chance on this hotel. We don't have anything negative to say. The room was clean, we slept like babies, we didn't notice any airport noise considering the distance from the airport, and our staff interaction was nice. The only things that I can't review with five stars are: 1) don't expect the towels to feel like clouds, they could have used a little fabric softener 2) the "stopper" in the sink didn't function 100% which I left the front desk know was broken before we arrived. We stayed in Room 229. Again, I can't say anything negative regarding this hotel, we would DEFINITELY stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Julia C, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Hello and thank you so much for your review. My staff and I are so happy to hear that your had a nice stay with us. I want you to know that we fixed the problem in 229 and we are changing all our towels to softer and bigger brand as we are becoming RED ROOF PLUS. It will be our pleasure to have you back to stay with us again and try our new product. Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Been staying here for 5 days now due to a problem at home that left me temporarily homeless. The first night went to the office just to see if by any chance they had some personal items since I left in a rush and left some stuff behind, the office staff was very friendly and understanding and made sure I had everything I needed. Love the fact they are pet friendly since I had nobody to stay with my lil dog and no xtra charge for that!! Rooms are very clean and updated,the price is very affordable which is very helpful on my situation. The cleaning people are very friendly and make sure I have whatever I need for me and my children. Overall, a great place to stay at a great price. Will recommend 100%

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your review. It is our pleasure to make everyone's stay as comfortable as we can away from home. I will share your comment with my staff and hope to see you again!
Warwick, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Lisa Lobbia happened to be running the front desk when I stumbled in from the cold asking if Ref Roof Inn might some way, some how have jumper cables. A diagnostic a few days later at Monro where I bought the 84 month battery revealed dead cells & a shorted positive battery cable - the longer of the two that tapers to the starter. Having contacted Monro Corporate the Glenolden PA manager did provide a courtesy oil & filter change upon request since the battery checked A-ok two days before Christmas and now this? Warranty issues are still pending. But I digress. The ability to start my truck once a donor vehicle was tracked down I was on my way with wife & Yorkshire Terrier just as delighted to continue our travels. What Red Roof had not been informed is that I had been a stranded guest of the facility next door - Motel6 whose staff & management had no jumper cables - only one worker drove a car and they had left for the day- maybe - with no way of knowing if or when they would return! Used to stay at Red Roof Inn at a different nearby location. Until learning they aren't just pet friendly like Motel6 but also bill for pets :-( A clerk called the room to jack up the bill on one occasion. Thought she was scamming, called booking agent & RRI corporate. They don't mention pet billing at the site or have posted signs on-site. Anyway, TY, TY, TY - great save by RRI, make 10 lb doggies free & you'll have our monthly business & referrals back. Please give Lisa Lobbia a raise & a pizza party for the rest of the Essington PA RRI staff & management! TTFN

• Stayed March 2014
Julia C, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear Sir. Thank you so much for your kind words. We always try to have items at the desk available for the guests if and when they might need something. Cable Jumpers happens to be one of them, we have umbrellas so you never have to get wet going to your car, we have a sewing kit if anyone ever had an oops. We try to add more WOW to everyone's stay so we thank you again and we hope to see you soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

If you are looking for a five star hotel, this is not the place...BUT but when you have no electricity or heat at your residence, it is a suitably clean place to lay your head. It was also a dog friendly establishment, which was a plus in my book and the rates were affordable..

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest, we may not be a 5 star hotel on paper but we still treat and care about our guests like a 5 star. I thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again in better circumstances than loosing power at your home.
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I was planning a overnight getaway for my hubby and I just for a date night away from the kids nothing fancy. So i went online to make reservations since red roof inn isn't too far. Afterwards I called to find out the check in time so i could plan our day and was told that check in is usually 3pm but would have to call on that day to make sure my room was ready even after making reservations and if your room isn't ready and you cancel on the day of, you will still be charged. I immediately canceled my reservation and made other plans. I rather not even take my chances.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs. Strand, thank you for your review. Every hotel has a check in/out time, ours happens to be at 3pm, the reason we ask guests to call us is to see if we have rooms available earlier so we can get you into your room earlier. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding and I do not want that to deter you from your future stays with us. Thank you again for your review.
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

The door handle assured me the room was "100% Smoke Free," but when I entered it smelled like it had just been smoked in.
The sheets were stained.
I had paid for a cab to get there, since there was no shuttle, and it's the middle of winter, so I was stranded. I walked over ice around the huge snow drift to the Denny's next door, while people in cars creepily stared at me.
This was one of the hotels US Airways "covers" with their vouchers, which means absolutely nothing; the "offered" price of $80 was the same as that listed on the neon sign outside the hotel. I've stayed in better hotels, not in suburban Pennsylvania, for a third of that.
No shampoo, no conditioner, bad Wifi, questionable linens of all kinds.
I should've slept at the airport.

Never stay at this hotel for any reason.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Julia C, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Myster R, thank you so much for your review. We take everyone's comments and reviews very seriously. I am sorry we did not meet your expectation. Our rooms are 100% non smoking and we hope that everyone would respect that policy but unfortunately some don't. Again, my sincerest apology for your stay and I hope you will give us another chance in your future travels.
New City, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Nothing special, but it met our needs for one night. The room was clean and appeared to be recently updated, although a bit cramped for a family of four. The bathroom in particular was very small. My only real complaint was that the mattress was too soft. So, my back was sore when I woke up.

We stayed here after visiting family in the area. The next morning, we headed into Philly for some sightseeing. The hotel is right off I-95 and we were at Independence Hall in just 15 minutes (it was a Sunday morning).

This property does not offer breakfast, but is right next to a Denny's.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for your review. I am sorry our mattress was too soft. I will share your comments with our staff and we will continue to improve our quality. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon in your future travels.

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!