You added The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   76 Industrial Highway, Essington, PA 19029 (Formerly Ramada Philadelphia Airport)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Essington
“Awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2005

Stayed here in July 2005. All of the other reviews are, unfortunately, correct. This is just an awful excuse for a hotel.

Lobby area does not look bad. But rooms are in bad shape. Floor was not clean. Bedsheets were not tucked in at all, and there was a very tiny mattress protector.

Philly is hot and humid in the summer, so you need to turn on your air conditioner. The one in our room gave out incredibly loud bumpy noises, and repeatedly turned on and off throughout the night, so you cannot sleep. On the other hand, if you turn it off, it will get so hot and humid that you cannot sleep. If you actually want to sleep, go somewhere else.

The Ramada uses a key card system. Every day we were there, we had to get our keys scanned so that our door would open. Highly inconvenient and annoying.

Finally, I must say that the room service food was pretty good. But even here there was an irritation. Although an 15% or 18% "service charge" is added to the bill, if you charge it to your room, the delivery person will have you sign a charge slip which asks whether you want to add a "tip." Isn't that what a "service charge" is for? These people have a lot of nerve to charge a mandatory tip, and then ask you to give more on top of that.

Overall, a highly unpleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2005

My company has a direct bill arrangement with this hotel, and consequently booked myself and a colleague to stay there on Friday night, 08/13. On arrival at the airport, I called to check on the shuttle. I was told to call back when I had all my luggage, no pleasantries or other greetings, followed by the operator hanging up on me. Not a good first impression. After retrieving our luggage, I called again, and we went outside. The shuttle arrived within 10 minutes and transfered us to the hotel. We arrived at the hotel at 12.45am. The desk clerk (un-named, since she was not wearing a tag) asked our names, and then advised that she had no record of our reservations. She then handed us over to another employee who was working with her. Her attitude left a lot to be desired, exhibiting a complete lack of interest in us or the fact that we had no reservation. At no point did she apologize or give any indication that she cared. After more than half an hour, she was finally able to allocate us rooms, however this was only after my insistence that she needed to do something. Both these employees showed a complete lack of training or customer service skills. No manager was on duty or available at the time we arrived. My company is a hospitality management provider, and I travel frequently on business, staying often at hotels around the world. I can honestly say that this hotel in Essington provided the worst impression of any hotel I have used in a long time. Would I stay there again? Absolutely not. Will I be recommending to my company that we cease using this property? You bet. Will this put me off staying at Ramada properties again in the future? You bet.

These things can happen, and this is by no means the first time that I have arrived at a hotel to find no record of my reservation, however the way the situation is handled by the staff on duty, and the speed and method in which the situation is resolved makes the difference between it being a minor inconvenience or (as in this case) an extremely unpleasant experience.

When we finally got to the rooms, the best description would be 'tired' - poor decoration, old furnishings, poorly functioning AC, balcony door that did not lock, the list goes on.

Stay somewhere else. Whatever you pay, it is to much.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
Long Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2005

There isn't much I can say that others haven't already said. Bottom line, this hotel is very old and poorly maintained. We got stuck here when US Airways screwed up our connection. After seeing the way US Airways runs an airline and the way the management at this place runs a hotel, I can say with great certainty that I won't be flying with or staying at either of them ever again! It took several hours after I woke up for the reaction I had to whatever allergens were in my room room to subside...and I don't even have allergies!!! My eyes were puffy, my throat was scratchy, my ears were itchy, and I was sneezing. I just felt like crap in general and that stuff almost never happens to me.

Some other things I want to note:

1) We watched a baby bird fall out of a light fixture and die right in front of us. The front entrance is overrun with birds.

2) The bartender tried to build and extra $5 into our check to "self tip". We only went in there for some chicken fingers and a sandwich after we walked into the restaurant and saw some of the seediest characters you can imagine. We were the only ones in the bar but the staff still found a way to ignore us most of the time we were there.

3) We arrived at 11:30 AM and were told to come back for our room in an hour. When we came back at 12:30 PM, which was 1 hour later by my calculations, the woman at the front desk acted as if she had never seen us before and told us nothing would be ready for several hours.

Stay away, there are many other hotels right on the same street.

• Stayed June 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2005

This is a copy of a letter sent to Mr. Keith Pierce, President of Ramada, following a stay at the Philadelphia Airport South Ramada in Essington, PA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Pierce:

I am disappointed to report an uncomfortable night's stay at the Philadelphia Airport Ramada, on Thursday April 21st 2005.

We decided to stay at the Philadelphia Airport location to take advantage of the convenient 'park, sleep & fly' offer, which allowed us to stay for one night and use the adjacent long-term parking lot for the next several days while out of town. The price was attractive. We made our reservation directly with the hotel, and the staff was friendly and helpful over the phone. In fact, all the employees we encountered pleasant and courteous.

My dissatisfaction is with the condition of the building itself and the quality of the housekeeping. It was appalling -- not at all what I'd expect from a national hotel chain. All the public areas we visited looked worn and uninviting. The elevator, the hallway on our floor, and our room all smelled of smoke, despite it being designated a non-smoking floor. Our 7th-floor hallway lighting was dim, the carpets were stained, and repairs had been done in a sloppy manner.

Room service food trays with unfinished meals that were in the hall when we checked in (around 8PM) were still there in the morning. This despite the presence on the floor of housekeeping staff, who were chambering other rooms at the time.

In our room, the bed linens were of poor quality, with the sheets, in particular, uncomfortable and scratchy. Perhaps the most troubling item was the condition of the bathroom. It simply is not acceptable to find black mold on the grout between tiles, hairs (!) in the tub, and stains on the walls and other surfaces after a room has been made up. And seeing this, of course, leads one to wonder what other items and areas have not been properly cleaned.

I must caution you that I am not alone in my concerns. A number of comments on the travel's website, www.tripadvisor.com, convey similar sentiments. These are not encouraging signs for your potential customers, and ones you would do well to correct as soon as possible. Read them here:

Because we had very little time at the property -- only one night's stay, and an very early departure the following morning -- I did not relay my concerns to the hotel staff. But I felt it important to communicate them to you, as the head of the organization. I urge you inspect the property yourself. I'm sure you'll agree that you can do much, much better.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!