“OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center

Save Saved
You added The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   76 Industrial Highway, Essington, PA 19029 (Formerly Ramada Philadelphia Airport)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 7 hotels in Essington
Palo Alto, California
“OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

If you need a quiet, clean place to sleep this is a good option. Staff is very pleasant. There is nothing upscale about this place. Best part was the staff.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
DJester, Manager at The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Ramada Philadelphia Airport.

Please understand that you comments play a pivital role in the services we provide. Since your stay we have made a few changes.

Our new chef Tony DiCarlo is completely revamping all of the menu's to provide a better dining experience. With new, better options, bold flavors and better pricing we hope that more of our guest's can enjoy the convenience of a Restaurant onsite.

Gabriella's Restaurant and the Flier's Lounge are going to be completely redesigned during the $3.5 million renovation that started this month.

The guest rooms will be more convenient and comfortable thanks to the ugraded technology and soft goods. We hope that yoiu will give us another chance to really wow you after the renovations are completed on OCtober 1st, 2012

If you have any questions or need accommodations please don't hesitate to contect me at my desk 610-521-9600 ext.1167 or via email djester@ramadaphl.com

402 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

General Manager of Ramada Inn:
I wanted to bring to your attention how impressed I was with the customer service I received from your staff at the Ramada Inn-Philadelphia last night. My daughter had missed her connecting flight yesterday evening on US Airways. There were no other connecting flights going out last night so I needed to book her a hotel room near the airport. I went down the list of hotels near the airport and started calling. All of the responses were “Sorry we are booked”. I finally got through to Oretta at Ramada Inn-Philadelphia (610)521-9600 and her reply was that their hotel was also sold out for the night. I then explained to her that I had a daughter traveling alone who was stranded in a city she had never been to before and needed a room for the night. After hearing my dilemma, she was so compassionate on the phone and proceeded to say she would see what she could do. When she got back on the phone, she had a room available for my daughter.
The great customer service didn’t end there. She transferred me to a lady by the name of Bonnnie, who works in the shuttle service area. Bonnie was amazing. She explained to me what my daughter needed to do to contact her regarding a ride to the Ramada Inn. She could see I was a little concerned, like a mother would be, having a daughter stranded at an airport she wasn’t familiar with. Bonnie took down my home phone number and said she would contact me once our daughter was on the shuttle bus to the hotel. Only a few minutes later, Bonnie was calling me to let me know she was on the courtesy bus and headed to the hotel. The reason she volunteered to do this was because my daughter’s cell phone had a very low battery left and was cutting in and out. I didn’t even ask Bonnie to do this. She volunteered.
This type of customer service doesn’t happen that often in the hospitality business industry. These two employees represent what core values should be in this industry. Your two staff members, Oretta and Bonnie, went the extra mile to assist my daughter, making her overnight stay so much less stressful than it could have been. I appreciate everything they did for her.
Management should be very proud to have Oretta and Bonnie employed at the Ramada Inn-Philadelphia.

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for letting us know about your experience with us. I know that Oreta was so pleased that she was able to help you during your time of need. I know that you must have been extremely frustrated being so far away from your daughter during a situation like that.

Oreta and Bonnie are shining examples of the core value's in customer service that you should always receive and we are very proud to have both of them here with us. And i know that they are proud to know how much they both helped.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

I would guess that this hotel was built in the early 1980's and I would also guess that the rooms have not been renovated since that time. Every aspect of the room is old. The beds with their 1980's canary yellow bedspread are not comfortable in any way, there is outdated forest green carpet. Most of the TV channels that they have are no longer available. The same ESPN channel is on four different channels, CNN exists in audio only (there is only a dark screen), no FOX News, and MSNBC is a channel that the list of channels on the bedside table (it says channel 66) but it is not there either. There is a smell of humidity throughout the hotel. Wouldn't go as far as saying that it is mold, but it is not a pleasant smell. This really isn't the greatest area when it comes to location. There is a Denny's and a local diner just down the street and a Harrah's Casino just down the road. Other than that, there really is nothing. Looking out of my window, I see that there is a Comfort Inn just down the street (about 1/4 mile) The Denny's and diner are just beside that hotel. It looks much newer and I can guarantee that it is a MUCH cleaner hotel. About the only positive thing I can say about this hotel is that there is a van service to/from the airport and I was picked up within a couple of minutes of calling.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
DJester, Revenue Manager at The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Thank you for letting us know about you recent stay.

The hotel was built in 1976 and the most recent renovation was in 2008. We are planning a $3.5 Million renovation to begin this summer.

You will be surprised when you see the hotel when it's done. We are cleaning up the interior and exterior of the building including all of the public spaces.

All of the soft goods, the bathroom areas and the technology in the rooms will be replaced as well to ensure our guests are as comfortable as possible.

We are currently sourcing out options for T.V. service and your comments will help us make an informed decision.

As far as the humid smell in the hotel. We are right across the road from a wildlife park/swamp and next to the Delaware river which can cause an odor sometimes. That being said we are very diligent with our efforts to make sure that each room is thoroughly cleaned and has a fresh clean smell.

We do offer complimentary transportation (when available) to Harrah's. And we have Gabriella’s restaurant and Flier's Lounge in the lobby directly across from the Front Desk.

I will make sure that our transportation department see’s your comment about the shuttle.

I hope that you will give the Ramada another chance to show you the level of service and quality that all our guest have come to expect from us.
the town
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

Hotel being renovated, smells like a smoke chimney, bad customer service (requested extra towels/never got them), Hotel and room was very smoky and moldy (everyone woke up feeling sick), no mini refridgerator or microwave in the bedroom, and the balcony had protrusions of cracked concrete from the baclony above... had to make sure no one went out there (could have hurt the kids)...!!

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel, period.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
DJester, Revenue Manager at The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 18, 2011
Thank you for choosing the Ramada Philadelphia Airport for your stay and for taking the time out of your schedule to submit a review.

I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Unfortunately the majority of our rooms do not come standard with a refridgerator and microwave, but they avaliable on request.

We would like to show you that the issue's you encountered are not our typical level of service that we deliver and we would like the opportunity to show you the level of service you desire and deserve on your next visit, should you choose to stay with us again.

I would appreiciate If you would provide me with your booking/reservation information so we can reserch the issue's you mentioned and make the proper corrections.

Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed those expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Please know that we value your feedback as a vital part of improving the level of service and comfort.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

Donald Jester
Revenue Manager
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

We stayed here overnight so we can catch a 6:30am flight the next morning. We have 2 kids (1 1/2 yr old and 4 year old). We parked at the parking lot (left the car for a week) and took the shuttle in the morning to catch our flight. Simple and stress free.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
DJester, Manager at The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write such a nice review about the Ramada Philadelphia AIrport.

It's good to hear that your stay was comfortable and that the services we offer lived up to your expectations. We know that even though there are many options in the Philadelphia Airport area our guest's truly appreciate the dedication and time that is needed to make sure our guests need's are taken care of.

Thank you again for you review. And we hope to see your again soon
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Our family of 4 stayed at the Ramada a couple of years back and again a few weeks ago. We were pleasantly surprised by how much the hotel has changed since. It’s refreshing to see a hotel by the airport that’s affordable and cares enough to make major investments without adjusting its rate. Initially, we were reluctant to stay at this hotel again because we were disappointed when we first stayed there, but didn’t have a choice since we booked our reservations at the last minute and had to take what was available. We knew the hotel a couple years ago was just ‘adequate’ so we wanted something nicer. Well, during our recent trip we were astonished by the beautiful renovations, the friendly staff and most importantly, the cleanliness of the hotel room. Our only disappointment, which has to do with structure, is that the hotel didn’t have an indoor pool. However, there’s a decent outdoor pool, which didn’t help us much since it was so cold. Happy traveling.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
DJester, Manager at The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Thank you for giving the Ramada a second chance to impress you. I am glad that we were able to make your stay comfortable.

While every hotel has it's ups and downs it can be very difficult to wow a guest that has had a negative experience in the past. We are constantly working on techniques and training to ensure our guest's recieve the highest service. We are have just started a $3.5 million renovation to improve the look and feel of the hotel. With new linens, technology and improved training we hope our guest's will really see that we are try very hard to provide the best experience we can.

We have taken every step possible to ensure our guest's staying during the renovation will not be disrupted. Please visit us again after the renovations are completed on October 1st, 2012 to see what we have done. Or stay while the renovations are in progress and you'll see just hw much you patronage means to us.

Have a great day
Upstate NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Outdoor seasonal pool (closed at time of our stay). The room was just OK. No microwave or mini-fridge. The TV was old and reception terrible. No complimentary breakfast. There is an EXPENSIVE hotel restaurant and a busy Denny's down the street, but nothing else nearby! The overall value was poor.

Room Tip: Don't use Priceline!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to let us know about your stay. I am very sorry that your time with us was less than satisfactory.

We have made great progress since April to provide a better experience to our guests. Such as a new Chef with exciting new flavor combinations and suppliers who offer product of the highest quality at reasonable prices in Gabriella's Restaurant and the Fliers Lounge.

Our Housekeeping staff is constantly evolving the standards of cleanliness so our guest's don't have to worry about a dirt and grime when they get here.

Because of all the comments we have recieved this year we decided that it was about time for a renovation. So starting this summer we began a $3.5 Million renovation. This renovation will cover everything that our guest's want including new soft goods and echnology in the rooms. New exterior styling and landscaping. And a new Restaurant/Lounge to create a friendlier, open atmosphere.

I hope you will give all of us at the Ramada Philadelphia Airport another chance to provide the best service available when the renovations are completed on October 1st, 2011.

Been to The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!