“Ho Hum - Very Basic” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 Taylor Avenue, Essington, PA 19029 (Formerly The Waterfront Inn Lago)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 20%!
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Essington
London, Canada
“Ho Hum - Very Basic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is out of the way, near airport.

Pros -

Free parking
Free Wifi
Free breakfast (well, the most basic type of course)

Cons -

Just a dry location
Nothing to do near by
20 mins to Downtown Philly

If you need a place to rest your head, and want a cheaper rate than the ridiculous downtown rates, this is a safe choice. There is zero wow factor but it is clean if not a tad stuffy. Worth it if money is an issue and you can snag it for $80 or so.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the lobby and also 2nd floor overlooking marina.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
W B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for posting on TripAdvisor. Your review was discussed amoungst the staff and we set in motion some action steps to see if we can create the Wow factor that was missing during your recent stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Just your average Holiday Inn. Beware there is a restaurant adjacent to the hotel by day that turns into a club by night. The hotel is on the water but it is by no means a picturesque scene. Breakfast was your average Holiday Inn continental breakfast. The room and bedding was clean but the bathroom could have used a little more elbow grease. No pool. Near the airport. We took the hotel shuttle to the airport to catch the SEPTA several times with no problems. This hotel is for the budget minded people who don't want to pay the downtown expensive hotel rates.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
W B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for posting on TripAdvisor. As I do with all postings we have a weekly meeting here and I will be sharing your comments with the staff to see what area's we can approve upon.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

There are times - sadly few and far between - where you stay at a hotel and are impressed in every regard - this was one of those times. The shuttle drivers are amazing - we had one each day and they were friendly, helpful and just awesome. We stayed on the 4th of July, and while some people may have been grumpy about having to work he was far from it. He asked us all about our trip and gave us some dinner suggestions even offering to drive us if we needed since the resturant next door was closed. The next day, we had a different man drive us back to the airport and again he was super friendly and helpful.

Check in was a breeze, and the person on was excellent. He was joking and laughing with us, and also provided some suggestions for dinner along with menus and his thoughts. Again, despite it being a holiday he was in an excellent mood and appeared devoted to making our stay the best possible even though it was just for a night.

The room was great - very large with a really comfortable bed. There was a fridge, microwave and great TV. We ended up ordering in, and the front desk recommendation was spot on. So many times I have ordered in a hotel and got horrible food, but this place was great.

The hotel seems a a bit worn in the hallways and outside, but truly that is such a small thing that doesn't impact your stay at all. The breakfast was great, the room was awesome and the staff were fantastic. This hotel is a gem and I will definitely stay here again when I am in the area. I have stayed at a large number of Holiday Inns and without a doubt this one has the best staff I have encountered.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
W B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Chantal...thank you for posting your thoughts on TripAdvisor. On behalf of the entire staff here at the hotel I want to thank you for your thoughtful & kind comments regarding the staff. I have posted your review were everyone can enjoy reading your comments. We hope we can be your home away from home the next time you are in our area.
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My friend and I stayed for one night - we flew in to see the Rolling Stones concert - and everyone at the hotel was friendly and helpful. Kudos to Dave, our shuttle driver, who helped us figure out the train and subway connections. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
W B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thanks for posting your review on TripAdvisor. On behalf of the entire staff I want to thank you for your kind words. I see where you mentioned Dave, one of our van drivers. Well, just yesterday Dave won our May "Employee of the Month Award"! Hope the Stones concert was a great night for you & your friend. Take care and thank you again.
Hartford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I strongly recommend you stay here if you have an early morning flight. Free shuttle and free parking (Penns Landing HI Express costs $25 per night to park). The staff is friendly and very helpful. The hotel is located on the water and next to a decent restaurant, the Deck. All the usual HI Express amenities and Philadelphia hospitality to boot! This is my new choice for a hotel when visiting Philadelphia.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
On behalf of everyone here at the hotel we want to THANK YOU for posting on TripAdvisor! We were especially happy to here that our hotel is your new choice for a hotel when visiting Philadelphia. That comment says alot and we greatly appreciate it. Hope to see you soon!
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The staff of this Holiday Inn Express made what would have been a difficult week for me, a "Wonderful Week"

My first contact started with Ray, one of the shuttle drivers. He was most helpful and very knowledgeable of local history, which was something I enjoy very much.

My second contact was with the one and only, Tarshia. She is a great asset to your team. I ran into a problem with my credit card but with Tarshia help, the problem was SOON taken care of and I was relaxing in my room.

My third contact, which was not made until early the next morning, was Judy, who does a excellent job of feeding the many. Judy was a joy and helped get my day off to a great start each morning. I also learned of her many years with this Inn and some of the famous people she has helped through the years. If you stay here someday, be sure to ask her about the famous.

I must stop but before I do, here are some others who made my week wonderful, Ed, David, and all the team who I didn't meet but I saw the results of their work everyday when I returned to the Inn.

Its not unusual to encounter problems as we go through life BUT with people as these at the Essington HIE, you too can have a WONDERFUL WEEK!!!!

Room Tip: Please ask for rooms with a refigerator and microwave, not a rooms come with these.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
W B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Wow...what a memory you have regarding names of the employee's you encountered during your stay at our hotel. I posted your review thru out the hotel so the employee's could read all your wonderful comments regarding your stay, it made them feel very proud. I behalf of everyone here we want to say Thank YOU!
poconos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We needed a overnight stay to catch an early morning flight from Philadelphia to LA. and also on the return trip since it was a late flight back. Parking was FREE and they also have a free shuttle back and forth to the airport and the driver was very nice and helpful. The room was very modern and clean, a light grab and go breakfast was also included.

Where I was impressed was how this staff was so helpful. My mother had left her prized possession, her iPad behind in the room and the staff made sure that they obtained it and held it for us at the front desk until our return flight. This is not usually the case with larger hotel chains like the Westin In Virginia Beach. A few years ago I personally left an item behind and after many months of phone calls and letters they never even apologized or even returned my phone calls. So always read your reviews!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your review. On behalf of the entire staff I want to thank you for your kind comments and I was glad to hear we were able to secure your mother's I-Pad. We look forward to being of service to you in the future and the many guests your review will send our way.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!