“Good location for car park” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Essington
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good location for car park”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Staying at a hotel the night before an early morning Philadelphia departure flight is very convenient especially when their van service is reliable. The front desk check in was efficient. She recommended that we set up a pick-up time for the van that day for the morning. That was a good idea since sometimes people do not reserve the van and can't get on the van at the time they want.

The room was clean other than the mattress having dips it the king mattress. There is a Denny's diner next door making it easy to have a lunch. Denny's appeared to be a little understaffed that particular shift. Wyndham was renovating the restaurant downstairs, but we ate there for dinner having some cocktails, wings and some pizza. Food was okay. Van shuttle to the airport in the morning was timely.

RECOMMENDATION: Be sure to have the correct van shuttle phone number to call them after you have your bags. Hotel van shuttles pick up at the number 4 signs at the arrivals area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
EdPuodziunas, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel - Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are glad to hear that everything worked out with your stay and the shuttle worked for you getting you to and from the airport. The wings and pizza is pretty good. Once our renovation is complete we look forward to rolling out a whole new menu.

865 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I made a reservation for Wyndham online thru a 3rd party site. i was quite pleased knowing that i have had great experiences each time i stayed there at other locations. I had read several reviews for the hotel since I hadn't stayed there before. The same thing came up in several reviews - the lack of customer service with the front desk. rude & unhelpful were common referrals. I thought it wouldn't happen to me because I generally don't have experiences like those. I was wrong. It started by calling the hotel to get a HANDICAP ACCESSIBLE room w/2 beds before checking in. The person I was traveling with is elderly, uses a rolator & has difficult walking distances. The female who answered the phone at the front desk (she had an accent, but i'm not sure what country) answered. She was one of the most rude women I believe I've ever spoken with over the phone in any service capacity. She said she couldn't do anything for the room until check-in. She was speaking over me as I spoke and continued to do it even after I brought it to her attention. She couldn't stop talking to listen. Since she was so unhelpful, I asked to speak w/the manager. She transferred me to a voice mail for Ed. I didn't leave a message, but called back and said I'd like to speak with Ed directly & not the voice mail. Her reply 'He's not in my pocket. I don't know where he is'. I gave up & decided to change my plans so I could get to the hotel earlier so I could get a room closed to handicap parking that was accessible. The fellow that helped me at the front desk was nothing like the female I'd spoken with before. He was pleasant. His badge said he was a trainee. After checking in smoothly, I put my things down & used the restroom. When I flushed the toilet, the cap came off of one of the screws that hold down the toilet and water spewed from around the screw like a fountain. I was calling the front desk and noticed that there was a charger plugged into the wall and the cord stretched past the nightstand between the beds. There were a couple of pennies, a nickel and some nail clippings, so it hadn't been cleaned. The TOPPER for this room was when the person who was with me was sitting by the desk while I was on the phone in our room, they opened the desk drawer and there was a pair of UNDERWEAR in the drawer. The front desk sent someone down to the room to check out the bathroom and he said we'd have to change rooms because fixing the bathroom would be an all day job. I took pictures of the underwear in the drawer and of the items on the floor and headed to the front desk so I could let him know that in addition to the toilet, the room was inadequately cleaned. He was very nice, apologized & gave me a new key. I went to the room and gave it a quick look, trying the water pressure in the shower, the flushing on the toilet, the sink to be sure there was water, turned on the tv, and adjusted the AC. Because I had changed my plans to get there early so I could get a handicap room, I left and returned about 2:00a.m. I got dressed for bed and turned down the bedsheets and there was a large brown stain that was on the fitted sheet & flat sheet also, so it couldn't have been just a stain left after washing. I again called the front desk. The phone rang probably 10 times and another female (with no accent) answered the phone. Her tone seemed as though she was annoyed picking up the phone. I explained that I'd just gotten back, turned back the bed and there was a big stain on the bed. It also looked like the fitted sheet wasn't straight - as if the bed had just been spread up rather than changed from the last guest. She said that there was no one in housekeeping until morning. She said we'd have to change rooms and had to come to the front desk to get the key. I asked if there was anyway she could drop off the key or have someone drop it off and get a room close to where we were so we wouldn't have to get dressed to move if it was very close. She refused & said that there was no way. I asked again if there was anyone that could even bring the linens & I could change it. She reiterated again that no one in housekeeping was there and then she put me on 'hold'. I heard her say to someone that this lady wants her bed made up now. I apologized to her because I felt as though I'd inconvenienced her by calling. A little while later, a knock at the door with a gentleman who quickly changed the bed. I asked him if the lady at the front desk was having a bad night. He said he didn't think so and asked why. I said that she seemed really curt and extremely short with me. I asked when the manager would be in because my experience there hadn't been a good one so far. He said it would be about 8am. Unfortunately I was running late the next morning & didn't get a chance to speak with the manager before I had to leave & didn't return until very late again that night. While I was out, I checked another hotel to see if there was availability because I honestly did not even want to stay the second night.Unfortunately there was no availability at the other nearby hotel for 2 beds for that night. Since our reservation was for 2 nights, after the 1st night and all of the issues between the required change of plans to ensure a handicap room, the underwear in the drawer, nail clippings and change in the floor, the toilet turning into a small fountain. . In addition to the room issues, in the hall, the dust in the hotel near the walls where the vacuuming doesn't pull from without either sweeping the dirt out so the cleaner can pick it up or an attachment is used on the vacuum, it doesn't pick up. The space about 4 or 5 inches worth of space from the crown molding towards the center of the carpet, had a light grey cast (the carpet edges were very dark chocolate). There were a couple of bobby pins and a screw that were there 3 days (2 nights) in the hall, so I'm not sure how often they are cleaned either. Between the inadequate, inability from the front desk to help with a simple assessable room request, resolve situations, and most of all, the lack of cleanliness, although I have never filed a formal complaint for a hotel, I felt that this warranted it. I hope that this will help improve service for others who may decide to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide your details on your visit with us. It is our ultimately goal to ensure that every guest has a complete, satisfactory experience while staying with us, and in reviewing your comments we fell well short of that goal. I have shared your specific comments with each department manager and staff member, so that as a team we can improve our overall service to all of our guests. I do apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced while with us, and I can assure you that should you give us another chance you will have a whole new, and improve stay with us. Thank you again.
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were in town for a concert, so only needed a one night stay. Most of the hotels in the area were a lot more expensive, so this fit our needs for the night. It was in a pretty good location, and the room was clean. The staff seemed to go out of their way to be nice and also helpful. We really appreciated that. The elevators are really far from the desk, but it was okay. There is no continental breakfast, but there is a Denny's very close by, which was good. I would recommend this hotel for an overnight stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for staying with us and providing your comments. We appreciate your feedback on the quality of the room and staff. I do apologize for the distance to the elevators. As an older building, we are assuming they didn't have a guest or hotel person review the designs. We hope you had a great time at the concert, and look forward to opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

As long as the room is clean (it was), the price is right (close), and you feel safe (mostly), you can't ask a lot more from a Philly airport hotel. Bar and restaurant were being remodeled, but the bar was still running and the food was pretty good. Be sure to make your airport shuttle reservations as soon as you can, or it fills up.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We are happy to see that we met your needs and requirements. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Our restaurant/bar will be completely renovated within the next month, so be prepared to see a terrific new menu come out. Thanks again for staying with us.
Frederick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Your cleaning service (maid) need to pay attention to detail. When my wife went to use the Ice bucket and the coffee unit both were caked with dust. The front desk took care of the need. Other-wise a nice place to stay outside Philly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Thank you for staying with us as well as providing the details on the housekeeping issue. Your comments have been shared with the housekeeping department to address. We are glad to hear that everything else was ok and that you like the location as it relations to the city. we are an easy drive right up I-95 North to get into center city or the sports complex. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Been to Wyndham Garden Hotel - Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!