“So good we came back” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7865 Perry Highway, Erie, PA 16509   |
Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Erie
“So good we came back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay at the Red Roof Inn in Erie, PA the first week of May, we stayed again when we returned to Upstate New York this past week! It's the only place around that allows pets at no charge. I'm pretty sure we even had the same room, by chance. This time around, though, we traveled with an extra person so we booked her a room too. She appreciated the very affordable rate, as do we. Everything we appreciated on our last stay was as before-- clean inside and out, friendly, courteous staff, comfortable bed, slept great, laminate wood floors perfect for traveling with a dog, and yummy, fresh breakfast muffin. Our only detraction is we still had spillage from the tub, both when soaking in the tub and showering. The Red Roof Inn we stayed at in Maumee, OH on our return to Chicago had an identical bathroom to Erie's and the floor stayed dry, which means the problem can't be the overall design of the tub; it might be unique to that particular tub (rm. 140, mgmt.). We were prepared this time though and dried off in the tub first, then dropped our towels on the floor to soak up the water before stepping out. We didn't mind it, but only mention it as a courtesy to mgmt.: this is a serious liability hazard. Slipping in the bathroom poses a serious injury risk to a guest. Aside from that, however, everything else was excellent. I have read some comments that the bathrooms are too small. The space is compact, but we much prefer the economy of a compact design for a one-night stay than a more roomy bathroom at a considerably higher rate. We were so pleased, I just had to review again to recommend this Inn to anyone stopping overnight in the Erie, PA region.

• Stayed June 2013
jgdanetz, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Erie, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and for writing another review of your stay experience! I am so glad that we were able to provide you with a clean, affordable room and that you enjoyed our RediSetGo breakfast! I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with your tub. I do appreciate the tip though and I will make sure to have my maintenance take a look to see if perhaps it is bad caulking or if a pipe needs tightened. I am glad that you would offer up such a gracious recommendation of our hotel and hope that we might be lucky enough to have a third in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Let me start by saying we were four couples arriving early Friday for a weekend of guys golfing and girls shopping. We arrived at the hotel really early and just hoped to leave our bags (to make room for shopping) and the girl at the desk went above and beyond trying to accommodate us. She left the desk for a minute to see if our assigned rooms were vacated and came back to tell us she would let us put our bags and coolers in a room. She apologized it was not cleaned yet from the previous guests but if we did not mind we could store our stuff. What service! I really wish I could remember her name!! We returned to the hotel and we were happily in four rooms all beside and across from each other. The rooms are larger than some of the hotels I have stayed in however as in the previous rating the bathroom is small. The room was clean and the removal of the carpets made for a clean feeling room. Loved the renovations apparently done recently. The maid, the front desk staff were all friendly however I do not want to forget to mention the maintenance man. We had a issue with one of the door locks. The maid called for maintenance and he showed up just a few minutes later. He was hilarious and very much enjoying his job. He fixed the door and all was well. Everyone we came into contact with was friendly. This hotel is close to the shopping areas of Erie (one exit over) The only down side was the noise from the highway was a bit loud to the two couples on that side of the building however our side was quite...........however the view was of the parking lot. All in all would stay there again!

Room Tip: try and ask for the parking lot side and not the highway side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Let me start by thanking you for writing such a wonderful review of our hotel! I could not be happier to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much! I believe that the Front Desk GSR that you spoke with was Joyce. And the GSR who fixed your lock was named Dane. We are very lucky to have such great employees here who make this job an easy and fun place. Thank you as well for complimenting the cleanliness of your rooms and the overall friendliness of my staff. We appreciate very much that you would keep us in mind for future travel plans as we hope to see you soon!
Williamstown, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

A short history first.
We have stated at the Red Roof Inn in Jamestown, NY for the past 15 years with no trouble. Their staff was excellent as was their pricing. This year our club decided to fish Presque Isle in Erie. Our friends in Jamestown set us up with the 'Friends and Family' discount which was processed and confirmed twice, the second time with a printed rate sheet. Upon arrival, we were advised that they could not and would not honor the voucher. Very poor business practice in my opinion. Furthermore, we were awakened know the middle of the night by water pouring from our ceiling onto the bed. We contacted management and even though rooms were vacant next to us, our only option was to relocate to another building. Since we had a boat and several room items, that was very inconvenient. Parking isn't for boats so if you fish, don't stop. If you get a reduction in standard over priced room rate, don't bet on it. Bathrooms are extremely small, a cat would have trouble turning around. Pillows are nice. Highway is noisy. The general manager really needs to take a course on standing behind a printed quote.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We appreciate all of our guest’s comments regardless if it be of a glowing response or an unpleasant experience. I am sorry that yours has fallen into the latter category and I offer my apologies. There are however a few things I would like to clarify. We do in fact honor all discount certificates, whether they be in the form of a loyalty certificate as a reward via our Redicard program, Employee Travel vouchers or the Friends and Family voucher. I can honestly say that we are one the better hotels that do accept these regardless of the season. However, in order to receive any of these a guest must present to the Front Desk at time of check in the original voucher/certificate and in the case of any voucher be signed by the GM of the issuing hotel. We were unable to honor the rate quoted at the time you made the reservation because you failed to bring in the actual voucher and the issuing Inn could not confirm that a pass had been issued.

New Castle, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Great Value, Clean Room, Friendly Workers. Also you can bring your 4 legged kid at no extra cost. Also the Casino is just down the road. And you get comps to use there. Plus won...Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great value.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of building is quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Red Roof Inn Erie for your hotel when you were in town for the casino! We are very glad that we could help make your stay in Erie an enjoyable one! We welcome all visitors to our town, whether they be here for the casino, fishing, the water park or for our beaches. Also I would like to say that we have been and always will be a pet friendly hotel! Thank you for considering us such a great value. We are always open and look forward to hopefully seeing you again!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a night here traveling back from Niagara falls home to Atlanta. It was a pleasant surprise. The lobby was immaculate and offered coffee 24hrs a day. The hotel staff was very friendly. The nice red headed gentleman at from desk was very helpful, even asking us if we needed directions to anywhere in town.

The rooms were super clean. And had nice laminent flooring. Nice flat screen TV..

The oddest thing I came across at this well put together hotel is the lack of one of the basic necessities: a lock on the bathroom door!!

Looks like they focused so much on updating the rooms that they they forgot sometimes the simplest things get overlooked.

Cons: lack of bathroom door locks In rooms.

• Stayed June 2013
jgdanetz, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Erie, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments about our hotel being above average! My staff and I are all very dedicated to making the Red Roof Inn Erie the friendliest and cleanest hotel around. Thank you for your comments on our Front Desk GSR Dane! He is a very outgoing individual and does very well with guest interacting. He really loves talking to his guests! I am glad that your room did not disappoint and was clean as well. If you are ever in the Erie area again Dane and I would love to have you back!
Catskill, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I've stayed at Red Roofs coast to coast, and the Erie franchise is as well-run as any I've stayed in. Meghan on the front desk was efficient and courteous. She gave us Red Roof comps to the casino--and complimentary bottled water. (We'd stopped in Erie many times but had never visited Presque Isle. Due to Meghan's encourage, we stopped at the casino--and had a ball.) Clean rooms, newly remodeled, quiet, efficient. We'll stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and for considering us such a well-run hotel. While I am very diligent in the daily operations of my hotel, I consider myself lucky to have such a wonderful staff working along with me! They are a huge part of what makes the Red Roof Inn Erie so great. Megan in particular has, since her hire, received nothing but good remarks on her pleasant demeanor from our guests. I am glad that upon Megan's suggestion that you guys decided to venture over to the Casino and ended up having a good time. We love that you enjoyed you entire experience in town and hope that your plans will bring you to Erie again!
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I just recently spent a night at the Red Roof in Erie. We were in Pennsylvania for a shopping trip and after reading the reviews on here decided to book this hotel. We were not disappointed. The staff were friendly, check in was quick, the room was very clean and very accessible from the I-79. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for helping to complete the full Tripadvisor experience by not only reading our reviews, but for staying with us and writing your own review of our hotel! We read all the new reviews for our own as well as other inns and we love hearing that our guests are as active on Tripadvisor as we are. I am glad that we were able to live up to our reputation and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Been to Red Roof Inn Erie? Share your experiences!