“Dirty, see for yourself” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Erie
“Dirty, see for yourself”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

Given the alarms about bed begs, I searched for reviews of the Microtel Inn after Priceline unalterably booked me there. To my dismay, google searches of: 'microtel, erie, dirty' produced a number of reviews by people saying the place was dirty. I phoned priceline to see if I could get the reservation changed, but they said no, it had passed their tests. So, when I got there the first thing I did was to try to pull the bed from the wall; it wouldn't budge, so I pulled the mattress cover back where it had an opening. Good grief, disgusting, dirt paticles, human hairs galore. I went to the desk and they showed me another room; I went through the same procedure. This time pulling back the mattress cover revealed a human hair but not all the debris of the first room. So I went with that rather than go through the hassle of telling Visa that I declined to pay priceline for a room below acceptable standards. I don't recall ever seeing a smaller room for a single bed, but it was usable. The breakfast was the usual sort of fare but acceptable, rather good bagels, poor coffee, make your own waffles, but no butter that I could find. I'd say one should be able to find a better deal for the price. Unfortunately Erie is at a crossroads for traveling from the midwest to the civiization of New York and New England, and there isn't much to choose from in the area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Eagleville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

The title says it all. I didn't have a bad back before I stayed here, but it ached for days after my one night stay. Other than the bed the place is non-descriptive and no frills.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I'll give you the negative and the positive:

If you like a good-sized room, be warned: The rooms here are TINY! They are about half the size of a normal hotel room! (I guess that's why they call it "MICRO-tel". )

There was literally just about enough room for the bed. The other bad thing: they light the place with flourescent lighting. It feels like being in an office. The room feels a bit claustrophobic.

If you are traveling with someone who is not someone you want to share a bed with, don't stay here. Almost all the rooms are single bed rooms. They apparently have a few rooms with two twin beds. That's 'twin' as in 'single' beds. But those rooms were sold out when we got there.

This place was very clean, and they had a pretty nice complimentary breakfast. I consider breakfast a big plus if they do a halfway decent one. They even had a coffee maker that brews each cup individually. Some people complain about because it takes too long (30 seconds) to brew a cup but we liked it because it brews a fresh cup of coffee every time.

Check-in was fine and front desk staff was friendly and even made a few good jokes.

If it weren't for the tiny rooms this would be a reasonably nice 2-star place.

I guess there isn't very much they can do about the size of the rooms now that the place is already built. :(

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Holland, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

We had a room at the end of a corridor on the second floor. The traffic noise was too much. The hotel is at the intersection of a main highway and a main road, so every car with loud exhaust made itself known all night. The folding bed that we got for my daughter was very uncomfortable. At 2:00 a.m. she had enough, so I switched with her, and it was quite unbearable.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights on Memorial Day Weekend. I had read recent negative reviews and was expecting the worst. I suffer from asthma and allergies and hate staying in bad hotels, so I was worried. The room was clean and non-smelling; no mold anywhere, although we stayed on the 2nd floor. The room did resemble a cruise ship cabin, if you got a really cheap cabin.

The bed, which was a double bed, was very comfortable and had crisp linens and great pillows. The air conditioner blew right on my face because of the way it was situated underneath the little bench by the window. I covered half of it with a towel.

The breakfast was great! My only complaint is the labor intensive waffle section. There are two waffle irons and you make your own. One woman took up both irons and made over 6 for her kids! Talk about rude. The coffee maker only made one cup at a time, causing another line. I thought the food was great, once I got some!

There was a free shuttle to the casino and we would certainly stay there again because of it! We also got a $7 in free play coupon from the front desk. There was a business center on the third floor, which I tried my key in, and it woudn't open. The maid mentioned something about having to go to the front desk, but she opened it up for me anyhow. It was fantastic! A beautiful little office and neat!

We would certainly stay here again!

I thought this hotel was great, and fantastic for the price we paid (Hotwire)!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010 via mobile

I would never stay at a Microtel again based on this experience. People slammed in and out of doors all night log, hung outside windows partying, lots of long term guests, customer service was indifferent at best. Workers discussed how uphappy they were with their jobs within ear shot of guests. The only decent part was a fairly good continental breakfast. Should have continued the 4 hours to home instead of stopping for the night.

• Stayed May 2010
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

Without a doubt the worst of the worst!! The room was maybe as big as I imagine a jailcell to be. NO coffee maker or microwave or fridge. Sure you think that's not a problem, you don't need that right!? Think again, after you spend the entire night lyiing wide awake because the beds are completly uncomfortable, the walls are paper thin and your neighbour is totally loud you're gonna wish you had an IV of coffee nevermind a coffee maker. The hot breakfast... oh yah that, in the front lobby you can make yourself your breakfast and see if there is a spot to sit or go back to your cubbyhole bedroom with NO TABLE. AND the fitness room, what they meant to say is the treadmill and bike. that's it!!! I went with my mom for the weekend and was utterly embarassed that I chose this hotel. We barely survived the night and immediatly told them to cancel the rest of our stay. We ended up at the EconoLodge which I highly recommend. I was also told to stay away from the Quality Inn, apparently it is dirty and overall a bad exerience.
STAY AWAY FROM MICROTEL! P.s when we signed out we couldn't even get a receipt from them apparently there computer was down, now I wait for my Visa bill to see how honest they are......

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Microtel Inn by Wyndham Erie? Share your experiences!