“Gross!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Downtown Erie Hotel

Save Saved
You added Downtown Erie Hotel to your Saves list
Downtown Erie Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 West 18th Street, Erie, PA 16501 (Formerly "Holiday Inn")   |
Ranked #32 of 35 Hotels in Erie
Collingwood
“Gross!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This place is a dump! My husband and I had been on the road for 14 hours and just needed a place to sleep for a few hours. We stopped on the interstate and were told everything was full in the area. It was 2 am and we were exhausted. The clerk suggested the Downtowner. I asked if it was decent and he said "it"s clean". Oh my god!! It was filthy! We pulled the blanket and top sheet off and slept fully clothed on top. I could hear a couple fighting next door and there was cigarette smoke coming through the vent in the bathroom, I'm sure some of these rooms are peoples homes! If I thought they would refund my $95 I would rather have slept in the car. Please if you are thinking of staying there RECONSIDER! There is nothing good about this place

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I would not recommend this place to anyone!!
I am very disappointed with Downtown Erie Hotel. After check in when I went to the room, only to find the air conditioner was not working correctly and the room phone was not working either. Went to the front desk, explained the situation, he said the phones were down. The clients in the room next to us, their phone worked fine. An attendant did come to the room, turned the a/c on and off it worked for a few minutes. The phone, he said was working, was not. If there have been an emergency...no phone!! After being told there were no rooms left, the a/c and phone not working, went back down and ask for a refund. I wanted to leave. No room left, they were all taken. This room was horrible!!! Please see the pictures attached.. chest/pubic hair in the tub!!!
the sheets looked used
no safety lock on the door

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Buyer beware!

When we arrived at the hotel, a group was arguing with the person at the reception desk. That should have been our cue to go find another place. The arguement was heated and there were cops on site as well.

We waited our turn and got the keys to the rooms (we had booked two rooms). The carpets and sheets were dirty. One of the rooms had absolutely no working lights. The toilet in the washroom attached to one of the rooms was leaking so much that there was pool of water on the floor. We asked for either things to be rectified or that we be given a new room. But that did not happen. Because of their poor service and poor quality of rooms, we asked that they refund the money back. We were not going to stay the night in those rooms. They "refunded" the full amount. Or so we thought. But they withheld half the amount! Now it is a battle to get the rest of the money back.

If you are thinking of staying here, think twice and read all the reviews!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Holes in ceiling due to water damage, duck tape holding walls together, semin stains on the curtains, cigarette burns and stains all over the sheets, walked in room asked for refund and manager denied refund and threatened to charge me more due to loss of business and threatened to call cops...

• Stayed May 2014
Northville, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Perhaps the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. I travel extensively for work, and I cannot think of many hotels worse than this one. I'm not a picky person, and I'm pretty easy going when it comes to problems or mess ups, but this hotel is just off the chart awful. For starters, they would not let me check into my room because they did not receive the itinerary from booking.com. It took 45 minutes for me to finally have booking.com call this hotel and resend the fax. During my wait I noticed that several other people were denied check in due to similar problems....maybe they should get a new fax machine. There was, of course, no apology for making me wait around due to their error. Upon getting up to my room I noticed that there were no pillow cases, and that the pillows themselves were stained and filthy. I called down to ask for new pillows, but they "didn't have any." The desk assistant was nice enough to bring up a few extra pillow cases for me. Again, no apologies from anyone ever. Everything in the room was filthy and old. I slept on top of a towel the entire night. The bathroom had not been cleaned since the previous guest. There was tons of hair, and a soap bar left in the shower. Upon check out I had to wait behind three other guests who complained about the filth of their room. The girl at the desk literally rolled her eyes and said "whatever," before waiving them off. Breakfast was non existent. This hotel is joke. I would rather sleep in my car. Awful rooms, even worse service.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Erie
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The hotel has seen better days. It's whole ambience is of being worn, tired and ready for a complete refurbishment. Complimentary breakfast but nobody attended it. Coffee had run out and range of edibles was minimal.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Ramsey, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Well I see from some of the other reviews that this is the worst place in the world to stay. I opted to stay on a blow up mattress in my van than stay here another night. It was very dirty in the rooms, we had to switch rooms on the first because the bath tub was messed up. I could keep going but some other reviews have pretty much covered it. The only other thing I can add was I actually checked for bed bugs at this place.

Room Tip: Never a good room at this place from what I can tell.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Downtown Erie Hotel? Share your experiences!