“Disgusting hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Downtown Erie Hotel

Save Saved
You added Downtown Erie Hotel to your Saves list
Downtown Erie Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 West 18th Street, Erie, PA 16501 (Formerly "Holiday Inn")   |
Ranked #32 of 35 Hotels in Erie
oakville ontario,
“Disgusting hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night only and it will be my last......dirty and soiled box springs on the bed , visible as there was no valance.
Wrong fuse put in the heater, so it blew and the room was freezing.......paint peeling off bathroom celing along with badly stained tiles......but also had a cockroach lying on its back on the floor alive.
Got no satisfaction from the YES man at front desk......his attitude was well we booked through expedia so what did we expect........to top it off there was no hot water for a shower......they told us there were no other rooms available, even though the rooms beside us were vacant.......overall, would not recommend this dive to anyone.......a manager that has a business card on paper and a phone number that is not in service, screams. FISHY.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I called this hotel to ask some questions and I wanted to speak to the manager and/or the owner. When I called to ask the person who answered the phone wanted to know why I was asking. I told her I had some questions and comments and I wanted to direct them to someone in change. She then transferred me to a woman who said she was the assistant to the manager and that she would not transfer me to the manager and would not give me the name of the owner. What are you hiding????? She was not only rude but then threatened to sue me for harassment when I called back??? She said "I know who you are!" I'm not even sure what that meant.

I would never under any circumstance stay at this hotel. I think a nice soft spot on the lake would make for a better experience than dealing with the people at this hotel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We booked online, so the pictures do not really show the nasty interior that the hotel rooms possess. You would think that for $110, you would at least get something clean, not glamorous, just clean. When we arrived in the room, we thought at first we could just rough it for one night. I jumped in the shower to get ready for dinner(and get the heck out of the room!) While in the shower, my husband pulled off the comforter and found a huge yellow stain. Needless to say, this was the straw that broke the camel’s back after the dirty carpet and crusty furniture. We called the front desk, explained the situation and they agreed to refund our card. They gave us a receipt and we went to stay at the beautiful, brand new Sheraton hotel which is on the water for only $70 more. Highly recommend staying there instead!!! We found the next day that Downtown Erie Hotel charged our card again. The "manager" Lula, who by the way does not seem like management material, is always the one who seems to answer the phone. It makes me question if I have ever actually gotten a true manager on the phone even though I have tried repeatedly. She is rude and does not know how to have a civilized conversation without hanging up on you. I suggest the hotel get someone else to answer the phone. Better yet, give it up in the hotel business because obviously you can't run a decent business without ripping people off.

Room Tip: Stay at the Sheraton instead!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I arrived late to the hotel on a Sunday night, but even in the dark I could tell the facade was tired and old. I should have known by the 4 other cars in the parking lot that no one else wanted to stay there. I had to walk outside from the main lobby to get to my room. The elevator was dirty and rattled when it moved, so I only used it the one time. The concrete walkway to my room gave it the feel of a ghetto tenement. The room itself looked like it hadn't been remodeled since the early 90s. While I wouldn't describe it as dirty, it wasn't clean either. There was graffiti on the bathroom door that said, "This place is a s#%*hole". In addition, the toilet water always had a gray tint to it. I went to use the fitness facility which consisted of outdated equipment, one of which looked to be broken. The room that housed the equipment was small with no ventilation.
I probably slept 4 hours that night (the constant train traffic a 1/2 mile away didn't help). The next morning, I tried to use the computer in the lobby to get directions to the convention center, but it wouldn't connect to the internet. I asked the lady at the front desk for directions to convention center, but she had trouble telling me how to get to one of the largest attractions in the city that ended up being a mile down the road. Easily the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Erie
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I arrived late and exhausted to the hotel. That was my second mistake. My first mistake was booking this room without knowing anything about it. The sidewalk lights were dim and I felt a bit uncomfortable. The air felt dirty when I entered into the room. There was no "clean" smell to it at all. The carpet was filthy and I did not dare to take my shoes off and walk barefoot. There were small holes in the wall in the bathroom that I had to hang towels over. After driving 10 ½ hours all I wanted was to lie down and sleep. I foolishly decided to just deal with the cleanliness and climbed into bed. After a short period of time I got up to get something and notice a huge stain on the side of the box springs. How gross! The employees did not even try to cover it with a sheet or bed shirt. I looked the main bed over and the sheets seemed to be clean and later I was questioning that. Too tired to deal with people, I decided to return to bed. I removed the comforter and blanket from the bed (I just figured they haven’t been washed in a long time) and just used the sheet and the turned the heat on. It is hot outside and I am turning the heat in this room to avoid using the blankets. Hmm. Needless to say I did not get a good night sleep because I was itching all night. The floor in the bathroom was dirty and looked like it has been a while since it was scrubbed. The only good thing I can say about this place is that the staff was fairly friendly, I had hot water in the shower, there was electric to this room (lights were dim though) and the door locked. This hotel needs to be renovated. The amount that I paid for this room was not cheap either. I was ripped off. I plan to make more trips to Erie. Believe me; I will not be staying in this hotel. I do NOT recommend this hotel to anyone and will tell everyone about my experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Johnstown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I've been staying at this hotel for over 40 years. It's definitely not the same as when it was in its prime as a Holiday Inn, but I've never experienced any of the things written by other reviewers. I stayed here twice this summer, once at the end of July; most recently Aug. 26 through Aug. 30. Both times our room was very clean, did not have a musty odor. Our maid did a fine job every day. Plenty of clean towels, extra soap, cups, carpet was vacuumed, etc. It's an old hotel. The doors are heavy, and inconsiderate people will let them slam. I can't comment on the breakfast, as I never partake of hotel breakfasts. Over the years, if I ever had any problems/concerns, I would speak to the manager directly, and the situation would be resolved. The pool in July did have a murky color to it. However, this past trip it looked much more inviting. El Canelo restaurant has opened its doors at the hotel. El Canelo has several locations in Erie. It's a Mexican restaurant that serves pretty decent grub. They also reopened the bar, and, yes, some guests do drink too much and get loud. That's something I've experienced in my many years of traveling all over. This is a great location for anyone interested in the gem of Erie....Presque Isle. Only 5.5 miles to this wonderful state park with many beaches, walking/bike trails, kayaking, fishing. Also close is Erie Zoo, Jerry Uht ballpark, Dobbins Landing, many bars/restaurants on State St., Gannon University, just to mention a few. The location is in downtown Erie, the east side. Yes, it is just a block from Union Station; and you will hear the trains come through at night. Sirens? Yep, Erie has always had plenty of sirens with police and medical units traveling the streets. One security measure at the hotel is that you must have a room card to open the doors on the first floor. Is the hotel in the 'hood? I would say on the outskirts. Just down the street a developer is putting up townhouses that go from $170,000. Would I stay here again? Absolutely! So if you're planning a trip to Erie, give this hotel some thought.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Upon arrival the outside look acceptable, then when I entered the locks were broken the floor was dirty. I felt as if I was entering a drug zone. The first night I stayed they use two twin mattress to make the kingsize bed, the pillows smelt like vomit I had to throw them on the floor luckily I walked with my own pillows. The second day we went out and came back our bed was still unmade and the new towels had black marks on them. The last night I could not sleep because there were drunk guys in the hall way. The breakfast is nothing to talk about dry cereal, there were flies in the container and the cloth that lines the table was dirty with all milk marks. The room had patches all over. They overcharged my card by $100 I’m currently having the charge investigated. The place is dark and dirty. I will return to Pa but I will not be staying here. Please do not go here!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Downtown Erie Hotel? Share your experiences!