“Surprise! Surprise!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Downtown Erie Hotel

You added Downtown Erie Hotel to your Saves list
Downtown Erie Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 West 18th Street, Erie, PA 16501 (Formerly "Holiday Inn")   |
Ranked #32 of 35 Hotels in Erie
ny
“Surprise! Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed here by accident since we were too tired to drive home. I heard a siren and asked if it was safe. There is an ambulance service in the plaza next door and the fire department 2 blocks down. It was so cheap I expected the room to be bad. Surprise! Surprise! The place was clean and the bed was comfortable although a little dated. Once inside the room we didn't hear anymore sirens. The Mexican restaurant and bar are opening next week. We will definitely come back!

Room Tip: I couldn't believe they had smoking rooms. Most places don't.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Read this review and arm yourselves with knowledge:

As a traveling musician, I've stayed in my share of slummy motels. (Note: this is not a hotel in the least. It's a MOTEL.) I'm not picky. But this dump... this one takes the cake for repulsiveness.

My band's gig in Erie was totally unexpected. Consequently, all of the hotels in the area were booked full. I found this pit online and was led astray by some extremely misleading (and suspicious) 4 and 5-star ratings. So I called ahead and made our reservations. My first impressions weren't bad. The staff seemed friendly enough over the phone. But then... we arrived.

The neighborhood was like the worst parts of the Bronx on steroids. I'm a New Yorker, and this place had me running scared! It was a complete ghetto. Sirens were going off, the streets were deserted and filthy, and there were bums everywhere. The kind of bums with gun bulges in their jackets. Trust me, I've seen enough people toting pistols in their coats to know it from a glance. I should have ran. But instead, I put on a tough face for my bandmates and went inside.

The man at the front desk was... a joy. I say this sarcastically. He was rude, even by New York standards. I asked him if we could have our room keys, and he just kept reading his newspaper, telling me that no, our rooms were not ready, they'd be available in 20 minutes. So we sat around... on the floor. The lobby didn't look awful, but it wasn't extremely clean either. 20 minutes later, the man was still reading his paper, so my friend asked him if our rooms were done yet. He completely blew her off. He'd get to her when he was ready, princess. Another 10 minutes passed. Then 20. Then 30. And finally he called us up to the desk and gave us our keys. It was late, so we were actually grateful. In hindsight, I should have slugged him in the face.

The rooms were unbelievable. Very small, stuffy, and grotty. The first thing I noticed was a huge hole in the wall over the bed. Okay. I'd seen worse. But then I realized that the bed itself had no sheets. It did have some lovely brown stains, though. There were three lonely bedbugs frolicking about, so I crushed them and didn't see more. I went to my friends' room to see if they had any sheets on their bed. They did. I went back down to the man at the front desk to get some sheets, and he treated my simple request like I was being completely unreasonable. 15 minutes later, a maid came up to my room and thrust some linens into my arms. She wasn't going to put them on the bed for me. Okay. BFD. After she was gone, I had a more thorough look around the room.

My God.

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

There was a small desk by the window. A colony of ants had made a hole in the leg and were crawling in and out leisurely. I looked under the desk to find... a pair of blood-soaked panties. Really? REALLY? My first thoughts were something along the lines of: "Holy [--]! They killed a hooker in here!" And you know how they say your first intuition is usually right. The man at the front desk and I became very well-acquainted that night. I went down to tell him about the bloody underwear (taking the elevator that I was positive was going to crash on me.) He told me in the most gracious of ways what a pain I was, but in the end I got him to fork over the keys to a new room on the other side of the hall. I gave it yet another chance. I just didn't learn.

The second room wasn't as grotty. But the price to pay for that was that it smelled. Like turpentine and excrement, might I add. By this time I was too tired to go out, and too afraid to bathe because of the possibility that Norman Bates was waiting in my shower with a knife, so I hunkered down for the night. Needless to say I didn't sleep very well.

I was woken around daybreak when something sharp stabbed me in the back. A spring in the mattress had snapped and was now pushing through the sheets. Then it hit me. The smell from last night had gained even more strength. So much that I got on the ground and looked under the bed, expecting to find the remains of the late Amy Winehouse. Instead I found two broken syringes in a white, powdery residue. At this point, I was somewhat more awake, so I hightailed it out of there. I spent the remainder of the night in my van. Why didn't I think of that in the first place?

My friends came out of their room poorly-rested and possibly even more disturbed than me. They both had been bitten by something. Either fleas or bedbugs. Apparently the guests in the room next to them had been screaming threats at each other all night long. We didn't bother to eat the continental breakfast they promised us. We just paid and got the heck out of there while we still had our lives.

If I could give this hole a negative star rating, I would. I definitely would. If you're a law-abiding citizen who doesn't kill hookers, shoot heroin, like fleas, or enjoy verbal abuse from the hotel staff, do not stay here. Do NOT.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

The room was very clean, although dated. The hotel is in a great location, walkable to everything in downtown Erie. The exterior of the hotel was shabby, however if you can overlook that and the dated furnishings, the hotel offers a clean place to sleep when you want to be in a good location to explore the city.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Erie
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

What a terrible experience, I will never stay here again. When we arrived at the room there was a huge hole in the wall, and overall rundown. The "continental" breakfast consisted of a couple muffins in a bag, coffee, and toast. Worst of all, I was charged an extra $100 on my credit card 2 days later. When questioning about the charge the explanation I got was, "the mananger is sleeping, he didn't get much sleep last night and there must have been damage." There definitely not any damage. Totally unprofessional, perhaps illegal even? NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

we payed 65 for thur and 90 for fri and sat.. the 65 was reasonable for what u get .. but 90 way over priced.. when we got to our hotel, the elevator looked like it was going to plumet to the ground, then when we got to the top floor the walk way to our room is outside with spiders and birds flying everywhere..CRRRREEEEEPPPPY!!!! Surprise Surprise we get to our room and we have no sheets on the bed, one blanket is on the table and the other is on the couch( speaking of the couch, stained up and broken), our two pillows had no pillow cases and when i found them on the couch they each had hair on them.. not somthing I want to snuggle up too lol... I was so grateful that we brought our own sheets and pillows .. last but not least, the whole reason we wanted to stay was it was close to attractions and food, and the pics of the pool on the wensites.... WRONG!!! we have learned Pics lie big time... the pool was this nasty green color and you couldnt even see thru it.. bottom line is if u r in Erie, Pa.... DO NOT STAY AT DOWNTOWN ERIE HOTEL...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New Kensington, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

Well i wish i could rate this hotel worse than terrible but i theres not an option for that. The pictures they show u on their website are NOTHING at all what it really looks like. when we got there the pool was cloudy and green now the blue crystal clear that they show u in the picture. another person staying here threatened to shoot me and my husband, for making noise outside and its not a hotel its a motel. we got a non smoking room but everyone smokes outside on the ripped up uneven concrete balcony so all the smoke wafts into your room anyways. one vending machine works, and the restaurant is closed. time to update their website you think? alll the pictures people posted on this website are exactly what the hotel looks likes NOT the ones that the hotel posts. it was the worst hotel i ever stayed in and they DELUXE complimentary breakfast is far from deluxe. 3 bagels 4 english muffins 2 prepackaged mini muffins cherrios and milk is far from deluxe to me.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

room was quiet and comfortable. will stay again. save$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Downtown Erie Hotel? Share your experiences!