“Enjoy staying here, but does need some improvements.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center

You added The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 West 10th Street, Erie, PA 16501 (Formerly Hotel Pure Avalon)   |
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Erie
“Enjoy staying here, but does need some improvements.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I've stayed at the Avalon a few times since it is very close to the Erie Insurance Arena (about two blocks away) but haven't gotten around to writing a review until now. I stayed there again recently and had some good and bad. Overall, my stays here have been positive and I enjoy staying here especially given its good location to the arena.

This time around, I wanted to make sure I had a room with a fridge/microwave combo in the room and noticed online before I booked that the Standard King room's amenities DID include a fridge/microwave (which is cheaper than the Superior King room that includes it) so I booked a Standard King. When we got up to our room, no fridge/microwave was in the room. I call down to the front desk and I was informed to have this in our room, it was an additional charge. I explained that it said on the website that it would be included with our room, and the girl replied with "yeah...I don't know why the website says that but that's not the case". After trying to get my point across again, she finally speaks to a manager and tells me a fridge/microwave will be brought up to us which it was about 15 minutes later by a man who seemed like he was hating his job and wasn't afraid to show it...lol. Last I checked, this was still on their website so whoever manages their hotel website I feel needs to make sure this information is correct ahead of time. Another issue we came across was that all of the ice makers in the building seemed to have no ice throughout the entire day so that was a bit of a pain and I hope the management can stay on top of this a little better.

The breakfast the following morning (which was included) was good and had a good variety available so I was pretty happy with that. The hotel also offers underground parking which is nice. I also like how the rooms are pretty large for the most part and have plenty of space. You can tell in certain spots of the hotel that there does need to be some updating/improvements done but when it comes down to it I'm not staying there to stare and check out all of the hotel decor. There is definitely more positives for me about the Avalon than negatives, but again they need to make sure their information on the website is correct with their actual policies. I do plan on staying here again!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Erica R, Director of Sales at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to address you stay with us here at the Avalon. I would like to apologize for the substandard service you received from our staff. It looks like we need to brush up on our customer service skills. We are glad that you enjoyed the complimentary parking and breakfast and hope that you visit us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Hotel staff was very customer friendly. we stayed at 3rd floor in KING SUITE. Room were spacious with TV, Study table, microwave and fridge. The internet speed was very good. I needed an extra pair of bedding and they were very supportive to accommodate that request.

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor are really good. specially SUPERIOR KING SUITE.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Erica R, Director of Sales at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for your kind words David! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us in a Superior suite. Anytime you stay, our staff is more than happy to accommodate your needs. We appreciate your business and hop your stay with us in the future,
Greentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

First... Erie is having a rough time. That said, I think this in town "old style" hotel is working hard to try to due it right. The front desk was pleasant, professional, and helpful ( I don't remember her name, but she said she was there 18 yrs). We found the room clean and comfortable. Parking was below the hotel. My wife and I felt safe. If I had to find anything to work on, I would try to move breakfast up a noch or two.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Erica R, Director of Sales at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, November 12, 2014
Thank you very much for your thoughtful comments. Our Front Desk Manager has been with us for 18 years and I am glad to hear that they were friendly during your stay. Erie is a growing city that is trying to attract tourism and we are working hard to continue to make improvements. We hope that when you come back to Erie you will choose the Avalon once again for all of your lodging needs!
Lititz, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014

We were very surprised to find the condition of your elevator floor-chipped, wore and disgusting. Upon arriving to our room on the 7th floor, let me review the appalling conditions:
1. Blood stain on the top of the comforter.
2. Stopper in the bathroom sink was missing.
3. The sink did not drain...at all.
4. My wife very upset pulled the bed back only to find a hair in the bed.
5. The ice machine on the 7th floor was inoperable.

The front desk was very nice and did offer another room however, our concern was that if these basics were unable to be achieved then another room would not make a difference.
When I went to the front desk for a full refund based on these sub-par and unacceptable conditions, I was told that only the Manager could issue a refund and she would not be in until Monday. I am a frequent traveler and have never experienced an issue with regard to refunding a hotel charge immediately. The staff should have the ability, day or night to provide great customer service which includes a refund for an unhappy customer.

We are waiting to hear from the Manager regarding the refund.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Erica R, Director of Sales at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. I apologize for the uncleanliness of your guest room due to not meeting our quality standards. Our ice machine was unfortunately our of order and I hope that the front desk was able to assist your needs. It is our hotel policy that front desk agents are not permitted to provide a refund, our General Manager or Front Desk Manager will gladly be able to discuss these issue with you and you may feel free to call them at any time.
Moon, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2014

The hotel room was TERRIBLE!! Most disgusting room that I ever stayed in. And believe me if it was not so late in the night and if there were other rooms available in the area we would have left. Especially with it being over $125.00 for one night. These are the things that were gross:
spiders (2) on the walls, crumbs on the carpet, wallpaper was peeling off, STAINS/Blood on the mattress pads and comforters, tub/shower had a blue substance in it (either soap or toothpaste), brownish stains dripping down the walls and splatters of GOD KNOW WHAT on the wall between the beds (looked like blood) and the Beds were probably 20+ years old and very uncomfortable. Air conditioning was not available and we had to open the windows with no screens .. UTTERLY REPLUSIVE!!!! We had nightmares and hardly got any rest!!!! When we complained to the front desk she informed us that they normally do not even use the 3rd floor at all but they were all booked up!!! Should gut out the 3rd floor if you ask me...

Room Tip: never ever stay on the 3rd floor. Or inspect the room first. We stayed a few years ago but had a W...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Erica R, Director of Sales at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
Thank you for expressing your concerns Mary and we apologize for your displeasure. We have not completed a full remodel and only have a portion of the guest rooms complete. However, it us unacceptable that the room was not clean. I will be certain to discuss this with our housekeeping staff to resolve any further problems. We hope that you will re-conisder staying with us and try a renovated room next time.
Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

The Avalon promoted and offered a booking to families promising a safe family friendly environment with superb service. Not only was this false advertising, the customer service was appalling and the clientele of the hotel were far from family friendly.

Renovated rooms as shown in online photos do not exist. The linens and curtains are stained. The carpets and tubs were dirty and chipped. Several rooms contained large spiders and smelled of smoke.

The environment was a party environment. Guests were drinking in the hallways and on the elevators. Hallways became full of individual at the hotel for receptions and who were not paying guests of the hotel. Guests were yelling and fighting in the hallways from 1:00am -4:30am. Exits were blocked with beer coolers and fighting guests. Multiple calls were made to management to resolve the situation. The disturbances were not addressed. Victoria at the front desk stated, “this is the bar group coming in and we are here to serve them as a neighborhood hotel and not you.”

The parking garage that stated it was there for guests was full of individuals attending a reception. The garage became so full that cars were parked in. Management was contacted and they stated the guests would have to find street parking even if it were blocks away.

Multiple calls were and have been made to managers and general manager. All staff was rude and hung up the phone during the conversation. The management was completely unwilling to resolve the situation.

Do Not stay here unless you do not want any sleep, want bugs crawling on you, or want to be treated like your family's safety does not matter.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Wexford, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

Although our room was clean and the bed was comfortable, we were very disappointed in our two night stay in a 7th floor room at the Avalon for the following reasons:
- The walls, windows and doors were almost porous to sound: Around 1 am the first night a group of folks had an extended conversation in the hallway and we could hear what they were saying, later we could hear a person snooring serveral rooms away, the enxt night we could hear a person who was having a coughing spell in a room somewhere down the hall, and the noise from groups at street level interrupted our sleep both nights...
- Since the hotel doesn't restrict parking to only hotel guests, there was no place to park in the underground or surface parking areas.
- The towels were small, thin, and scratchy.
- The three pillows on the kingsize bed were small and very thin,
- There was a 12 inch by 4 inch hole above the window in our room where there was obvious water damage that looked as though it had been there for some time.
- When I headed to a nearby parking lot to get our car before we checked out, there was a young man standing in the hallway near our room drinking a bottle of Mountain Dew. I asked if I could help him and he said no. I reported it to the front desk as I left. The attendant said she would care for it and she headed for the elevators. I later learned that two of our friends were staying in the room beside where he was standing and they overheard the attendant's conversation with the young man... apparently he was staying in a room on a lower floor.... We have no idea what he was doing on our floor at 7:30 am and are thankful that the situation was addressed.
- The bathroom was well worn, especially the shower, and there was what appeared to be a 5 inch circular burn mark on the bathroom door.
- Other colleagues reported that the temperatures in their rooms were over 80 degress and they had to ask for fans. When we arrived in our room, the window was open, apparently in a attempt to cool it down.
- When we checked in, there was only one clerk assisting patrons, there was quite a line at 9:30 pm, and the clerk was clearly very frustrated.

The only reason we stayed at the Avalon was its proximity to the downtown church where a multiple day training event was being held. The other participants agreed that we should have found a different hotel!

Room Tip: I suggest that you stay in one of Erie's much nicer hotels either on the bayfront, on the westsi...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Erica R, Director of Sales at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 16, 2014
Thank your for your feedback Tracy! We do have security on hand to limit the noise, being centrally located in downtown it is heard to deter the outside noise. You stayed in one of our renovated guest rooms and I apologize for your dissatisfaction. I will have to have our maintenance crew take a look at the window seal. We do try and ensure a speedy check-in and usually have two front desk agents on board during the check-in time. We currently are training some new employees s and I thank you for your patience in this training process. Our parking garage is complimentary to all of our hotel guests and we are glad that you had the opportunity to take advantage of this. Downtown parking is limited in the area and we are happy to offer this to our guests. We do hope you re-consider staying with us in the future!

Been to The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!