“overall a decent stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center

You added The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 West 10th Street, Erie, PA 16501 (Formerly Hotel Pure Avalon)   |
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Erie
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
“overall a decent stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Me and my wife booked are stay for june 28th to 29th. The hotel was easy to find but it was a little difficult to find where to park. We went in the lobby, very nice looking and the women at the front desk were very friendly. We booked online and there were no problems with getting are room. The parking garage was under the buliding and had no issues with that. We go in the elevator, it had a odder but it wasn't to bad. We get to are room and it was actually pretty nice. We got the superior room with the king sized bed. The room was clean with no odders. The room also had a nice view of Erie. The free Wi-Fi worked good. The only problem with the room were, the sink in the bathroom drained very slowly. The top of the shower curtain had a red stain in it. The showerhead was kind low for me and the shower water kept getting hot and cold. The A/C in the had trouble cooling down the room. I set it to 68 degrees that night, when i woke up in the morning it only got down to 71 degrees. My and me wife liked the complimentary coffee in the room and the coffee marker was clean. Now we didn't get down to enjoy the free breakfast til 10pm. I know that's late but all that was left was fruit, one muffin which I ate. Cereal with milk almost gone; some orange juice and oatmeal. Also there was cereal all over the floor, garbage was overflowing. Least the fruit at muffin were good. Overall are experience was good. If I find my self needing a place stay in Erie again. We would give The Avalon Hotel another try.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Erica R, Director of Sales at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
We thank your for choosing the Avalon as your destination hotel for the weekend! We are glad that your enjoyed our amenities and hope you were able to experience the downtown nightlife! We are currently looking on making some improvements with our breakfast in the morning and adding a few hot items to the selections. We would love for you to try us out again in the future. Once again, thank you for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Having stayed throughout the Erie, PA area on various locations, I was unprepared for the horror that a friend and I experienced at Avalon Hotel & Convention Center. To begin, when we arrived at the hotel, we were told the parking garage (free for hotel guests) was full due to two weddings taking place at the hotel. We ended up grabbing dinner and coming back and were able to park. When we did so, we arrived to a man in a gray Chevy sedan wrecking into a large pole in the garage, pausing, and then hitting the pole again, taking off his passenger side mirror, part of the door, and miscellaneous other parts of the front of the car. The man then sped away. Thinking that this man was either extremely intoxicated or stealing the car, my friend and I rushed into the lobby and reported the event to the woman working the desk. I'm not sure why she didn't share the same level of concern we did, but she was very calm and casual and simply called a maintenance man to clean it up. We suggested that she report it to the police, and she said it wasn't worth it since the gentleman had already left. We noticed that there were several security cameras at the front desk and inquired as to whether there were cameras in the garage. After she said yes, we asked that she or a manager review them and she said there was no one to do that. Not the most welcoming of first moments. After receiving our room assignment, we proceeded to it. Room 623. The room completely added to the horrific experience. To start, when you walk in the room, there were two large white spots on the floor. Approximately 6x8" and 9"12". It was disgusting. The bathroom shower curtain looked as though it was approximately 15 years old and had never been replaced nor sanitized in any which way. The bathtub part of the shower had chunks missing from it, as though someone had taken a sledge hammer to it and jabbed out certain pieces. The rest of the bathroom was acceptable. Unless you wanted to dry off after your shower. There were four towels in the bathroom. Two "bath" towels and two hand towels. The bath towels were approximately 18 x 36" inches, barely big enough for a small child to wrap themselves in. The material was very poor quality and barely did the job it was designed for. The rest of the room wasn't horrible, but it wasn't very nice either. There was a musty smell that permeated the entire room and various other dirty aspects, including handprints and stains. The room came with a continental breakfast. While this contained nothing more than three cereals, bananas, and bagels, it was a nice offering. Unless you wanted a bagel. There was practically a riot at breakfast when someone pointed out that the cream cheese was spoiled and someone was sick in the bathroom after having consumed it. This was about five seconds before my friend ate her own bagel, and we were both so disgusted we left without eating anything.

Further, we had booked through hotels.com and selected this hotel because we wanted to enjoy a pool. Upon checkin, we were told that "the pool was broke" and therefore we were unable to use it. That information should be included on the hotel website so that we would have known. Finally, the hotel is in what can only be described as a somewhat sketchy location. Near the hotel are homeless persons, cars with broken windows, and many closed shops. Further, there is a mini mart behind the hotel that sells individual beer cans and bottles (not sure how, as this is generally illegal in PA), which attracts what I can only call a "special" crowd. This is not thirty feet from the back of the hotel, and led to a large number of scary individuals being present near the entrance throughout the day and night.

Last, but not least, I would ask a health inspector to visit the ice machines on any floor of the hotel. They are rusted on the inside and out. I worked in the food service business for years and know how to inspect and clean these machines. I'm not sure how old they are, but at least ten years. That itself is fine, but these machines need to be maintained. You cannot have a machine serving ice to humans that is filled with rust, as this will result in your guests getting ill and most likely a major lawsuit.

I would NEVER, EVER stay at this hotel again, nor would i recommend it to anyone. This hotel should be investigated by the health board and visited by executives of the hotel chain.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Erica R, Director of Sales at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
I am extremely concerned to note your dissatisfaction during your stay. Thank you for sparing your time and bringing this matter to our attention. We did proceed with a police report for the incident that occurred in our parking garage. We are currently looking into amenities that will better satisfy our customers. As the hotel has not completed full renovations, we would love for you to stay again in one of our Superior guest rooms. We appreciate your comments which will help us serve you and all of our guests better in the future.
Erie, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I am not sure what happened to this property, it is run down, dirty...well filthy, air conditioning did not work, delays in serving food, guests all left early 2 hours before the event ended. Some guests who spent the night reported soiled toilet paper, holes in the floor, no AC, no towels available to use just as a few examples, of course I heard it all since I arranged one of the events due to a previous contract made by someone else. The fix for the AC in the one banquet room was to open the doors to let in more humidity and have all the street traffic feel free to join us. Couldn't hear the speakers due to the road noise and non functioning AV equipment. They didnt have items as promised, linens soiled, banquest plates heavily soiled, no coffee, had to clean up our own tables, I could go on and on, but I think you get it.

I wonder if someone else took over this property. Truly will never return, it is an embarrasment to the city.

Room Tip: There are multiple other places to choose from not far away
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
On behalf of the Avalon and Conference Center, kindly accept our sincere apologies for not being able to provide you the high standard of hospitality. The hotel was experiencing heating/cooling issues that weekend which have now been resolved. We would love for you to come back and give us a second try and I assure you that you will be pleased!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

This was our 2nd time staying at the the Avalon and and our last. We booked our rooms through Expedia. We attempted to check in...gave the name...no room registered to that name. The woman at the desk said she hoped we had the wrong hotel because she had no rooms for us. I found my husband who had booked the rooms. He called Expedia and they gave him a reservation number. We attempted to check in a 2nd time. The number entered and we have our rooms. The rooms were listed as Jr and Sr. instead of our names.
We were traveling with my MIL and FIL. We found our rooms on the 3rd floor after taking the dirty and slow elevator. Our room looked like a flash back to 1974...2 double beds...we requested a king. One small towel per person adn the bottom of the shower curtain was quite dark from mildew. My husband hears my MIL yelling for him from the next room. We enter their room to find a bucket of chicken, food everywhere, an unmade bed, old soap and wet bathroom floor. The room was the aftermath of a small party. My husband calls the front desk and gets them moved to another room. We reurn to our room to find that the TV won't turn on. He calls again. The cords were plugged in wrong. I try to take a shower but the water never got hot but I suffered through.
MY in laws phone never worked and they had to call the desk for a new TV remote.
After returning to our room about 11pm we realized we needed a few more pillows since they were quite small. My hsuabnd calls, and calls and called again ....after 5 calls tot he desk and yes, he spoke to someone we gave up and went to sleep. We finally fell asleep when a knock came to the door and I find a little woman holding pillows. We tried not to use the bedspread because upon folding it back we found it was covered in countless yellow and brown stains. I almost puked.
The shower never got hot and was so cold at one point my husband was swearing the whole time he showered.
The breakfast is a joke. The put food out and never tend to it again. The waffle machine was still sitting out late Saturday night with the batter splattered all over the table from the pevious breakfast. They have a small somewhat warm fridge that they put a carton of milk and juice for everyone. Gross. We did not want to eat here. My husband went looking for a staff member and peeked into the kitchen and said the area was filthy.
Parking..there isnone unless you count the dungeon of a basebment that makes it hard to manuever a vehicle. They told us we could not park in front of the hotel byt both nights we were there the same vehicles were backed int tohe spots for the night.
They had 2 weddings there on Saturday so there was a ton of people coming and going and Saturday night there was alot of drunk people lingering. We had a load of drunks in our elevator and they were a bit obnoxious. I would not stay here again with my dogs and I sure as heck would not take small children here.
It was missing alot of little things...like the fold out suitcase holder, the knobs were missing of of the dresser in our room so we could not open them. We had to throw our suitcases on the floor. I was surprised but it did havea working blow dryer. The TV is old, no fridge, microwave...nothing. The 2nd morning we didn't even get replacement coffee for the in room coffee maker.
If you have to stay here for some reason...take your own sheets/blanket, wear shoes, don't count on hot water, take your own pillows and get a tetanus shot.
The only thing we liked was that it was close to STate Street but next time we visit Erie we will be taking a taxi to State Street from another hotel.
My husband tried to talk to the hotel about the problems and they told us to take it up with Expedia because that is hwo we paid for the rooms. SO much for wanting to improve the quality!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Erica R, Director of Sales at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Crusingrace

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We truly value your comments and look upon feedback as a gift to help us continually enhance our guests' experience. We sincerely apologize that your experience as a whole was less than ideal. Rest assure your comments will be passed along to our management team so that we can address our team appropriately so this does not happen again. We hope that you give us another chance in the future to see how your feedback has helped us prosper. Thanks again.
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed two nights for a wedding, the room was clean, the only problem with the room, was that the bathroom sink drained very slow. The hotel was within walking distance to many things. On Saturday night we did hear some noise from the street and hallway, but I find that to be the case in every hotel that we stay in.
The front desk staff, especially Ashley and Norma were very helpful. Upon my return home I realized that I did not have my $500.00 Kate Spade sunglasses. It seems that I dropped them in the lobby, Norma the Manager was kind enough to FedEx them to me.
I would definitely stay at the Avalon again.

Room Tip: Explain your needs to the front desk, they are most accommodating.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for being our guest and sharing your experience.

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback. Norma has been with the hotel for over 16 years and we are glad that she is a part of our Avalon family

We value your comments regarding our facilities and our helpful staff. We will keep working hard to offer top class service to you and we are already awaiting you back for your next stay!
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

They supplied 2 towels for 3 people- good news is they were so thin they dried fast!
They gave our room key out at 2:30am so we were woken up with strangers coming in our room. They never apologized. They gave our relatives someone else's key upon arriving. There was no security so the loud people didn't have to worry about being asked to quiet down. All that being said if they had been pleasant at the front desk just one time- I might have given it a "good value".

• Stayed June 2014
I would like to take this moment to apologize for the service that you were given during your stay with us. Our front desk agents have been trained to provide quality customer service and it seems as though we have faltered. There is no reason that your room keys should have been given to any other guests besides yourself. We take your comments seriously and will re-evaluate our training procedures. Thank you for your comments and we hope that you will stay with us again in the future
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

When you visit the front desk one morning and see a sign that reads, "THERE ARE NO TOWEL'S," not only does someone need to brush up on their grammar, but it also might dawn on you that you aren't exactly staying in four-star accommodations.

Such is the reality at Erie's Avalon Hotel, which offers one-star comfort at four-star prices. Come on in!

We booked the Avalon for two nights because we were attending a wedding reception there. While the reception facilities were fine, the hotel is sadly lacking in basic services for those who actually have to spend a night or two there.

Let's get the good out of the way first: The room was large and the bed was comfortable. The decor was a bit dated and shabby, but who really cares as long as you get a good night's sleep, right? The location was convenient: close to restaurants, bars, theaters and Erie's minor-league baseball ballpark and multi-purpose arena.

OK, that's it for the positives.

About that comfy bed and good night's sleep: The walls here are very thin. You can hear EVERY SINGLE NOISE your neighbors make -- both in the next room or perhaps five floors down on the street outside. Conversations, sneezes, coughs, shower singing, alarms, wake-up calls, mysterious squeaky bed-spring noises, etc., can all be overheard. At least you don't have to worry about Jack Nicholson busting through your door with an ax -- because you could hear him coming from a mile away.

Housekeeping never arrived to clean, and when we left for the wedding I called the front desk to request that housekeeping clean while we were gone. They never arrived. When we returned two hours later the room had still not been cleaned. I tried to call the front desk, but was placed on hold. After remaining on hold for 15 minutes, I hung up and tried calling again. No answer. I called the outside line. No answer. No housekeeping crew ever arrived. We had to go to the front desk to ask for toilet paper, like Oliver Twist begging for more.

The parking here is free, but terrible. There aren't enough spaces, for starters. Also, a van was parked across four of the spaces and never moved during our stay. The garage is dirty, and most spaces fall smack in the middle of giant roof-supporting poles that dot the already claustrophobic space.

Trust me, even a mid-sized car feels like a tank trying to park in this dungeon. For an extra treat, perhaps you might found yourself penned in on the driver's side by one of the poles, leading to an awkward vault across to the passenger's side for your eventual exit. Just pretend you're busting out of Alcatraz.

Now back to the towels: There is no towel bar in the bathroom. None. Zero. Zilch. The towels are simply stacked on the counter, using up valuable space. There was a hook on the back of the door, but really no good place to hang your towel if you wanted to re-use it. On the last day of our stay, the hotel literally RAN OUT of towels, leading to the previously mentioned, grammatically challenged sign.

What kind of a hotel runs out of towels?

Other than a bed, an uncomfortable desk chair and an old TV, there were no furnishings in our deluxe king room. Maybe the "superior" king rooms are nicer. Caution: Attempting to sit in this so-called "desk chair" risks a hit to the pocketbook in the form of unwanted chiropractic bills.

There was a hole in the floor of the room. I also found someone's used bobby pins -- complete with hair attached -- randomly scattered on the floor. And it wasn't even nice hair, either.

My parents' room on a different floor had a broken air conditioner. Let's take a short quiz: If one of your customers tells you the air-conditioning isn't working (in late May/early June), the correct response is:

A. I'm so terribly sorry. We'll send someone up right away; failing that, we'll put you in a new room;
B. We'll send someone up if we can find someone to take care of it;
C. We'll set you up with a fan.

If the answer is anything other than A, perhaps the hotel business isn't for you.

Oh, and the fan never arrived. My parents slept with the windows open -- windows that didn't have screens. But at least the local birds had shelter.

Upon checkout, there were probably 30 people in line waiting for the one clerk to process everything while another employee watched and commented on the size of the line. If you know your hotel is fully booked and checkout is 11, wouldn't it stand to reason that you might need an extra person at the desk?

Look, I know it's hard to make it as an independent hotel, especially in the middle of downtown where parking is problematic. But come on, it's not THAT hard.

Room Tip: If every other hotel in Erie (and the campground) is fully booked and you have no choice but to stay...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
First and foremost I would like to thank you for taking time out of your day for writing your review. Our guest’s feedback is very important to us. I want to apologize for the lack of service that you experienced during your stay. Due to our downtown location we are able to offer complimentary parking in our garage which can accommodate up to 65 vehicles, I apologize of this was unable to meet your expectations. We do have an abundance of towels and it is disheartening to hear that you were not provided with extra towels nor a friendly response. Our housekeeping and front desk staff are currently undergoing new training to increase our customer service skills. I hope despite the bad circumstances with your stay, that we will have the chance to serve you again in the future.

Been to The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!