“Conference Trip” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center

Save Saved
You added The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 West 10th Street, Erie, PA 16501 (Formerly Hotel Pure Avalon)   |
Ranked #28 of 35 hotels in Erie
Buffalo, New York
“Conference Trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Have been here twice for conferences. The property is a little dog eared but generally clean. There is parking under the hotel but it is limited and if the hotel is busy you might have to park at a nearby ramp. The staff has always been very courteous and helpful. On my most recent trip Norma at the front desk was great - always available to help with the little things that always pop up on trips. So far have always been able to control the heat in the rooms without it becoming a nuisance.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

222 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I was at this hotel today for a business meeting when I learned that a colleague of mines mother had passed away and was struggling to make arrangements. Neither one of us are tech savy and were having a difficult time. Heather at the front desk became our hero. She went above and beyond to help us. A true asset to you establishment! Thanks!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

We booked an office holiday party here for the sole reason that it was close to work. Never again. There was trash and food debris on the carpet throughout the room. Upon my request, the vaccumed the worst spots before the event began but there was no time to do the whole room. There was a Christmas tree in the room that looked as if ornaments and robbons had literally been thrown at it--not exactly festive decor. Chairs were randomly strewn about the room. They could not get the holiday music playing on the PA system without a loud buzzing noise that almost completely cancelled out the music. The buffets were missing utensils until I requested them, and many of the serving dishes were visibly dirty. The microphone was not set up (as requested) and was only done so after tracking down staff members. Plates were not cleared from tables until a staff member could be located and asked to do so. Don't waste your time and money having an event here. There are plenty of better options in downtown Erie.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Can I say enough nice things about this Hotel. I stayed at this hotel many times over the years and I'll keep coming back. The staff is very helpful and if you have any need it's only a question away. I attended a conference at the Avalon and stay for two nights . Very comfortable even with the remodeling they have been undergoing for almost a year now . I was in order room but also visited friends in some of the newer remodeled rooms and they're all just gorgeous. I wholeheartedly recommend staying at the Avalon when you need downtown Erie accommodations.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I enjoyed my stay. Although there were some things wrong but overall I liked the hotel. They had very nice housekeepers. The front desk employees were exceptional and polite. The two that helped me feel more welcome were Heather and Alex. They had very positive attitudes and kept a smile on their faces. I would recommend this hotel to pretty much anyone. The hotel is convenient to everything downtown and was very nice. Thanks for the comfortable stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed at The Avalon for six days. It's location is fantastic. I can't comment on other rooms but the one I occupied was very reasonably priced and comfortable.

The housekeeping staff are friendly and efficient. The front desk personnel were professional and helpful.

For a reasonably priced, conveniently located hotel, I would recommend this to anyone visiting Erie.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
College Station
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding. The wedding was beautiful and the ballroom was great. But that's where it all ends.

I had to give this hotel a rating just so I could publish my review. If it were an option to not select a rating, I would have gone that route.

The hotel lists a shuttle is available. In reality, it is a Honda minivan that was driven by the maintenance man for the hotel, who just happened to be available to pick up us up at the airport. We were greeted at the front desk by a couple of teenage employees, other than the lack of professionalism I am accustomed to at hotels, they got us checked in. The entire hotel is dated The hotel restaurant was closed and appeared to only open for weekend breakfast buffets. Our room was supposedly remodeled, which I'd hate to see what the room looked and smelled like before. The entire room smelled gross; a mildew smell mixed with some other stench. The bath tub did not drain and we had to take showers standing in 5 inches of water. We called the lobby and they said they would send maintenance, but no one showed up (probably driving the shuttle, again). I ended up going next door to my sister's room to shower. That bathtub didn't drain either. The next day we decided to use her shower again since the maintenance guy never showed up. We pulled back the shower curtain and apparently the plumbing backed up into her tub and their was who knows what in the tub. We called down to the lobby and again, no one showed up. There were some bugs on the wall in my room that I had to kill with a shoe. The walls are thin; plus the doors have giant gaps at the bottom. You can hear EVERYTHING, no matter if it was coming from the next room or the hallway. If Bounty came in bath towel size, this is what this hotel offers as towels. I CANNOT REITERATE HOW AWFUL THIS "HOTEL" IS. Save yourself the trouble and grief and just find another hotel.

Room Tip: Trip Advisor wouldn't let me type this in all Caps>>>as far as I'm concerned there...